How do I make a Table of Contents in a Personal Book?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1242
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 19 2013 11:02 AM

Can anyone point me to a detailed explanation or wiki of how to make a table of contents for a personal book? I know that it has to do with setting up headings in word, but I am really in the dark about how it all works exactly. A very very detailed explanation would be the best (because I'm not much of a word afficianado).

Thanks all!

Posts 29033
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 11:11 AM

Liam Walsh:
A very very detailed explanation would be the best (because I'm not much of a word afficianado).

HERE is the wiki about Personal Books, but I don't think it goes much into detail about TOC. I don't have a "very detailed" answer, but hopefully my short answer will suffice.

When you create various heading styles (or use the prebuilt ones in Word), Logos automatically creates a hierarchy in a TOC. For example, "Heading 2" will be nested inside of "Heading 1." 

If you are creating a personal book from scratch, this isn't too difficult. A simple TOC can be created by only using "Heading 1" for chapters in a book, or main points in a sermon, etc. If you are building something more complicated (such as a collection of sermons), you may want to "nest" headings. Again, it is simply a matter of thinking through what you want nested. (3 goes into 2; 2 goes into 1). 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1242
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 11:19 AM

This is great Alabama! Thank you!

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 10:31 PM

Liam, I'm rather late to this party, but when I make a TOC in a PB, I also like to link up the entries in it to the headings that it refers to, so that once I build and open the Logos book, I will be able to click on those links on the TOC page of the resource even if I don't have the TOC pane open.

To do this, I set up bookmarks at each of the chapter headings (and sub-sections too, if the TOC lists those), using Word's Insert Bookmark command. Select the heading paragraph first, then do Insert Bookmark, enter a name for it, and click Add. I name the bookmarks for easy reference/memory: e.g., ch1 and so on.

Then I go to the TOC and select each chapter title (and sub-section title, if applicable) in turn and insert a hyperlink there, and set it to jump to the corresponding bookmark. To do this, do Insert Hyperlink (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+K or Cmd+K on Mac). Under "Link to" select "Place in this document" and then under Bookmarks, select the bookmark you want to link to.

The particular example in these screenshots is a manually created TOC because the book came from a document that already had one in it.

But if you want to do an automatically generated TOC, you can insert it using the Table of Contents command on the References tab:

I usually choose the Custom Table of Contents option, but you can use one of the defaults if it works for you. There are all kinds of options that you can set, and you'll need to read the online help to find out how each of them affects the format of the TOC.

For example, you can leave the default of "Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers" set, which might mean you don't have to do any of that bookmark and hyperlink stuff I mentioned above.

Posts 1242
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 4:10 PM

Awesome Rosie! Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS