Use of alternate title in command box

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 8 2013 4:13 AM

It does not seem that you can use the Alternate Title for a Personal Book to bring up the book in the command box, like you can with the primary title. I am not sure of the purpose of the alternate title then other than generic searches, as it doe not show up in the About Box (i) for the PB either. Should it?

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 8 2013 4:35 AM

Perhaps you are conflating the Alternate Title with the Abbreviated Title. You can use the Abbreviated title to bring up PBs. The Alternate Title is a field that Logos sometimes sets for books it publishes, but we can't use it to open a book in the command box, even for Logos editions. Nor can we edit it (except for PBs, but what's the point since we can't use it for anything). It doesn't show up in the Info box for any books, PBs or otherwise.

The Abbreviated Title, however, is something which we can edit in any book's Info box in the Library. It's also called "Short title" and it can be used as an alternative for opening the book. It works for PBs as well as Logos editions and Vyrso ebooks.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 8 2013 6:20 AM

OK, thanks. I wonder what the purpose is for the alternate title.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:35 AM

Rosie Perera:
The Alternate Title is a field that Logos sometimes sets for books it publishes, but we can't use it to open a book in the command box, even for Logos editions.

We can use it in the Library find box, so it seems to me we ought to be able to use it in the Command box. I'll start a bug thread in the Beta forum. (EDIT: BUG 5.1: Using Alternate Title in the Command box)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS