16th-17th Century Suggestions

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:41 PM

I checked the "Works of..." titles that had been recently reprinted by Reformed presses to see how many 16th and 17th Century sets you already had. I was impressed. You've already got David Clarkson, George Swinnock, Henry Bullinger, Henry Scougal, John Bradford, John Bunyan, John Calvin, John Dick, John Flavel, John Gill, John Howe, John Knox, John Lightfoot, John Newton, John Owen, Martin Luther, Philip Doddridge, Richard Baxter, Richard Sibbes, Samuel Rutherford, Stephen Charnock, Thomas Boston, Thomas Brooks, Thomas Goodwin, and Thomas Manton.

But you're missing some others, including Ebenezer ErskineEdward Payson, Edward ReynoldsHenry Smith, James DurhamJames HamiltonJeremiah BurroughsJohn RobinsonJohn TrappJohn Witherspoon, Ralph Erskine, Robert BaillieRobert Harris, Robert TrailThomas Peck, William Bates, William Bridge, William Perkins, and William Tyndale. Most (but not all) of those have already been brought together as collected works at some point.

You should also try and get the 54 volumes published by The Parker Society in the nineteenth century, and the more recent Courtenay Library of Reformation Classics.

Posts 89
Brian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 7:42 AM

Excellent choices Mark! I would second everyone of those recommendations and add a HUGE request for the Works of Thomas Hooker. Please continue to add some more of the great puritan works Logos!

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 3:22 PM

Yes! The Courtenay Library stuff looks great!

Posts 920
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 15 2013 3:31 PM

William Perkins would be exceptionally welcome, his work is incredibly important and depressingly hard to get hold of.   

Logos does however already have Robert Trail http://www.logos.com/product/6354/the-works-of-robert-traill in its offerings.

Posts 12348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 16 2013 12:53 AM

Mike Pettit:
Logos does however already have Robert Trail http://www.logos.com/product/6354/the-works-of-robert-traill in its offerings.

Thank you. It's that double 'L' that confused me!

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 16 2013 1:00 AM

I'd like to see the writings of Thomas Watson added. Indeed, I'd like to see all the Banner of Truth Puritan publications included!

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 2290
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:36 AM

Alan Macgregor:

Indeed, I'd like to see all the Banner of Truth Puritan publications included!

Yes Yes Yes I've said this before and I'll say it again. Let's have BoT!

Posts 566
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 6:18 AM

There's been some progress on this list in the past 3.5 years - the works of Ebenezer Erskine, Burroughs, Witherspoon, Tyndale and Bates are now available.

There are a couple of commentaries available by Edward Reynolds, but not his complete works.

Some are in community pricing or pre-pub and need a bit of help - Robert Baillie, James Durham, Ralph Erskine, William Perkins, John Trapp

That leaves: Robert Harris, Henry Smith, John Robinson, William Bridge, Thomas Peck and the works of Reynolds. 
(I haven't included Payson or Hamilton, who are listed above, as they are later than 16th/17th century)

I'd particularly like to see the works of Thomas Peck, whose 3 volume works were republished by Banner of Truth in 1999. Peck's classic work on ecclesiology is still regularly quoted today (eg see Guy Waters How Jesus Runs the Church and this Gospel Coalition article by Mark Jones).

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 8:35 AM

Mark Barnes:

You should also try and get the 54 volumes published by The Parker Society in the nineteenth century, and the more recent Courtenay Library of Reformation Classics.

i just looked these up again. It looks like they're really hard to find (and the one hyperlinked is over 100 years old). I always thought it would be a dream come true if a publisher would release the works of these authors in a multivolume series but ordered from most important/ easiest to read individual work, to least important/ hardest to read work - so that a beginner could start at volume 1 and work through to the end. Even better would be if they were released in beautiful cloth-bound volumes with elegantly designed typeset and maybe even red section headings and drop-caps. They could even throw a few of the most essential works of the church fathers too. I'd devour these if they existed!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS