Big Project... Compendium of Logos Packages from its Inception to present... Could use another set of eyes to look over the work already done.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 11:52 AM

Realizing that this is an old thread, I am surprised to see http://wiki.logos.com/Contents_of_Discontinued_Base_Packages  doesn't include the Catholic collection as displayed at http://web.archive.org/web/19970202092412/http://www.logos.com/products/20prices.htm

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 11:56 AM

Dan Francis:

Realizing that this is an old thread, I am surprised to see http://wiki.logos.com/Contents_of_Discontinued_Base_Packages  doesn't include the Catholic collection as displayed at http://web.archive.org/web/19970202092412/http://www.logos.com/products/20prices.htm

I never knew there had been a Catholic collection before. Anyone can edit that wiki page. Wanna do it? I no longer have as much time for Logos forum and wiki activities as I used to.

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 11:58 AM

Sorry blonde moment.... I see in the database list it is on the todo and the page I referenced is labeled as out of date, please refers to the spreadsheet.

-Dan

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 11:24 AM

Timothy Brown:

Thanks for all your work on a comparison guide. In the Reformed Base Package tab, at line 150, you need another heading "Devotional and Spiritual Formation." Also, Taste and See, Alone with God, and Morning and Evening are in all the Reformed Base Packages.

Thanks for catching that. I've made the corrections.

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 12:46 PM

Randy W. Sims:

Timothy Brown:

Thanks for all your work on a comparison guide. In the Reformed Base Package tab, at line 150, you need another heading "Devotional and Spiritual Formation." Also, Taste and See, Alone with God, and Morning and Evening are in all the Reformed Base Packages.

Thanks for catching that. I've made the corrections.

Yes thank you! I used software to import all the items, and then double checked it... But - mistakes still sometimes slip through. Thanks for catching it!

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:19 PM

Anglican packages now have their own page and the data is up (except on the Omnibus page).

SDA and Lutheran, I probably won't get to you until after the weekend.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:32 PM

I appreciate all the work and effort.  I absolutely love the progress and have obtained the Reformed and looking at some future date obtaining Anglican.  When I purchased the Reformed, I spoke with Chris about my interest and he definitely knew my interest by my wish lists.  Any idea when a Pentecostal/Charismatic type of library base will be released or planned?

Rog

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:34 PM

Your guess is as good as mine unfortunately. None of the people who worked on this project are associated with Logos in any way other than as customers :).

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 4:43 PM

This project has long outgrown the spreadsheet format. I'm wondering about converting it to a DB. Does anyone know of any easy free/cheap db hosting options? A relational db with 5-6 tables and some kind of web based front end designer or something simple. I've never done any web based development so I'm not sure what the best tools are and I don't want to invest a lot of time so I'm looking for something maximally simple. It would need interface for entering bulk data like a spreadsheet with combos and checks for the joined tables and a report for picking N arbitrary packages and displaying them side by side grouped by or filterable by category. I haven't completely made up my mind on doing this, but I'd like to explore the options. Any recommendations on how best to approach it?

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 4:57 PM

Even though it's grown huge, I'd still keep it as a spreadsheet. If it becomes a DB, it will be harder to get volunteers to keep updating it. In case you aren't able to carry on with this project indefinitely, I think it's best to leave it as a Google Doc where a team of volunteers can continue the work. What do you think?

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:27 PM

I completely agree. I wouldn't do anything that would prevent people from contributing or that would make it more difficult to contribute. And I want the Logos community to own it*. It wouldn't be half of what it is now without the contribution of others, esp Ken. I guess what I'm wanting is something just like google docs but with support for simple dbs and forms.

* It would probably be a good idea to create a Logos Community Google account and move the current spreadsheet there. Then share the login info with a number of regulars here.

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:38 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhAl790TopkhdHNsTnRLY1A2RU9OY3pDNHdqTHVpQ3c&usp=sharing

Baptist BP has a page now, as does the P & C bp data.

Then to update the omnibus.

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:57 PM

Good work Yes

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 27979
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:12 PM

Randy W. Sims:
It would probably be a good idea to create a Logos Community Google account and move the current spreadsheet there.

I would much rather it be on Faithlife ... I get annoyed at people expecting me to have or open accounts on a plethora of sharing sites.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 5:27 PM

MJ. Smith:

Randy W. Sims:
It would probably be a good idea to create a Logos Community Google account and move the current spreadsheet there.

I would much rather it be on Faithlife ... I get annoyed at people expecting me to have or open accounts on a plethora of sharing sites.

I would love to be able to host it on Faithlife, but it doesn't have a document type that would work for what we need and sharing the document itself for download wouldn't allow for easy collaboration. Microsoft OneDrive w/ Excel and Google Docs are the only two reasonable services I know of, and Google Docs is free. I'm very open to alternatives suggestions though as long as it's free and supports collaboration; I want it to belong to the community.

Hopefully, Logos will have their comparison engine updated soon to support comparisons across denominational package lines and then this project will become largely irrelevant except for recording older packages.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:42 PM

I think prior to 1.6, Logos just sold individual resources on floppy disks. I know this was how I got started. Unfortunately I pitched all those 3.5 floppies years ago!

Perhaps some has keep these or remember what bibles were offered.

I ran Logos on a 286, with only a 20 MB hard drive, a gray scale monitor and Windows 2.0!

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:55 PM

Randy - I'm noticing some glitches that I didn't notice the last time I used google docs?

When I make changes to the omnibus page. Specifically copy and pasting new resources, it gives me an error saying to wait a few minutes and refresh the page.

Is the omnibus just getting to be too big to be useful? or is there something else going on?

Posts 520
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:59 PM

Keith Larson:
I ran Logos on a 286, with only a 20 MB hard drive, a gray scale monitor and Windows 2.0!
This reminds me of the first computer my dad bought. He got it used and it came with these .zip files on them. Took him weeks to figure out how to open them!

Our next one was  a Tandy 386 with a 120mb hard drive. Still got that one.

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 7:13 PM

We really shouldn't be stretching it. It's not that big and only a few simple formulae. Let's kill those formulae and see how much that improves things.

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:23 PM

still happening. but infrequently.

We are using 85,000 cells on the omnibus. its by far the biggest spreadsheet I've ever worked on. According to google, the max number of cells is 400k, and the max number of characters is 1.02 million. The max number of colums is 256 (currently at 71).

Looks like there is a new version that is less buggy and no real maximum size (2 million cells). but you'll need to do the upgrade. I was able to upgrade it. Made you the owner once more. But you will need to give the other helpers edit privileges again.

Here is the updated link.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS