Lexham Bible Guides: A Definite Curiousity

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10457
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 31 2013 6:55 AM

This isn't whining. They're not mine.

But I was reading the blog from yesterday on the Paul set. Without a calculator, maybe $45 each.

I just suspect (and don't know) it's a missed opportunity. For me $19.95 each, I'd probably load up. Certainly for the home Bible classes we have. $29.95 not. $39.95 in your dreams.

The irony is I'd get Romans and 1 Cor for $40. No brainer. But not Romans for $40. Not sure why. I think it has to do with short term vs long term use.

I've read their logic. Saved time. But time isn't the issue. Amazon delivers pretty quick; also ChristianDiscount. And cheaper. Convenience is the issue vs price point.  But maybe the things are selling like hotcakes. It's possible.  Maybe they interface with Proclaim.

I do feel for John Berry (apologies if wrong name). They do seem to put their heart into it. It IS a good idea.

Posts 2370
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:20 AM

The Lexham Bible Guides do look interesting, however, they are too pricey for me.

It would be nice if Logos could give one to try then users could see if it would be beneficial to purchase more.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:12 AM

Ronald Quick:

The Lexham Bible Guides do look interesting, however, they are too pricey for me.

It would be nice if Logos could give one to try then users could see if it would be beneficial to purchase more.

I bought the first LBG that was available. It was interesting, but I did not think it was worth the price.

It is the only Logos title that I ever returned.

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:29 AM

lexham bible guides should've been priced below $200... Seriously it is WAY overpriced for what it is worth I think.

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 9:21 AM

I'm torn on these books. I bought one to try it out only to find that virtually every linked resource is locked.

That's not completely a problem as they give you two or three sentences from each resource. But I was left with the sense that I could just as easily cycle through the commentaries I do own where I get complete analysis, not just two or three sentences.

No, not as efficient, but then we're to the price issue. For me, it's too expensive. But I may not be the target audience. Fair enough... plenty of other resources that are in my price range.

It's a good idea, though. But perhaps a better option for those who have one of the more expensive base packages where more of the commentaries are already in your library. And likely very useful for a pastor who wants to quickly get a sense of what different people are saying (even if the pastor doesn't have the resources being pointed to.)

Posts 1006
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 9:58 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You would be much better off with http://www.logos.com/product/4294/exegetical-summaries-series and you can buy individual volumes for cheaper than a certain other series.

Posts 2013
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:39 AM

I agree.  I bought the Genesis 1-11 volume in order to test it out.  I figured that it would be good to see how they treat the different interpretations of the creation narrative.  It truly is a great book, but as has been stated, the price is way to high. 

I would think that the point of these guides is to make people purchase other books from Logos, which I did in spades after looking through the Genesis volume, but to then charge a fortune for the actual book seems to go against that marketing logic. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 11:05 AM

Tom Reynolds:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You would be much better off with http://www.logos.com/product/4294/exegetical-summaries-series and you can buy individual volumes for cheaper than a certain other series.

Yes

If only Logos would take the effort put into writing the Lexham Bible Guides and instead tag the Exegetical Summaries properly ...

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 12:27 PM

I bought Ephesians. I enjoyed it a lot, but decided it was too expensive. I have gone back to it several times to try to talk myself into buying more volumes and I just can't at the current price point.  Logos obviously has an economy they have to honour to keep it in the black.  I wonder what price it would have fetched on Community Pricing.

I agree tagging Exegetical Summaries would be stunning. The Bible software world is just waiting for it to be unlocked through aggressive tagging.

Posts 3197
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:53 PM

Here is a series that is desperately need to go along with Exegetical Summaries- http://www.sil.org/resources/publications/ssas somkes .

The Lexham Guides I might consider if less than $200, remember you may end up spending thousands just to make them truly usable.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:57 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

I bought Ephesians. I enjoyed it a lot, but decided it was too expensive. I have gone back to it several times to try to talk myself into buying more volumes and I just can't at the current price point.  Logos obviously has an economy they have to honour to keep it in the black.  I wonder what price it would have fetched on Community Pricing.

I agree tagging Exegetical Summaries would be stunning. The Bible software world is just waiting for it to be unlocked through aggressive tagging.

My experience and thoughts exactly!

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 2:07 AM

I was reading in Faithlife Study Bible last night (I usually don't go to it much) and noticed again quite a number of links to the Lexham Bible Guides. It makes sense of course to link to your own product.  However, once you get to the LBGs, you need a fairly extensive library of materials to support them.  It all forms a chain, but in my view the LBGs are a bit of a pricey part of the chain.  I would also suggest that extensive liking from FSB to LBGs, as opposed to linking direct to common resources, reduces the usefulness of Faithlife Study Bible.  This is not a critique, but rather an observation.  Maybe one day I will be able to afford the LBGs, but not today. 

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 11:47 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

I made a Logos User Voice request to have the tagging fixed in the Exegetical Summaries. Please vote for it.

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/4297644-tag-all-the-references-properly-in-the-exegetical-

Posts 336
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 2:42 PM

LBG's are expensive, but imo, also outstanding.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS