New Interpreter's Bible

Page 3 of 6 (115 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 114 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:16 PM

Dan Francis:

mike:
does that work on Logos/Libronix? (came with a cd key? )

That is the full hard bound set. Not electronic, the abingdon electronic version is just a version with a key that ties into Explorer. 

New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible CD-ROM and as you see it's $240 IT IS NOT LOGOS compatible. -Dan

that's weird..

then how come this one http://www.amazon.com/New-Interpreters-Bible-Commentary-Commentaries/dp/0687019990/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389161745&sr=1-3&keywords=New+Interpreter%27s+Dictionary+of+the+Bible+CD-ROM

is working with Logos? isn't this also the bigger volume of the 5 volumes?

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:24 PM

mike:
does that work on Logos/Libronix? (came with a cd key? )

It is not a LOGOS product - the CD is produced by Abingdon - the publisher of the NIDB.  

There are two links being posted - mine is to an Amazon page of CD-ROM versions designed to be read with IE.  Sogol has published a link to Cokesbury sale site of the published hardback books.  Both are good prices.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:28 PM

mike:

I see no indication that this works with LOGOS.  Note - this is the 12 volume commentary, not the 5 volume dictionary.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:31 PM

Floyd Johnson:

mike:

I see no indication that this works with LOGOS.  Note - this is the 12 volume commentary, not the 5 volume dictionary.

yes, that's the 12 vols.

edit: nvm, I thought the reviews were saying about activating it through Libronix, but they were comparing them. lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_cr_dp_srch/185-9857401-6295831?query=libronix&search-alias=community-reviews&idx.asin=0687019990

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2014 3:10 PM

Beloved:

Sogol:

Unfortunately, that was a pretty short sale, and it's now back to full price ($299). It was on sale for $99, plus they gave me another 25% off discount.

The full Logos price for the NIDB looks like it will also be $299, which is why I think the $139 pre-pub price looks like a great deal.

I'm not ashamed to say, though I may offend the Spirit of the Lord, that I am down right jealous. I wish you would hint a little more information. It all sounds too good to be true. A $299.00 resource for $99.00. Yeah right!

Your either a prankster or one of most fortunate men alive. I do not know which, but, I am green, green, green with envy! I thoroughly agree with you that Katherine Doob Sakenfeld's work as editor is very generously priced, but, look at where the bar graph is: it's a joke compared to where the first priority of my efforts have been placed (the commentary). I hope your post lights a fire under the bottoms of our readership those who have chosen to ignore this scholarly treasure.

Please consider sampling examples of the breadth of coverage this gem affords. Give Catholic, Anglican and Evangelical examples. Show how useful the dictionary is. Let people in on what we are seemingly casting aside so foolishly. 

I am really frustrated by this whole matter, but, I remain hopeful that we may just yet see at least the commentary into production this year. Push the dictionary if you would be so kind. I do not fault your good fortune. Cheers.

-Beloved

PS

I have vetted the most likely persons. Companies A, B, O, and WS. Am I hot or cold? None of which seem capable of reconstructing your feat. Hint, hint.

Looks like that $99 deal is back again until January 21.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2014 5:20 PM

Sogol:

Let us be clear from the outset so that some of us don't get confused, you are talking about the dictionary and not the commentary set. I am able to confirm your observation that the NIDB is selling at the price you quote for all those who use the "Other" brand.

Also of interest, the single volume commentary of the NIB is selling for $24.99 on the same platform. Cheers to those who bite! As for me I may be a stubborn old fool, but, I elect to wait for the Logos edition. 

Thanks, Sogol

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2014 6:12 PM

Beloved:
As for me I may be a stubborn old fool, but, I elect to wait for the Logos edition.

Hope you get it, but I do not think that it will be coming to Logos any time soon...

-Dan

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2014 11:12 PM

Beloved:

Sogol:

Let us be clear from the outset so that some of us don't get confused, you are talking about the dictionary and not the commentary set. I am able to confirm your observation that the NIDB is selling at the price you quote for all those who use the "Other" brand.

Also of interest, the single volume commentary of the NIB is selling for $24.99 on the same platform. Cheers to those who bite! As for me I may be a stubborn old fool, but, I elect to wait for the Logos edition. 

Thanks, Sogol

I sincerely hope Logos releases this far earlier than expected, and I come out looking like a fool for buying this twice. But unfortunately, I think the odds favor Dan's outlook at the moment.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:40 AM

There is a real tragedy in this. This small thread with only 48 replies and a viewership well over 3000. A huge number of people are deeply interested in these works, but they are searching in vain. I have emailed several times trying to impart how important this work would be to expanding Logos marketshare, but they all have fallen on deaf ears. I had thought my pleas had been heard when I had been informed of a release date or to be told of a mix up, that it won't be worked on till it goes through regular channels. The trouble is Accordance and Olivetree are releasing these (I have no indication that the 12 volume will ever come to OT), I fail understand how these smaller players can have such faith in them and be releasing them when the "premiere"  Bible software cannot secure it. Because of a lack of vision Logos will likely lose these. OT has such a bare bones simple desktop software as to be almost laughable to compare it to Logos or Accordance, but time and time again they have shown how they can offer prices Logos will never match, and many are willing to say I can live with it for the savings. Accordance in it's own right is a premiere and highly respected Bible software and in my mind offers the true death nail to the Logos hopes. Now I realize there are a significant percentage who use Logos and will never go elsewhere, but there are a sizeable number of users like myself who are Accordance users (or willing to use another software to have access to what some of us see as one of the most important works out there). I hope I am very wrong and in 2 years time these  works are happily being used by Logos users in Logos, but somehow unless things change greatly I still see them languishing in Prepub, never seeing the light of day.

-Dan

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:06 AM

Dan Francis:

There is a real tragedy in this. This small thread with only 48 replies and a viewership well over 3000. A huge number of people are deeply interested in these works, but they are searching in vain. I have emailed several times trying to impart how important this work would be to expanding Logos marketshare, but they all have fallen on deaf ears. I had thought my pleas had been heard when I had been informed of a release date or to be told of a mix up, that it won't be worked on till it goes through regular channels. The trouble is Accordance and Olivetree are releasing these (I have no indication that the 12 volume will ever come to OT), I fail understand how these smaller players can have such faith in them and be releasing them when the "premiere"  Bible software cannot secure it. Because of a lack of vision Logos will likely lose these. OT has such a bare bones simple desktop software as to be almost laughable to compare it to Logos or Accordance, but time and time again they have shown how they can offer prices Logos will never match, and many are willing to say I can live with it for the savings. Accordance in it's own right is a premiere and highly respected Bible software and in my mind offers the true death nail to the Logos hopes. Now I realize there are a significant percentage who use Logos and will never go elsewhere, but there are a sizeable number of users like myself who are Accordance users (or willing to use another software to have access to what some of us see as one of the most important works out there). I hope I am very wrong and in 2 years time these  works are happily being used by Logos users in Logos, but somehow unless things change greatly I still see them languishing in Prepub, never seeing the light of day.

-Dan

I used to be a Logos only guy.  But that is no longer realistic for me.  Now, I am a Logos first, if possible and practical, guy.  But I will diversify my resource format when needed.  I think Logos has made that necessary for me.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 11:23 AM

I'm OK as long as the NIDB eventually makes it to Logos, some day! I will have to limp along meanwhile with the print Edition I got cheap (with overseas postage though which added cost) and the Baker Encyclopedia included in L5 Bronze. Yeah and perhaps sit in uni/seminary libraries.

I'm sure the NIDB will make it - because at some point competitors such as the AYBD will become obsolete (the AYDB is already outdated) and people will start warning that the AYBD should not be used. So the NIDB inevitably has to make it. Can't know how long it will take.

I don't like that Logos is so overly cautious as to not speed up this (could be done by accepting that a share of the profit for covering the costs of the initial production would have to come from sales of the live product thus lowering the cost of production needed to be covered before it goes from gathering interest in pre-pub into production - instead of like now solely from pre-pub commitments; this could be carried out at any time at the will of Logos and perhaps also the publisher would also need to say OK but I think that a while from now the publisher will automatically start thinking like that because there won't seem to be any other way of offering it for sale and Logos will still have a large market share many years from now).

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 11:35 AM

Yes agree.  Will probably be picking up the NIB Dictionary and Commentary set elsewhere sometime this year.  But if it appears here first, will probably buy here.

For anyone considering the NIB, I checked it out at my seminary library.  Was very impressed.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:31 PM

Dan Francis:
OT has such a bare bones simple desktop software as to be almost laughable to compare it to Logos or Accordance, but time and time again they have shown how they can offer prices Logos will never match

Not "but": "thus". Simple software means lower development costs, so of course they can sell cheaper.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 2:31 PM

fgh:

Dan Francis:
OT has such a bare bones simple desktop software as to be almost laughable to compare it to Logos or Accordance, but time and time again they have shown how they can offer prices Logos will never match

Not "but": "thus". Simple software means lower development costs, so of course they can sell cheaper.

OT's  study guide is not a horrible thing, indeed it works quite well. I am not saying Logos books are not more valuable because they are in the Logos environment, just it is not always enough a value that can be justified. An example is the NIDB I think that it is a fine product and I do think that Logos has a fair pre pub price on it, but it frequently offered for an even lower price in OT, and a Bible dictionary is not something that requires great integration to be useful. If Logos lowered their pre pub price to the $99 level, yes they would need many more but they also will get more people interested.

-Dan

Posts 520
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 11:12 AM

The pre-pub price of the 16 volume Oxford History of the Christian Church series has just plummeted from $619 (originally $699) to $399!  Clever Logos!

Now, my dear Logos, please do something similar to the pre-pub price of the New Interpreter's Bible and let's get it into production!! Smile

Oxford History of the Christian Church (16 vols.)
https://www.logos.com/product/33171/oxford-history-of-the-christian-church 

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 10:28 AM

Michael Childs:
I used to be a Logos only guy.  But that is no longer realistic for me.
same here

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 11:52 AM

Maybe if Logos brought the price down to $299.95 it would sky-rocket past the "almost there" line.  I'm sure it'd be easier on a lot of people.  Question: Wasn't the price dropped down to $399.95? I see it's now $479.95.  Moving the price up won't help one bit.  Anyway, I guess some works are just destined to never make it to Logos (e.g. Mattoon's Treasures from the Scriptures). Sad

DAL

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 5:13 PM

I think the fact that the New Interpreter's resources (and other Abingdon resources, more generally) are not yet in Logos is one of the saddest things I've encountered since switching to an all-digital reference library. Accordance may get these resources soon (as it appears they will), and they're adding the Anchor Yale Bible series, yet Logos is still the only place to get the Westminster Bible Companion, Sacra Pagina, etc.

It seems reasonable to conclude that one should have both software packages and mix and match resources, but consolidating into one or the other would be ideal.

Personally, I've given up on ever getting the New Interpreter's resources digitally. I've switched almost exclusively to the Anchor dictionary even though I tend to prefer NIDB. And, as much as I still love the NIB commentary series, it's almost not worth the trouble when Interpretation is available. (Again, another resource that, inexplicably, is available for Logos, but not for Accordance!)

I've switched to Logos and am staying the course. If NIB and NIDB come to Logos, I'll buy them immediately (I've already ordered both on pre-pub and wouldn't cancel the order). If not, so be it. By the time NIB is made available, it'll be almost 20 years old anyway. Perhaps it's time to move on.

Now, if only we could get Old Testament Library/New Testament Library; NETS (!?!?!?!?); Comfort's Text Commentary ...

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 8:22 PM

Adam Rao:

Personally, I've given up on ever getting the New Interpreter's resources digitally. I've switched almost exclusively to the Anchor dictionary even though I tend to prefer NIDB. And, as much as I still love the NIB commentary series, it's almost not worth the trouble when Interpretation is available. (Again, another resource that, inexplicably, is available for Logos, but not for Accordance!)

I've switched to Logos and am staying the course. If NIB and NIDB come to Logos, I'll buy them immediately (I've already ordered both on pre-pub and wouldn't cancel the order). If not, so be it. By the time NIB is made available, it'll be almost 20 years old anyway. Perhaps it's time to move on.

Interpretation have volumes pushing 30 in a few instances (Interp 1982-2005 and NIB was 1994-2002).... If there was anything like the NIB newer out there I would be happy with it.  I am not saying the NIB is perfect, but a very nice balance of critical work with devotional/applicable reflections too. Now I will admit Westminster volumes sometimes have a similar frame work but not always (and not nearly as technical as i would like) as well as not including the full alexandrian canon.

-Dan

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 7:34 AM

Dan,

Don't misunderstand – I said that I've given up on getting the NIB/NIDB digitally. I already have the hardcover books sitting on my shelf! :)

I will admit, however, that I barely use the NIDB anymore b/c it's just so much easier to do basic Bible dictionary work in Logos via ABD. That makes me sad b/c I love NIDB for its nice balance between biblical studies and theological content, but it's just a reality given the time I have, I suppose.

But, I still use the NIB almost every day for my work. The same goes for a wide variety of OTL/NTL volumes. These are the two resources that no one (so far) has that would make it possible for me to switch to an (almost) all-digital workflow if they were made available. And, yes, I'd gladly buy them for a different software – OliveTree, Accordance, Kindle – if they both were available (i.e. NIB and OTL/NTL) in the near-ish future.

(And I should add – Yes, it's true that many of the Interpretation volumes are getting old. That's why it'd be great to see the Abingdon OT/NT Commentaries available for Logos, too!)

Page 3 of 6 (115 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS