Tutorial - Keeping track of reading list

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:49 AM

Ken,

If you do what I'm about to suggest BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST.

Ok, was that emphatic enough?

Click START, type regedit into find and then open that program.

Navigate down the list of registry entries to libronixdls, Follow the folders down to Shell>Open>Command. it should look like this

Does yours look like mine, or does the command direct to version 3's exe? If it does, put the location of your Logos4.exe into the registry here.

"C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Logos4.exe" "%1"

"(of course, if you're not on Windows 7 your location for Logos4.exe might be different, check first, also replace <UserName> with your actual user name)

Finally, restart and see if the links work. If this doesn't fix it, well restore your old registry and look for more help elsewhere, I've gone above my pay grade with this. Smile Also, let me know if this works.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 7:04 AM

Kevin Becker:
Did you use the scipts to install your L4 books in Libronix?

Not that I know of, since this doesn't ring any bells.  However, I'm in the midst of a miserable head cold and I'm having a hard time concentrating -- I think I'll wait a few days before trying your registry tweak, when I'm firing on more cylinders.  As I recall, on this machine I installed L4 first then L3 later, if that makes any difference.  Thanks for the help.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 7:08 AM

Ken F Hill:
on this machine I installed L4 first then L3 later

That's your culprit, Libronix modified this registry key after Logos 4 created it. If this works for you, I'll probably put these instructions in the wiki.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:27 AM

Kevin Becker:
I've gone above my pay grade with this

Thanks.  Looks like you are due for a pay raise.  It worked.  I had a fortifying bowl of chicken noodle soup for breakfast and worked up the courage to try your registry tweak.  The only thing I did differently from your instructions was to create a system restore point first.  And I used Find to get to the libronixdls section.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 9:47 AM

Ken F Hill:

Thanks.  Looks like you are due for a pay raise.  It worked.  I had a fortifying bowl of chicken noodle soup for breakfast and worked up the courage to try your registry tweak.  The only thing I did differently from your instructions was to create a system restore point first.  And I used Find to get to the libronixdls section.

Excellent!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:16 AM

A very helpful tip! thanks for sharing. The only problem I can think of is if, after reading it a bit and stopping, you for some reason open the book to another location, e.g. it is returned in a search result and you go to that resource. you will now loss the place you stopped reading. In that scenario you could find it again by using the gray wear bars.

You could also mark that book as a bookmark "CTRL+SHIFT+1-9" and then to go to that book click "CTRL+1" The problem with that method is you have to remember to "CTRL+SHIFT+1-9" again once you are done reading for the day.

I think for most people though your method would be preferred. I never new about removing the position indicator in the link. Thanks!

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:37 PM

Philip Spitzer:
I never new about removing the position indicator in the link.

I think that was the only thing of the entire process I figured out myself. Everything else was from things I learned on the forum here. You guys are really helpful.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:20 PM

Yes  Thanks for the great tip!

Logos, making this a little easier would be a nice future feature!

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:43 PM

Gary O'Neal:

This is a tutorial I created on how to keep track of the resources you are reading in Logos4. The Reading Plan on the Ribbon Bar is great for daily readings, but most of my reading isn't something I would want to create a plan for. I use a note file and create links to the resources I am currently reading.

Something I haven't seen posted yet is using tags to track books being read.  I tag the books I'm reading (or want to read) with the work "toread" - no spaces. Then when I want to see my reading list, I just type "toread" in the library window. Since it's not a real word, I don't get hits from the book metadata.  Clicking on a book there brings up the last place that book was at, just like your links do.  When I'm done, just delete the tag from the book.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:05 PM

Todd Phillips:
Something I haven't seen posted yet is using tags to track books being read. 

That's similar to another method I posted about using collections - http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7464.aspx. The notes method is more difficult to set up, but I like it better. I've not tried using your method from the library - hadn't thought of that.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS