Top Arminian based commentary on the book of Romans

Page 3 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 94 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 3:28 PM

Michael Childs:
My goodness, I am so surprised that we could not settle the Calvinist - Arminian debate in this thread.

If we can't even convince George that Interlinears serve a useful purpose, how can we solve this issue? Big Smile

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 7:05 PM

JRS:

BTW, in response to the OP's question I was going to suggest Geisler's Chosen But Free but in checking the Scripture index I see that he only covers up to Ro 9:29.

I found Geislers "Chosen but Free" to be a very worthwhile read. The book never claimed to be an exhaustive commentary on Romans 9, such as Pipers did. I recommend it for anyone with an open mind. Apparently James White didn't appreciate it as much as I did Surprise

Regarding Sola Scriptura, I think that is a really great idea. Too bad it has never been tried.

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 7:12 PM

John:
I found Geislers "Chosen but Free" to be a very worthwhile read.

I really wish it were made available digitally. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1435
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 8:05 PM

alabama24:

me too, thank you for suggestion JRS and John

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 3:39 AM

alabama24:

Apparently, it is not available in any digital format. Loaned my print copy to a friend who a couple of years later thanked me for giving him the book Huh? He had just had some tragedy in his family, so I did not have the heart to tell him it was a loan.

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 4:18 AM

Jack Caviness:

alabama24:

Loaned my print copy to a friend who a couple of years later thanked me for giving him the book Huh? He had just had some tragedy in his family, so I did not have the heart to tell him it was a loan.

Was it the updated one?

Posts 10130
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 4:34 AM

Jack Caviness:

alabama24:

Apparently, it is not available in any digital format.

It seems a major retailer of books (and practically anything else), whose breadth of offer might be likened to one of the world's largest river-systems offers the second edition (2001) - just got me a preview to make sure about the version they send over:

(picture taken from Kindle for PC application)

Note that the TOC of my 3rd edition (2010) paper version looks slightly different, especially it seems that Geisler in the 3rd edition calls views more often "extreme sovereignity" and "extreme free will" that he used to call "extreme Calvinism" and "extreme Arminianism" in the 2nd edition. There's no longer a direct response to "the potter's freedom" in the 3rd edition.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:33 AM

alabama24:

Jack Caviness:
Loaned my print copy to a friend who a couple of years later thanked me for giving him the book Huh? He had just had some tragedy in his family, so I did not have the heart to tell him it was a loan.

Was it the updated one?

Do not remember.

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:46 AM

NB.Mick:
There's no longer a direct response to "the potter's freedom" in the 3rd edition.

Hmm. I wonder why?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:01 AM

Wild Eagle:

I am studying the book of Romans. So far, the top commentaries I looked lean toward Calvinism. I would really like to see Arminian view point (Especially Romans 9-11), Can anyone suggest which commentary I should use.

PS: I am looking more scholarly commentary rather than devotional... 

Can anyone even READ Romans and remain an Arminian?  Tongue Tied

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:08 AM

alabama24:

NB.Mick:
There's no longer a direct response to "the potter's freedom" in the 3rd edition.

Hmm. I wonder why?

I can make some guesses, but you dont want to hear them from a Calvinist.Wink

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:09 AM

George Somsel:
Can anyone even READ Romans and remain an Arminian?

The REFORMED theologian Jacobus Arminius?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:16 AM

alabama24:

George Somsel:
Can anyone even READ Romans and remain an Arminian?

The REFORMED theologian Jacobus Arminius?

Well, the CATHOLIC Pelegius had his problems too.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:19 AM

I'm Anabaptist. I'll just have to take my lumps. Wink

Posts 778
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:21 AM

alabama24:

John:
I found Geislers "Chosen but Free" to be a very worthwhile read.

I agree.  I would like to see Geisler's CBF paired with White's The Potter's Freedom and offered as a Logos mini-collection.  I think it would make a much more stimulating read than the Horton/Olson pairing.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:25 AM

alabama24:

I'm Anabaptist. I'll just have to take my lumps. Wink

One lump or two?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:26 AM

George Somsel:
One lump or two?

I guess with you and Evan, it was a one-two punch. (or perhaps Hawaiian) Smile

Posts 1435
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:10 AM

JRS:

I agree.  I would like to see Geisler's CBF paired with White's The Potter's Freedom and offered as a Logos mini-collection.  I think it would make a much more stimulating read than the Horton/Olson pairing.

I love the Horton/Olson pairing. Pairing Geisler's CBF with White's The Potter's Freedom would also a very good idea

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 6:56 PM

Mark Barnes:

His argument, therefore, is that we should be faithful to what the Bible "actually says", rather than trying to mould the Bible into a particular hermeneutical framework.

My copy of The Problem with Evangelical Theology is in print, and I'm too lazy to type out large portions! But the quote below is from Indelible Image, which I do have in Logos:

"Upon further review, it turns out that the biblical texts mean something other than what Calvinists and Arminians thought."

Fwiw, I've made the point a few times in the past that in the argument between Calvinists and Arminians, the correct choice is neither.

Posts 9017
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:07 AM

Wild Eagle:

JRS:

I love the Horton/Olson pairing. Pairing Geisler's CBF with White's The Potter's Freedom would also a very good idea

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 3 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS