Is Logos 5 FASTER than Logos 4???

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5
Dave Kessler | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 11 2013 2:24 PM

I am hesitant to upgrade to Logos 5 because frankly, when I upgraded to 4 over 3, I found that Logos 4 was horrendously SLOWER. Granted, I understand, bigger software = more time, however, I have a computer that is a decent Intel Dual Core, 8gb RAM, Solid State Hard Drive - it goes from cold off to ready to use in about 9 seconds. My Outlook (with its 10gb active database) opens and is fully functional in about 2 seconds.

So I am shocked at how SLOW Logos 4 is for me on the same machine. It is the only software that I have that is like this. Everything else is lightning.

Perhaps Logos 4 was not designed for multi-thread/multi-core support???

Posts 700
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 2:57 PM

In my experience, Logos 5 is noticeably faster. I have a pretty modest machine.

You can update the engine only for free, and then decide if it is for you.

I think you will be happy with the results.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 5
Dave Kessler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:07 PM

How do I upgrade the engine for free? I cant seem to find that anywhere

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:08 PM

Dave Kessler:

How do I upgrade the engine for free? I cant seem to find that anywhere

http://www.logos.com/installation

You'll find that link on the Support page.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1442
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:11 PM

Dave Kessler:

I am hesitant to upgrade to Logos 5 because frankly, when I upgraded to 4 over 3, I found that Logos 4 was horrendously SLOWER. Granted, I understand, bigger software = more time, however, I have a computer that is a decent Intel Dual Core, 8gb RAM, Solid State Hard Drive - it goes from cold off to ready to use in about 9 seconds. My Outlook (with its 10gb active database) opens and is fully functional in about 2 seconds.

So I am shocked at how SLOW Logos 4 is for me on the same machine. It is the only software that I have that is like this. Everything else is lightning.

Logos is similar to windows path:

Logos 3 = Windows Xp - fast but is already old and misses some features, and there is no support anymore

Logos 4 = Windows vista - slow but has more features and still is under support

Logos 5 = Windows 7 - much faster, has more features, more polished, and under support

hope Logos 6 will not be similar to Windows 8 Zip it!

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 5
Dave Kessler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:13 PM

Appreciated! I will give that a try.

Posts 5
Dave Kessler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:14 PM

Wild Eagle:

hope Logos 6 will not be similar to Windows 8 Zip it!

No kidding!

Posts 371
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 5:13 PM

Windows 8 is pretty fast by comparison.  I downloaded Classic Shell to make it more palatable. Smile

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 5
Dave Kessler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 5:25 PM

Jerry Bush:

You can update the engine only for free, and then decide if it is for you.

I think you will be happy with the results.

Jerry

Yup, its faster!

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 6:44 PM

Dave Kessler:

when I upgraded to 4 over 3, I found that Logos 4 was horrendously SLOWER

My Outlook (with its 10gb active database) opens and is fully functional in about 2 seconds.

Logos 3, and probably Outlook, are native Windows applications, but Logos 4 and later use .NET, which runs within a virtual machine. The advantage of .NET is that the same code can run on both Mac and Windows; but the cost is that it is slower on both, because the virtual machine needs to essentially translate the app as it runs.

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 7:11 PM

Jerry Bush:

In contrast, I guess I have an immodest machine :>, with only 2GB of RAM.  Logos 5 seemed slower when I updated from Logos 4. I've discovered that L5 and L6 want twice the RAM of L4, which I'm presuming is the reason.

The specs (with L4 and L5 minimums from Archive.org, because I think they've been removed from Logos.com ):

So I've actually reverted to Logos 4.  Has anyone else had this experience?

-Pete

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 8:19 AM

Six has been faster for me, but then I've got a decently fast computer. The new x64 coding allows it to use more of my memory, which is nice. Especially when indexing. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS