Page 5 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 153 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 4:36 PM

Kevin Maples:

Don Awalt:
Dale, will our credits for successfully completing a course be captured reliably somewhere, like on Logos servers, so if one day a seminary comes out with a degree program requiring completion of courses A through Z, and I completed A through F a year earlier, that could be counted if they chose to (I realize they may not wish to grant credit but I was more wondering is my transcript kept somewhere in case)? Or will they have no way of knowing that I already completed the course(s)?
The only problem I see with that happening is that the professor filming the video will not be available for interaction and I am assuming there will not be any graded assignments. Therefore, I doubt any institution will grant you credit unless the courses are embedded into their course with a professor giving additional oversight to your work. Of course I don't know anything about the courses that hasn't been posted on this forum and online learning opportunities are constantly changing, I just don't want you to count on something that seems unlikely to happen. 

Most assignments could be quizzes and exams that are either multiple choice, true/false, etc. Stuff that could be easily graded electronically without professor interaction. 

If this really took off, seminaries who'd use it could bring in graders or have some way to submit assignments to the professor or some form of real person grader who could grade and return assignments based on the professor's syllabus and assessment guidelines.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 4:37 PM

David J. Wilson:

Nothing really preventing the professor filming the video subsequently interacting with students via a forum or on-line chat (except time committment and availability... ).

Professors could utilize FaithLife for this. Be able to at-a-glance see interaction on FaithLife groups and when/if they feel they need to chime in about something on their time schedule, they could.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 8:31 PM

David J. Wilson:
Nothing really preventing the professor filming the video subsequently interacting with students via a forum or on-line chat (except time committment and availability... ).
I understand that it is very possible, but from what I am reading on the forum, I don't know that professor interaction is the model. It looks like videos will be recorded and then we will access them like books. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 8:34 PM

Dale, can you give us a ballpark idea of the range in price for these classes? 

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 8:45 PM

Nathan Parker:

David J. Wilson:

Professors could utilize FaithLife for this. Be able to at-a-glance see interaction on FaithLife groups and when/if they feel they need to chime in about something on their time schedule, they could.

Maybe submit a note file for written assignments.

Posts 25
LogosEmployee
Dale Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 9:42 PM

Kevin Maples:

Kevin Maples:

We are still working on the pricing because we are still working on the cost analysis. Our goal is to offer a superior learning experience and ongoing tools for ministry at at price that encourages you as a student and sustains us as a provider. At the same time we know this will not be affordable to everybody just as Logos is not affordable to everybody. It will be much more affordable than moving to another city, getting a new job and going to school, but is not going to be like purchasing a book. You can do that now for a lot less. When we sit in planning meetings we remind ourselves of our stated goal of keeping these courses in the target range of one quarter to one third of normal tuition costs for an equivalent course of study. This also gives an institution room to make use of these materials in their own DE programs. Having said that, we don't know what schools are going to do. We do know we will be offering a great education opportunity directly to Logos users. Over the course of the summer we will give you a lot more information.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 3:59 AM

As Nathan suggested on a particular reply, I too think tying this into Faithlife would be great. I really like the potential of Faithlife, but it doesn't seem to have gotten traction yet. The more ways Faiithlife is tied in to Logos (optionally of course) lends itself to more chance that the community will build.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:02 AM

Nathan Parker:
In "certain" assignments, you could run into a professor who may "count off" a few points if you vary from his "bent" in assignments. Not enough to flunk the course, but simply because he's not going to view your assignment as "correct" when in reality, you may just be differing with him on it. Good example of this was at LRU, I took a Bible Study Methods course. The professor's views on interpretation and application were vastly different from mine. Where he believed I would "allegorize" the text, I believed it was merely "modern day application" (I felt he had serious issues with discerning between interpretation and application, he of course differed). Well, I was counted off a few points on an assignment because he felt I was "allegorizing" the text when I believe I was simply "applying" the text. I still passed the course and still made a good grade on the assignment, but I still got counted off a few points over it.

From my experience, this is really no different than taking a literature, history, english, or almost any arts course; to the extent the professor believes you have done a good job in critical thinking and expressing yourself, they grade you well. Every professor has different standards, we learn how to get along with them in the class or worst case drop it.

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:17 AM

Don Awalt:

Nathan Parker:
In "certain" assignments, you could run into a professor who may "count off" a few points if you vary from his "bent" in assignments. Not enough to flunk the course, but simply because he's not going to view your assignment as "correct" when in reality, you may just be differing with him on it. Good example of this was at LRU, I took a Bible Study Methods course. The professor's views on interpretation and application were vastly different from mine. Where he believed I would "allegorize" the text, I believed it was merely "modern day application" (I felt he had serious issues with discerning between interpretation and application, he of course differed). Well, I was counted off a few points on an assignment because he felt I was "allegorizing" the text when I believe I was simply "applying" the text. I still passed the course and still made a good grade on the assignment, but I still got counted off a few points over it.

From my experience, this is really no different than taking a literature, history, english, or almost any arts course; to the extent the professor believes you have done a good job in critical thinking and expressing yourself, they grade you well. Every professor has different standards, we learn how to get along with them in the class or worst case drop it.

When I mark students essays, I'm glad when they disagree with me (and I think most seminary professors would say the same). It's boring marking essays where students just trot out what they hear in class.

However, remember that it's highly likely that I know almost all of the arguments against my own view pretty well, and have already rejected them. So if a student is going to take a view that's different from my own, they need have some pretty good arguments for doing so. If they do that successfully, they're going to get a very high mark, if they don't do that well, they're going to get slightly worse marks than they would have got if they took the same position as myself. If you say that the guy who teaches you is wrong, and all you've got to show for it are some insubstantial or half-baked arguments, he's right to feel a little aggrieved that you haven't been paying enough attention to the more substantial arguments that he's given in class.

In short, only disagree with your lecturer if you're confident you can demonstrate to him that your arguments for your view are at least as good as his arguments for his view.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:42 AM

Dale Pritchett:
our stated goal of keeping these courses in the target range of one quarter to one third of normal tuition costs for an equivalent course of study.
Thanks Dale, I think that gives us some idea for now. 

Dale Pritchett:
Logos is not affordable to everybody.
After using Logos for about 2 years now, I believe it is very cheap when you consider what you are getting for your money.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:51 AM

Would it be to soon to ask for a rough listing of courses? I'm quite interested, especially in Biblical counseling (as a practicing counselor I always want to grow) and teacher, but I know there are many philosophies of counseling that I would not agree with at all. Just curious to see if this is something I can get excited about.

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 3:58 PM

Kevin Maples:
After using Logos for about 2 years now, I believe it is very cheap when you consider what you are getting for your money.

Yes Been using Logos a bit longer, and I agree with your assessment Yes

Posts 25
LogosEmployee
Dale Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 10:51 PM

Alexander:

Would it be to soon to ask for a rough listing of courses? I'm quite interested, especially in Biblical counseling (as a practicing counselor I always want to grow) and teacher, but I know there are many philosophies of counseling that I would not agree with at all. Just curious to see if this is something I can get excited about.

We are preparing a list of courses that represent three categories, 1, under development now, 2. scheduled for production and 3. targets for development. We hope to publish the full list during the summer. I can tell you that among the first courses will be a brand new Logos Academic training course by Morris Proctor, Intro courses to Old Testament, New Testament, four courses in Systematic Theology, brand new Learn to use Greek and Hebrew courses, Hermeneutics, and a variety of OT and NT electives.

Posts 7
Jennifer A. Broussard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 1:32 AM

Dare we ask the general price range?

Posts 22657
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 2 2013 1:45 AM

Jennifer A. Broussard:
Dare we ask the general price range?

The best indication on pricing so far is in Dale's post above - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/70628/493853.aspx#493853

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 11:17 AM

Kevin Maples:

David Ames:

We do NOT want to have to try to GUESS the ""BENT"" we want it in cold clear black and white LARGE PRINT BOLD (and maybe underlined).  

And will there be classes for all ""BENT""s?

i agree, but the professor and his place of teaching will tell you volumes about the "bent"

Logos users come from all over the world, and all different denominations. The professor's name and place of teaching may tell them absolutely zero. 

Dale Pritchett:
Core curriculum is covered with Platinum.

In that case I take it that 

Dale Pritchett:
Our goal is to offer multiple courses from various theological perspectives.

does, in fact, mean "various Evangelical perspectives".

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 11:20 AM

fgh:

Kevin Maples:

David Ames:

We do NOT want to have to try to GUESS the ""BENT"" we want it in cold clear black and white LARGE PRINT BOLD (and maybe underlined).  

And will there be classes for all ""BENT""s?

i agree, but the professor and his place of teaching will tell you volumes about the "bent"

Logos users come from all over the world, and all different denominations. The professor's name and place of teaching may tell them absolutely zero. 

Dale Pritchett:
Core curriculum is covered with Platinum.

In that case I take it that 

Dale Pritchett:
Our goal is to offer multiple courses from various theological perspectives.

does, in fact, mean "various Evangelical perspectives".

I would take it to mean any Protestant point of view. You could very well be including many reformed points of view as well.

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 12:47 PM

C'est la vie, and it is what it is. I don't expect them to offer anyone having my perspective because there isn't any...yet. I suspect that as time passes, Logos will open up the options to a broader variety of instructors--but folks really need to keep two things in mind.

First, they haven't even started this thing yet (maybe you should let something actually happen before complaining about it?)...and second, whatever comes first (and something WILL have to be first), it isn't going to be the last or only. Give the whole thing some time. Logos has well demonstrated their willingness to include anything in their stable that will support itself financially.

While this all sounds interesting, I'm rather doubtful I will end up participating, but I do hope that it adds overall utility to the Logos universe's "skill set".

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:02 PM

David Paul:
First, they haven't even started this thing yet (maybe you should let something actually happen before complaining about it?)...and second, whatever comes first (and something WILL have to be first), it isn't going to be the last or only. Give the whole thing some time. Logos has well demonstrated their willingness to include anything in their stable that will support itself financially.

Very good observations, David Yes

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:43 PM

Did you all see the twitter post about LME?

2h

Dr. John Walton is here today filming a lecture on Gen 1–3 for . Awesome things coming, so stay tuned.

Page 5 of 8 (154 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS