Arabic Smith Van Dyke Font

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 7
Andrew Vines | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 22 2013 4:25 AM

Hi all,

I have Logos 5 (Mac) and I'm wondering if there's any way to change the font on the Arabic Bible (Smith Van Dyke).

The resource notes say: "Please note that this resource currently requires the Arial Unicode MS font. While not publicly downloadable, Arial Unicode MS has the greatest depth of Arabic Unicode coverage amongst fonts with Arabic Unicode support that Logos users are likely to own." The only problem is that the Arabic lettering in this font look... childish!

However, if I disable Arial Unicode MS at a system level (using Font Book.app) it displays in Geeza Pro (the default system Arabic font) which looks much nicer.

Furthermore, on iOS it also looks like it comes up in Geeza Pro, and on biblia.com it displays in Times New Roman (which also looks nice in Arabic).

So, there's seems to be no issue with the module working fine in Geeza Pro, or even Times New Roman, its just that I would like to be able to select a font for this one resource without losing the use of Arial Unicode MS in all my other applications. L5 preferences allow selection of default fonts for Greek, Hebrew and Syriac but alas not Arabic.

Any suggestions?

Posts 3
David Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2015 8:16 PM

I know this post was written a couple of years ago but has there been any changes? Are we able to set the Arabic font to a standard Mac font like Al Bayan or any of the other system fonts? 

Andrew was right, the Unicode font was very childish and even the new font is still pretty awful compared to the Quranic material that I have (also in Arabic)...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

PS- Is there anyway to change the leading and spacing as well? It's also pretty poor... 

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 11:05 AM

I really would like to set the Arabic font according to my taste

I have PC and "set Arabic font" won't work

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2278
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2015 2:38 AM

If you post that request to Logos User Voice, it's much more likely to get some attention than three posts in two and a half years.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 7978
LogosEmployee

The forums are the best place for bug reports (not UserVoice).

Sounds like a book bug; I've created a case.

Posts 3
David Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 12 2015 8:28 PM

Thanks to all of you for chipping in on this one- I wasn't sure if I'd get any replies! 

It is really frustrating though... the default font on the desktop (in this case Mac version) is awful and like I said I can't change it. The  strange this though is the font on my mobile devices for the same Arabic text is beautiful.. so I'm just wondering how hard it would be for the Logos guys to make a few tweaks... but I know we're not many users so this might be at the bottom of the list! 

Thanks Bradley for passing this on... 

Dave

Posts 7
Andrew Vines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 6:45 PM

Just a note to say that this issue appears to be fixed.

I'm not quite sure when (or how) this was fixed, because the resource notes still refer to "Arial Unicode MS."

But thanks for fixing it!

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 11:24 PM

I tried the command "set Arabic font" and it does not work in PC (Windows 8).

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS