Considering buying a Mac

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Jeff Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 12 2013 1:44 PM

I currently own a PC and use Logos 4. I am considering buy a Mac and I wanted to know how Logos work on Mac. 

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 1:59 PM

Works great. What can I say more?

Depending on what you're shopping for, you may want to wait a few weeks. New Macbook Airs just came out, but everything else is due for an imminent refresh.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 22212
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 2:41 PM

Hi Jeff - and welcome to the forums.

Jeff Thomas:

I currently own a PC and use Logos 4. I am considering buy a Mac and I wanted to know how Logos work on Mac. 

The overall impression I get from Mac users (I am not one) on the forums is that Logos 5 (which is available as a free engine upgrade) works better on Mac than Logos 4 so well worth looking at upgrading.

Graham

Posts 1442
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 2:48 PM

I have desktop PC with i2700k processor and Macbook air 2012. I barely use Logos 5 on Mac because its to slow, it takes forever. It is not comparable to my desktop PC speed. I never tried on Macbook Pro, but I would not recommend Macbook air...

EDIT:

Last time I used, I downloaded 800mb of updates because I didnt use it for a while. While it was indexing my home page was spinning around 10 min with still no results, I gave up and skipped home page. I know it was indexing but it is not excusable to wait 10 min (and who knows how much more it would take if i would not skip it)... Mac by itself was hot and fan was working nonstop, because indexing was sucking all the power. During the exit, i had to crash it because it syncs forever. Not impressed with Logos on Mac. So far according to my experience, Logos 5 is built for windows and not Mac... It is not Mac native 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 4:00 PM

I own an iMac and a Macbook Pro. I used L5 on both. I think it works great. No complaints from me concerning speed.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:58 PM

Wild Eagle:
Macbook air 2012. I barely use Logos 5 on Mac because its to slow, it takes forever.

I tried it on a MBA 2012… worked very fast. I am surprised you were having issues.

-Dan

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:59 PM

Dan Francis:
I tried it
  Logos 4 I should say.

Posts 27961
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 6:07 PM

Jeff Thomas:

As has been alluded to, the L5 engine is free. If you are running better than XP, you are encouraged to update to the new engine. Certainly if you purchase a new computer you should do so. Feel free to ask if you have questions. As for the computer... The best thing to do is get the largest SSD you can afford. 

http://www.logos.com/installation 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1442
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:57 PM

Dan Francis:

Wild Eagle:
Macbook air 2012. I barely use Logos 5 on Mac because its to slow, it takes forever.

I tried it on a MBA 2012… worked very fast. I am surprised you were having issues.

-Dan

I am not sure Dan if you used Windows for Logos to compare. It makes me wonder that it was very fast on a MBA 2012 and especially Logos 4. From my personal experience, it would be unethical for me to say that it works fast no matter how I love Logos and respect Bob. I love the way it works on my windows machine, no complains but only my gratitude, but for Mac it's still dissapoitment even though L5 is much improved

I am glad that it works fast for you... I wish I could say that...

My suggestion Jeff, make a research on the forum and you will find many different posts about people's expirience L5 on Mac

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 1:43 AM

I would think hardware is more important than your OS when it comes to performance. I have Windows 7 on my iMac (boot camp). I don't use it anymore, but I saw a negligible difference in L4 performance between OSX and W7 - running on the same machine.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS