OT: What is the most fascinating Christian topic?

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 15 2013 1:06 PM

Let's suppose that you have to read x number of hours a day; or you're tasked with writing a thesis for your graduate studies in theology / bible studies  etc...

Now, which one topic or theme would excite you and keep you motivated the most?

P.S. This is just for fun and learning. I'm hoping the feedback motivates me for my next readathon :) thanks for sharing.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 1:34 PM

The Resurrection of Jesus. I have a couple of really good books on that, one of which is in Logos and I got it on a sale. I haven't read the books, just glanced in the print book and I don't remember anything.

Another option would perhaps be Origen. I don't know how much there is to study and I have very few books on him and not all of his works and practically no modern English translations.

Or another option would be Ptolemy (Valentinianism). I have little on that also and find it hard to find books.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 3:06 PM

If I had to do a doctoral thesis I would like to do it on the unity of the OT/NT and Progressive Revelation.

My next actual readathon will be on views on eschatology.  I don't have as firm a grasp on all sides as I would like, and I have a friend that has decided that he aligns himself with dispensationalism.  I reject that point-of-view, but I have not studied all views enough to really form an intelligent refutation.  To that end, I purchased The Meaning of the Millennium:  Four Views for Kindle (not available in Logos), The Last Things: An Eschatology for Laymen by George Ladd, and A Theology of the New Testament, rev. ed., also by Ladd.  I have all of the requisite Revelation commentaries to get different perspectives as well.

I will also add that they gave me a deal on A Theology of the New Testament, rev. ed. (about $10 off).

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1605
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 10:46 PM

The story of the development of Evangelical Lutheran Christology in the 16th Century - from Melanchthon's 1521 Loci to Chemnitz's Two Natures of Christ and the Formula of Concord...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 18712
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 10:50 PM

I go through different phases of being intensely interested in this or that topic, but my attention span isn't long enough to sustain me through a dissertation. I'd rather have a variety of topics than obsess about one for so long.

That said, I could probably never tire of returning again and again (with adequate breaks in between) to Genesis and Revelation, my two favorite books of the Bible.

At present I'm intrigued by some of the new ideas on a non-violent interpretation of the Atonement and would like to do some reading about that.

I'd also love to give Calvin's Institutes another thorough read one of these days, especially now that I've got the Battles/McNeill edition.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 5:00 AM

I suggest starting with Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper (sadly not yet in Logos), and then work your way from there. It's an incredibly fascinating book, that should be even more fascinating given your roots in the Holy Land.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 7:09 AM

Sleiman:
Let's suppose that you have to read x number of hours a day; or you're tasked with writing a thesis for your graduate studies in theology / bible studies  etc...

A thesis would by nature by a narrowly focused study, so a lot of broad topics would have to be ruled out, though such topics might be good 'life topics' for extended study.

For this kind of thing, I'd like to explore the non-forensic aspects of Pauline soteriology; apostolicity in Acts; pneumatology in Luke-Acts; Jewish feast theology and practices as interpretive clues in the gospel of John; background, usage and purpose of the term mystery (μυστήριον) in Pauline literature. (I may come up with more as I think about this, but I've got other duties this morning.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 7:15 AM

Hebrews 4:1-11. I understand not much work has been done on this.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1893
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 10:28 AM

As an academic exercise, because it really interests me, I wouldn't mind spending 3-5 or so intense years studying textual criticism.

Exegetically, I suppose Romans 5 and whether the terms "all" and "the many" refer to different groups of people.

Theologically, at the top of my mind is studying the essential continuity of "the people of God."

My $ .02 ...

Donnie

Posts 81
Jim Wait | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 12:17 PM

The most fascinating and enriching study I have ever done is to read slowly through N T Wright's Christian Origin series.  Also Richard B Hays "The Faith of Jesus Christ."  All available on Logos!

Posts 2338
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 1:04 PM

I have enjoyed reading the responses to this well framed question. Like Rosie I have a wide palate of interests. But, one "pearl of great price" I stumbled across that draws me back again and again is the Old Testament conception of "hesed" (Hebrew חֶסֶד ) and its relation to the New Testament fulfillment in "grace" and "mercy" and its embodiment in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have a little book The Word "Hesed" in the Hebrew Bible by Gordon R. Clark http://www.logos.com/product/17534/the-word-hesed-in-the-hebrew-bible I bought the field as part of a bundle http://www.logos.com/product/6459/history-of-old-testament-interpretation-collection

Also important is the work and author of The Meaning of Hesed in the Hebrew Bible: A New Inquiry by Katharine Doob Sakenfeld a Yale trained scholar who is the editor for The New Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible, which is shamefully slowly gathering interest in pre-pub. I urge all who read this post to pre-order this important work. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 1:17 PM

Sleiman:

A number of years ago I was at a conference where I heard a fairly prominent pastor speaking on leadership. He planted a church and determined that the first year they should have no physical growth in order to establish the core membership  In order to keep people from coming he determined to preach through Leviticus. God had the final say and the church grew anyway. 

When he said that, I had two reactions. (1) I nodded in understanding. Leviticus can be a hard slog to read through. (2) I was immediately struck by God's Spirit that we were maligning part of God's word. Since that conference I have repeatedly gone back many times to study this precious book. For in its pages I can perceive the unfathomable holiness of God, the depravity of sin, and the majesty of grace in redemption. Every blood soaked page is a lens into the glory of the lamb of God.

I keep coming back to Leviticus studies.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 6:46 PM

Sleiman:

Two:

The nature and glory of God.

The Son - from eternity to eternity

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 7:33 PM

Dear Joseph: Might I recommend a small, easy to read book by Kenneth Myers: The end is near, or, maybe not. Kindle available .

Its a work on Matt. 24.

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 8:04 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Dear Joseph: Might I recommend a small, easy to read book by Kenneth Myers: The end is near, or, maybe not. Kindle available .

Its a work on Matt. 24.

That looks like a great suggestion.  Thanks!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 8:09 PM

TCBlack:

Sleiman:

A number of years ago I was at a conference where I heard a fairly prominent pastor speaking on leadership. He planted a church and determined that the first year they should have no physical growth in order to establish the core membership  In order to keep people from coming he determined to preach through Leviticus. God had the final say and the church grew anyway. 

When he said that, I had two reactions. (1) I nodded in understanding. Leviticus can be a hard slog to read through. (2) I was immediately struck by God's Spirit that we were maligning part of God's word. Since that conference I have repeatedly gone back many times to study this precious book. For in its pages I can perceive the unfathomable holiness of God, the depravity of sin, and the majesty of grace in redemption. Every blood soaked page is a lens into the glory of the lamb of God.

I keep coming back to Leviticus studies.

In the future, this will pay dividends in ways you can't imagine.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2013 10:52 PM

Joseph Turner:

My next actual readathon will be on views on eschatology.  

James Stuart Russels "The Parousia" is probably the most interesting and enlightening book available on the topic. Definitely an eye opener. This is the book that caused R.C. Sproul to rethink his view and write "Last days according to Jesus".

Sprouls book is available on Logos (as part of package). Russels can be found in print or as free download variousmplaces online. Google books has it in PDF or ePub download.

Sometimes the truth isnt mainstream or popular. It can be downright unpopular.

Posts 26845
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 12:48 AM

The Psalms themselves and the Psalms in Jewish and Christian prayer & worship and the psalms in metrical translation and the psalms ... and the psalms ... and the psalms ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18712
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 1:00 AM

MJ. Smith:

The Psalms themselves and the Psalms in Jewish and Christian prayer & worship and the psalms in metrical translation and the psalms ... and the psalms ... and the psalms ...

Yes

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2013 7:59 PM

Identity of the Abomination of Desolation and the identity of the Anti-Messiah / Man of Sin.

WILL

BLOW

YOUR

MIND

Hab. 1:5

Friend of mine said, "This is HUGE!!!"

Indeed.

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS