Non-dispensational theology

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 25 2013 9:18 AM

Does anyone know of a good non-dispensationalism systematic theology resource? Maybe commentaries also?

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:22 AM

Kent:

Does anyone know of a good non-dispensationalism systematic theology resource? Maybe commentaries also?

There are dozens available in Logos. The best (in my opinion) is Wayne Grudem's, but Calvin's Institutes, and Berkhof's Systematic Theology are also worth having.

As for commentaries, most of the commentaries in Logos are non-dispensational. You'll probably need to be a bit more specific about what you want to get some good recommendations, but for value for money it's hard to beat Tyndale or BST — they are the rare combination of both excellent and cheap.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:36 AM

Smile  Welcome to the forums, Kent.  Lot's of people here willing to help you.  Have fun!

Posts 27109
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 9:49 AM

Welcome Kent! Smile

Mark Barnes:
they are the rare combination of both excellent and cheap.

Big Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 70
Christopher Engelsma | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 10:35 AM

Dogmatic Theology by W.G.T. Shedd is excellent.

Charles Hodge is a classic.  IMO the best one-volume systematic theology is A. A. Hodge's Outlines of Theology: http://www.logos.com/product/6251/outlines-of-theology

If you can afford it, the entire Princeton collection is pure gold: http://www.logos.com/product/17903/princeton-theology-collection

Posts 995
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 10:51 AM

I Like Robert Reymond's systematic theology

http://www.logos.com/product/2403/a-new-systematic-theology-of-the-christian-faith

I know that some his Trinitarian observations raise the eyebrows but if you read it critically (as of course you should with all theologies) it is a really clear and useful presentation that (with the exception noted above) is entirely orthodox. 

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 11:35 AM

Christopher- I was under the impression (having no real first hand knowledge) that Hodge was a dispensationalist.

Posts 13116
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 11:42 AM

Kent:
Christopher- I was under the impression (having no real first hand knowledge) that Hodge was a dispensationalist.

Dispensationalism had barely been invented when Hodge wrote his Systematic Theology. Hodge was post-millennial.

Posts 70
Christopher Engelsma | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 11:43 AM

Charles Hodge is certainly not dispensational.  Noone in the Princeton tradition would be dispensational.  

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 12:24 PM

Kent:

Kent you may be confused with Zane Hodge. One Hodge is good, the other dodge.

Posts 222
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 1:53 PM

Evan Boardman:

Kent:

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Rev. Ben Hein

Shady Grove Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Reformed Theological Seminary, M.Div (2017)

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 4:59 PM

Evan Boardman:

No, I think Charles is good too!

Posts 2816
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 8:34 PM

Thomas Oden's three volume "Systematic Theology" is excellent, and not Dispensational.  He is an evangelical Wesleyan theologian, and he would give you a different perspective to balance the several excellent Calvinist systematic theologies available.  I highly recommend Oden. 

Earlier in Thomas Oden's life he was very liberal, but underwent sort of an evangelical conversion of his theology.  I was talking with a liberal professor who had taught on faculty with Tom Oden in Oden's more liberal days.  He said, "I just don't understand Thomas Oden.  When he changed sides theologically, he totally changed sides."   Being in the evangelical camp myself, I laughed and suggested that it probably was when he edited the John Wesley sermons in the new Bicentennial edition of Wesley's Works.  I told my liberal friend, "That is what happens if you spend too much time with John Wesley!"  (In fact, Oden had made his "shift" much earlier.  I was just teasing my liberal Methodist friend.)

Thomas Oden's scholarship is top notch.  His theology is solidly biblical.  He edited the Ancient Christian Commentary on the Scripture, and is a well known Church Fathers scholar.  He is probably the foremost evangelical Wesleyan scholar, though John Oswalt, and Bill Arnold might give him a run for his money on that.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1922
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 4:57 AM

I recently bought George Ladd's A Theology of the New Testament

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 5:34 AM

Joseph Turner:
I recently bought George Ladd's A Theology of the New Testament
 That is a great book, but it is biblical theology not systematic theology, which is a whole different field of study. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 5:35 AM

Michael Childs:
Earlier in Thomas Oden's life he was very liberal, but underwent sort of an evangelical conversion of his theology. 
Thanks so much for the history lesson. I didn't know about Oden's shift. That really helps to put his work in perspective. Thanks. 

Posts 2448
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 6:14 AM

In another thread where someone proposed the tagging of theological category based on author, it was rightly pointed out that one particular author's views could have morphed with time. I've personally been tagged with labels by folks from two ends of a theological spectrum.

In this case, much as I am a non-dispensationalist, I think that dispensationalism does have a few good points to make. I wish the OP Godspeed in his theological journeys.

Posts 562
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 6:30 AM

Logos has available Dr. Robert Culver's systematic theology. I know the author, and I highly recommend that volume. If you read the endorsements, they are impressive.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 6:33 AM

Randall Cue:
Logos has available Dr. Robert Culver's systematic theology.
Here is the link: http://www.logos.com/product/4171/systematic-theology-biblical-and-historical 

Posts 3075
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2013 6:35 AM

http://www.logos.com/product/4171/systematic-theology-biblical-and-historical 

by Robert Culver in Part 7, chp. 14 has a good write up on the varying views and has quoted the adherents very well.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS