Highlight without creating a note entry

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Ric Pratz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:03 AM

I would like to highlight text in any single resource wthout Logos5 creating a corresponding entry into a Notes document.

Deleting the corresponding Notes entry deletes the highlighting on the selected text. I either end up with a bunch of note entires that I don't want, or have to open a Notes document to dump unwanted note entires.

Is there some way to turn this function OFF? 

Posts 23589
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:19 AM

Hi Richard - and welcome to the forums

Richard Pratz:
I would like to highlight text in any single resource wthout Logos5 creating a corresponding entry into a Notes document.

You can't do this as Highlights are stored in Notes documents - it is the way the software works.

Richard Pratz:
Deleting the corresponding Notes entry deletes the highlighting on the selected text

Correct

Richard Pratz:
I either end up with a bunch of note entires that I don't want, or have to open a Notes document to dump unwanted note entires.

You can designate that notes associated with highlights are stored in a specific notesfile - then you could just ignore this notesfile and that should - I think - give you what you need.

Does this work for you?

Graham 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:24 AM

Welcome to the forums.

The 'note' IS the highlight. You can't have one without the other.

What exactly is the problem? You can set which 'note' file the highlights go to, so you can set them to go to a special file you never even open.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3
Ric Pratz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:22 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

As I would move from resource to resource, Highlighting text, I would get notes put in the last Note document left open, which I did not want. When I deleted those notes, I didn't immediately see I was deleting the highlighting too. I didn't always open a Note document when studying, so it was not obvious what was happening.

Are you saying that there is a way to set a ‘default’ Notes document when none are open?

That would be nice, but now that I know that the software will put the note in the Last used Note document, whether it is open or not, I put in the extra effort to always manage Note documents when studying.

Posts 23589
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:32 AM

Richard Pratz:
Are you saying that there is a way to set a ‘default’ Notes document when none are open?

Yes, it is managed at the highlighting palette level

If you hover over the name of a palette a blue "dropdown indicator" appears to the right - click on that and select the "Save in:" option at the bottom

Posts 3
Ric Pratz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:36 AM

Perfect !!!

Thanks so much for the help and the quick responses.

In His Serivce,

Richard

Posts 23589
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:33 AM

You are very welcome.

Glad to help

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 1:21 AM

Richard Pratz:
Is there some way to turn this function OFF?

As described in these posts, you can't turn it off, but there is a way to manage it.

In my view, this is a bit of a pain. I base this on the assertion that these 'highlight notes' especially if mixed together with multiple books serves little purpose. I also suggest that having to manually manage highlighting into notefiles into multiple files over complicates the software for most users. 

A compromise would be the default place that highlights would be stored would be a notefile connected to a given book (similar to Kindle). At least you would not have to worry about where highlights are stored and if you do need to access them that it will always be connected to the book.  The Kindle way in my view is simpler and I am a bit surprised that with the redesign effort from Logos 3 to 4 (and now 5) to keep it simple, that notes are set up the way they are.

This is just a minor opinion though and there are others who feel the current method of options is superior. The good news is that once you understand what is going on in the background, you can manage it.  You just need to remember to change it as you move from resource to resource.  It is a big pain if you forget.

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:40 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
A compromise would be the default place that highlights would be stored would be a notefile connected to a given book (similar to Kindle).

This has always been my view... which is what I call "resource specific note file." I manually do this now, which is a pain to do... but better than the default "put everything into a pallet specific note file."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 41
Robert B Harte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 9:47 AM

I may be missing something, but I add a highlight by using my mouse to mark the passage to highlight and selecting " CTL K"  The last color selected will highlight the passage selected.

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:11 AM

Robert B Harte:

I may be missing something, but I add a highlight by using my mouse to mark the passage to highlight and selecting " CTL K"  The last color selected will highlight the passage selected.

I think you must... Smile

The original post isn't about "how to create a highlight," but rather about the inner workings of how that note is created. For quite a while now, every highlight has a corresponding note within a note file. The default behavior is for a note to be added to a pallet specific note file. If you look up your note files, you will find a note file named after each and every highlighter pallet which you have used... Unless you changed the default behavior. In those note documents are the corresponding notes to the highlights. If you delete a note, you also delete the highlight. 

Posts 1
Jeffrey Fried | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 7:28 PM

While working on my iPad i can easily highlight both with, and without, notes.  Why isn't that interface available since most of the time i don't, and i believe most of us don't, want to add a note?  I've been forced to read, and highlight, using my iPad most of the time because the interface on the desktop application is far too clumsy by comparison - in fact this alone may stop me from using the desktop application and after paying so much to move to 5 i am more than a little dissapointed.  At the very least the dektop interface should provide a simple choose highlight as is done with the iPad/Kindle interface.  How can i pass this suggestion back to the Logos developers?

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 7:38 PM

Jeffrey Fried:
How can i pass this suggestion back to the Logos developers?

The notes can easily be invisible to you if you set the default note file in the highlighting template. The presence of a "note" is the vehicle used to carry the information required to sync highlighting. If it syncs, a note is present whether it is visible to you or not. Logos has, in effect, left the visibility up to the user. Use the Suggestions forum to pass your suggestion to the developers.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 7:46 PM

Welcome to the forums Jeffrey.

Jeffrey Fried:
While working on my iPad i can easily highlight both with, and without, notes. 

Just to clarify, are you talking about highlighting with Logos or another way? If you highlight in Logos without creating a note the Logos default will be to place the highlight in a palette-specific note.

Jeffrey Fried:
Why isn't that interface available since most of the time i don't, and i believe most of us don't, want to add a note?

I usually create a note with the same name as the book and direct all of my highlights to be stored there. I agree that highlighting needs to be improved but this works fairly well in the meantime.

Suggestions can be made to Logos through this address: suggest@logos.com

...or the suggestions forums as M.J. pointed out.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6
C.A.Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 8:10 PM

The problem I have with the current system is that it's too flexible.

I was creating one Notes file per topic (since this is usually the way I relate to things) and putting everything in that file. Unfortunately, if you put in 5 notes and 53 highlights, it can be tough to find the notes.

I've also tried the one pallet-per-resource or one-per-topic and that works great except I find my use of highlighting converging to a standard schema. And having 100 pallets clutters up the UI. 

I wonder if they would consider an option to "hide" the highlights in a Notes file? That way you can keep things together but not be bothered by the minutiae. 

Cliff

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:06 PM

C.A.Williams:

I've also tried the one pallet-per-resource or one-per-topic and that works great except I find my use of highlighting converging to a standard schema. And having 100 pallets clutters up the UI. 

The other option is to change the pallet behavior to put notes in the "last used" note document. This might not work well for thematic note documents, but works great for resource specific ones when you are reading through a resource. 

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:12 PM

Jeffrey Fried:

While working on my iPad i can easily highlight both with, and without, notes. 

That isn't true. Both desktop and mobile apps function essentially the same. Every highlight creates a note in a note document. The behavior for where the note gets stored can be changed. 

Posts 253
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:25 PM

The Notes/Highlights Tide

If someone wrote all the talk about notes, we would have another Talmud! Definitely have to change. In this case Logos is swimming against the tide.

Posts 28688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 9:46 PM

ROGER JIMENEZ:

If someone wrote all the talk about notes, we would have another Talmud! Definitely have to change. In this case Logos is swimming against the tide.

I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Posts 5495
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 10:02 PM

alabama24:

ROGER JIMENEZ:

I have no idea what you are talking about. 

i think Roger is referring to the discussion of notes and highlights being an ongoing discussion that never ends and there is a divide between user expectations and logos implementation.

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS