Package Names Confusion, Again

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 146
Peter Lever | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 10 2013 10:37 AM
I owned Portfolio in L4 and own Gold in L5 along with numerous add on Collections. Part of my reason to Purchase Portfolio in L4 was to have a Package with that name for the rest of my life - the highest Package Logos offered at that time.  Call this stupid, but emotion and liking  plays a role in purchase decisions. Logos 5 changed it all for me. Then comes m.Ed. that ideally requires a minimum of Platinum. How do I know whether I qualify? My suggestion -  at least make it more affordable to retain the same package level while upgrading.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 12:35 PM

The package name and content shuffle was very confusing.  The flip-side was another opportunity to acquire more resources at rock bottom pricing. It isn't cheap to go from Portfolio 4 to Portfolio 5.  But I am glad I did.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2731
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 12:46 PM

I'd assume they mean the package in version 5 since that's what they're selling now.

Posts 2445
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:21 PM

Peter Lever:
 Then comes m.Ed. that ideally requires a minimum of Platinum. How do I know whether I qualify?  

Try Products / upgrade and new to you to see what you are missing from the new Platinum package.

I added 512 resources going from Plat4 to plat5

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:22 PM
I certainly wouldn't upgrade just because the course says you need Platinum.

I have Logos 4 Platinum and just did the minimum crossgrade for Logos 5. I still consider myself to have a very rich Platinum library. I simply didn't see anything in the Logos 5 base packages that made spending more money worthwhile.

What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 2:27 PM

Jonathan Pitts:
I have Logos 4 Platinum and just did the minimum crossgrade for Logos 5. I still consider myself to have a very rich Platinum library. I simply didn't see anything in the Logos 5 base packages that made spending more money worthwhile.

It is entirely possible Logos Mobile Education will feature some of the new content from Platinum 5 as support texts. If they do you will be missing some of them.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:10 PM

I think it would be cheaper to evaluate whether that resource is really necessary or whether one of my several thousand resources is good enough. If it really is necessary, it will probably be cheaper to buy it separately.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:14 PM

Looking through the update page again, there really is very little marked as new to which is mission critical. Those that are, I bought as prepubs.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:28 PM
Jonathan Pitts:

Looking through the update page again, there really is very little marked as new to which is mission critical. Those that are, I bought as prepubs.

Should read ... new to me which ..., but I can't edit it on my iPad.

Posts 2445
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:39 PM

Jonathan Pitts:

it will probably be cheaper to buy it separately.

One upgrade cost me less for the whole upgrade then one set that is in it that was on my wish list. [but I had a lot that was in the upgrade]

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:46 PM

David Ames:
One upgrade cost me less for the whole upgrade then one set that is in it that was on my wish list. [but I had a lot that was in the upgrade]

That has always been my consideration. I add up the individual titles in the upgrade that I really want and once they pass the price of the upgrade I get swayed to go that route. Everything else is "free." My problem is I like a lot of the resources and convince myself I need them.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 3:53 PM

It sounds as though you are as addicted as me, but we have to be realistic about how many books one person can actually read (especially reading as slowly as I do).

Original source documents are nice to have for reference, but I can't justify getting any more commentaries and general books unless I'm really going to make use of them.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 4:00 PM

Jonathan Pitts:
It sounds as though you are as addicted as me, but we have to be realistic about how many books one person can actually read (especially reading as slowly as I do).

I look at it from two perspectives;

If I read one book a day for the rest of my life (and don't buy any more) I will have to live another 30 years to read them all. This scenario is unlikely.

If I consider the Logos search engine "reads" every one of my books every time I perform a search I have a virtual research team reading for me and presenting relative references for my final inspection. Naturally, I go with this view to justify my continuing purchases. Embarrassed

Posts 1646
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 9:05 PM

Peter Lever:
Call this stupid, but emotion and liking  plays a role in purchase decisions. Logos 5 changed it all for me.

Hopefully Logos marketing division is reading and grasping how Peter felt here.

I can understand their marketing desire to use the launch of Logos 5 as a reason to sell us a heap of resources that we would never have otherwise bought, but the strategy had the potential to alienate users who didn’t buy in.

What Peter refers to as the “emotion” is, I think, the relationship between us as client and Logos. This is very subjective, but I too feel the strategy created distance between me and Logos.

I’d purchased Platinum in Logos 4. When 5 came out, I ran a spreadsheets on each of the upgrades and decided that none of those packages represented value for me. Consequently I’m now registered as a “minimal” customer. Then I was targeted with suggestions that I would not get the best out of Logos until I bought a base package. (That’s not the actual wording—just the feeling it created).

So I’ve opted out of most of the marketing campaigns now, again with the feeling of being pushed aside, devalued as a minimal customer whose past history they’ve moved on from.

Other factors do ameliorate that feeling, most notably that the Logos tech people have responded quickly and appropriately to bugs I’ve faced in using Logos 5. That’s been quite outstanding really.

But I do feel more resistant to Logos marketing since version 5 came out, which is probably not the impression they wanted to create.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS