Highlight without creating a note entry

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 255
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 10:02 PM

Well, debe ser mi inglés.

All I say is that this is a recurrent topic, and there has to be another answer than "this is the way Logos works".

Posts 255
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 10:15 PM

Wink

Posts 2751
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 10:32 PM

All we need is a menu toggle to hide the "Highlighting Only" annotations from displaying in the document (identified by having no content), this I believe is acheivable simply by modifying the sql statement used to load the active document, and would require minimal program changes,

After many voicings of objections during Early Beta phase, I have also given up expecting this simple change that would improve my sanity

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 31001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 5 2013 11:43 PM

ROGER JIMENEZ:
there has to be another answer than "this is the way Logos works".

if you prefer, this is how it was designed ... it was a conscious choice on the part of the design team ... alternatives have less reusable code ... it's not as bad as the lectionary calendar structure ... it isn't as bad as being able to create notes only a single link, at least there's a work around ...

Remember that logically it has to be there for synchronizing to work ... the question is whether or not one calls it a note (or, more  precisely, a subtype of note) and whether or not it is visible. Yes, it is a recurrent topic partially because users don't understand how it works, why it works that way, and how to make it as visible or invisible as they need. But then how often are filters being on (or off) by accident recurrent topics? Or interlinear lines?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 255
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 12:21 AM

MJ. Smith:
Yes, it is a recurrent topic partially because users don't understand how it works, why it works that way, and how to make it as visible or invisible as they need.

I'd just like to understand why (Oh Lord, WHY!!!!!), can't select a text and have the choice to create a new note from there? It's the logical starting point of creating a study. The ABC of a book, the first step to Mars... Have you seen (let's say in MS Word), that you need to create a file BEFORE you can use it? From this point on, Logos may build, if they want, the more complex stuff on colored notes that you can imagine. Big Smile

Posts 31001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 12:36 AM

ROGER JIMENEZ:
Have you seen (let's say in MS Word), that you need to create a file BEFORE you can use it?

Er ... ah... as a retired IT type yes I have. And if one doesn't, one retains the information in memory or a temp file ... both of which are easily messed up. Having messed myself up many times, in MS Word it is my practice to enter the Title on the new document, save it and then go to work.Geeked

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28930
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 5:41 AM

ROGER JIMENEZ:

MJ. Smith:
Yes, it is a recurrent topic partially because users don't understand how it works, why it works that way, and how to make it as visible or invisible as they need.

I'd just like to understand why (Oh Lord, WHY!!!!!), can't select a text and have the choice to create a new note from there? It's the logical starting point of creating a study. The ABC of a book, the first step to Mars... Have you seen (let's say in MS Word), that you need to create a file BEFORE you can use it? From this point on, Logos may build, if they want, the more complex stuff on colored notes that you can imagine. Big Smile

I still have no idea what you are talking about. 

1. If someone doesn't like the "Highlight = a Note," then simply highlight away and never open the note documents. (There may be a negative performance hit, but at least the user can live in blissful ignorance)
  2. You can already "select a text and create a new note from there." (Isn't that what this whole highlighting discussion is about... Selecting a text and making notes?) Am I not understanding you correctly?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28930
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 5:49 AM

MJ. Smith:

Remember that logically it has to be there for synchronizing to work ... the question is whether or not one calls it a note (or, more  precisely, a subtype of note) and whether or not it is visible. Yes, it is a recurrent topic partially because users don't understand how it works, why it works that way, and how to make it as visible or invisible as they need. 

I have argued over and over that highlights should default to a resource specific note document, which is available only in a special view. I stand by that and will continue. I am already past "blue in the face."

It's not that I don't like the powerful abilities of how highlighting notes work currently (I do, and it's great), but most users want to highlight and forget it. To them, a highlight does not equal a "note."

Since we are bringing up all our issues anyways... Please, please, please add a "quote only view." This can be done either in the resource itself, or in the note document. The former would be more useful IMO. 

Posts 9503
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 7:25 AM

alabama24:
I have argued over and over that highlights should default to a resource specific note document, which is available only in a special view. I stand by that and will continue. I am already past "blue in the face."

I am totally in agreement with you.

Be sure to take a breath! Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 7:52 AM

We can take notes with Logos? Wow that's cool. Lol just Kidding :)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 8:35 AM

Bruce Dunning:

alabama24:

I am totally in agreement with you.

Be sure to take a breath! Wink

Thanks, Bruce!                                             Great Humour indeed!                         Blessings, Alabama!                *smile*    Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 28930
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 9:28 AM

I see that you have revealed my secret identity. Thanks for nothing. Big Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 9:34 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
The Kindle way in my view is simpler

agree.

wwtt

Posts 28930
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 11:14 AM

toughski:

Donovan R. Palmer:
The Kindle way in my view is simpler

agree.

I didn't understand so I went back for clarification:

Donovan R. Palmer:
A compromise would be the default place that highlights would be stored would be a notefile connected to a given book (similar to Kindle). At least you would not have to worry about where highlights are stored and if you do need to access them that it will always be connected to the book.  The Kindle way in my view is simpler and I am a bit surprised that with the redesign effort from Logos 3 to 4 (and now 5) to keep it simple, that notes are set up the way they are.

Sounds like resource specific note files to me. Smile

Posts 31001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2013 12:36 PM

alabama24:
I have argued over and over that highlights should default to a resource specific note document, which is available only in a special view.

That is a solution which could work well.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS