FREE book John MacArthur Strange Fire by mail

Page 1 of 4 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 26 2013 7:30 PM

Strange Fire book 

place your order now for FREE directly from GTY's site. I know Amazon has this for $17

This video goes well with the upcoming book.. Valid Truth (recently preached 8/4/13)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 7:36 PM

mike:
Strange Fire book 

Thanks.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1459
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 7:40 PM

I will skip this deal and the "anti-Holy Spirit" author Stick out tongue God bless him....

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9281
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 7:45 PM

Thanks Mike. I have been interested in reading this book so this is a great opportunity. I only with it were in Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9281
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 7:48 PM

Wild Eagle:

I will skip this deal and the "anti-Holy Spirit" author Stick out tongue God bless him....

I would not call him "anti-Holy Spirit". He just has a different perspective than some. Even if someone doesn't agree with his views it is still valuable to understand what he is saying. If I only chose to only have Logos resources that aligned with my beliefs my library would be a lot smaller.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 8:01 PM

Bruce Dunning:

...I only with it were in Logos.

Its on Pre-Order in Vyrso!

Posts 9281
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 8:07 PM

Paul Newsome:

Bruce Dunning:

...I only with it were in Logos.

Its on Pre-Order in Vyrso!

Thanks Paul. I missed that. I checked Logos but forgot to check Vyrso. Actually I wish that there was a way to search both Logos and Vyrso at the same time but that is another topic.

Posts 4953
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 8:35 PM

Wild Eagle:

In a nutshell, what does your comment reference? Is there a particular book of his that you have in mind?

Oh, sorry...posted before checking the link...I assume you are referring to the Strange Fire book. Anything else in mind?

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 8:53 PM

In a nutshell, what does your comment reference? Is there a particular book of his that you have in mind?

Oh, sorry...posted before checking the link...I assume you are referring to the Strange Fire book. Anything else in mind?

Charismatic Chaos by John MacArthur

super-ultra-good book to broaden the perspective on Pentecostal vs Non-Pantecostal

Posts 4953
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 9:27 PM

mike:

Charismatic Chaos by John MacArthur

super-ultra-good book to broaden the perspective on Pentecostal vs Non-Pantecostal

Ah, one of the few of his I don't seem to have, though I've heard of it.

So, Superman...he's super. Superman becomes weak and defenseless in the presence of krypton. Have I now denied Superman, because I identified a characteristic that is not-so-super? Have I insulted him? Haven't I just spoken truth? Is he now non-existent? Isn't he still capable of super deeds, once the krypton goes away? Can't he still save the day?

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 3:39 AM

Sorry I really don't understand what you're trying to say..

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 4:22 AM

mike:

Sorry I really don't understand what you're trying to say..

Perhaps abuses of charismatic gifts is kryptonite for MacArthur Hmm

Posts 372
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 5:57 AM

I don't agree with all he says, but he has been gifted by God.

In Him,

Jim

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 1459
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 7:05 AM

The reason why I am so strong against this author is because he criticizes the whole denomination based on some flaws which happens in some churches And among well known preachers  

imagine if the Corinthian church would be in the 21st century, where the gifts of Holy Sprit were manifested and at the same time lots of flaws: some members are sleeping with parents, adultery, and other works of the flesh. MacArthur would defenetly say that it's a strange fire and the work of Holy Spirit cannot be present there. It would be included in his book. That's why I call him "anti-Holy Spirit", looking at the flaws he can easily replace the work of Holy Spirit a with strange fire. 

PS: I do not want theological debate, I just wanted to express my opinion about the author. Sorry if I crossed the line

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9281
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 7:45 AM

Wild Eagle:
I do not want theological debate, I just wanted to express my opinion about the author. Sorry if I crossed the line

Thanks for explaining your position. I think that it is fine to express our opinions but characterizing him as being "anti-Holy Spirit" was certainly an invitation to others to respond. Have you actually read this book?

Posts 1459
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 8:04 AM

No, and most likely I wont, but I watched his videos to learn his stand point, where he criticises the whole denomination. 

Edit: Here is one example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8TOHPUQgo

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 8:29 AM

Wild Eagle:

No, and most likely I wont, but I watched his videos to learn his stand point, where he criticises the whole denomination. 

I'm with you on this one Wild Eagle, and I did watch this video. I'm doing my best to restrain myself from responding, because these forums are not the place to debate this, or any theological point--not even views I strongly disagree with, nor arguments that seem easy to address.

[Working on that last one in the list of the fruit of the Spirit here.]

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 8:58 AM

Not to be pedantic, but which 'denomination' is he criticizing? The term charismatic is a catch-all (perhaps unfairly) used to denote a certain set of beliefs and practices. 

I know quite a few Pentecostals who would not describe themselves as charismatic, for example

Wild Eagle:

Posts 2131
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 9:03 AM

Wild Eagle:

I just watched the example you gave. Maybe I missed it. What "whole denomination" does he criticize? I hear him mention several denominations (Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian) and movements (Third Wave, Charismatic movement), but I must be missing "the whole denomination" to which you refer.

Just to prove I haven't "drunk the Kool-Aid" and accept everything he says, I disagree with Johnny Mac's use of 1 Cor 13 to indicate cessation of tongues because I disagree with his understanding of "that which is perfect".

EDIT: Geo and I seem to have cross posted.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1459
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 9:20 AM

David Thomas:

What "whole denomination" does he criticize? I hear him mention several denominations (Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian) and movements (Third Wave, Charismatic movement), but I must be missing "the whole denomination" to which you refer.

I should use "Charismatic Movement" instead of denomination. It slipped my mind that it involves different denominations and is not considered as one denomination. Thanks for the correction 

EDIT: According to dictionary:

"Christianity any of various groups, within existing denominations, that emphasize communal prayer and the charismatic gifts of speaking in tongues,
healing, etc"

Page 1 of 4 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS