Latin Dictionaries/Lexicons

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 24 2013 6:14 PM

It seems to me that dictionaries are critical and essential beasts at the heart of what makes Logos such an amazing resource.    

All of my hardcopy dictionaries - my OED, my Lewis & Short, my OLD, my LSJ, etc. - now look mighty inert sitting on my study shelves.  Huge, unwieldy, and just lacking in so many ways - not dynamically linked, unsearchable, etc.  I am hoping that in the near future, I shall be able to  probably put them out to retirement in the living room, where they can enjoy cocktail hour, where our guests can gaze upon their spines lovingly.  Smile

I own Logos' LSJ and love it.  And I've bid on the Lewis & Short - and Logos is correct, it is an excellent dictionary.

Still, it's hard to believe that the OUP doesn't want to expand its market for a volume (the Oxford Latin Dictionary) that, really, as a printed resource, has probably seen its day.  

So I am still hoping that the Oxford Latin Dictionary - and even the OED - will be in the works someday.  And maybe even Forcellini's Lexicon Totius Latinitatis.

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 9:18 PM

Lewis and Short's Latin Dictionary is trying to be published but not enough interest has been shown in it. The Oxford Latin Dictionary was, as I understand it, close to done, when OUP pulled the contract. It had been under development for sometime by Logos but then vanished  of pre-pub status. So add your bid to L & S and hopefully as you said OLD will make it to Logos.

-Dan

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 9:22 PM

Oxford Latin Dictionary is a fuller discussion.

-Dan

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:22 AM

What seems odd to me is that we all need dictionaries.  

For example, I understand that maybe not everyone wants the Patrologiae Cursus Completus - and that for others perhaps Paul Tillich, or whomever, is a priority. 

But a dictionary?  Don't we all need dictionaries?  

Maybe we should start a "campaign for L&S thread"?

I'd be glad to do it - however, methinks you prolly have more clout around here, I'm just a newcomer. 

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:38 AM

Mr. Micawber:

What seems odd to me is that we all need dictionaries.  

For example, I understand that maybe not everyone wants the Patrologiae Cursus Completus - and that for others perhaps Paul Tillich, or whomever, is a priority. 

But a dictionary?  Don't we all need dictionaries?  

I'd be glad to do it - however, methinks you prolly have more clout around here, I'm just a newcomer. 

Come on, you could have a Dickens of a time with it.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:42 AM

Haha, hello George.  Smile

I prolly would indeed, sir.  I can't keep waiting for "something to turn up" forever, now can I?  lol!!

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 10:28 AM

Mr. Micawber:

There are probably ten such already. Feel free to search for them and bump the one you like best.Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS