Suggestion: Jesus may not be a Key, only the key!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1081
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:22 AM

I was demonstrating L5 to a friend, got to the image search and chose Jesus ... this was page 1 of the search ...

They are all found because the footnote in the KJV study bible mentions Jesus ... but they are not quite images of Jesus!

I know that I could set up a collection to exclude this resource (but the collections list is so slow that I avoid using it if possible).

I know I can simply jump to page 10 of the hits (which is what I did), but is there a way that Logos could exclude this resources from their image search? I do not know if their systems have that capability.

BTW. As I posted this, I tried to highlight the resource name in the info panel and could not ... all I can do is 'copy' a full citation. Has it always been this way, not being able to copy the title of resource from the info panel?

Zodhiates, Spiros, and Warren Baker. The Complete Word Study Bible: King James Version. electronic ed. Chattanooga: AMG Publishers, 2000.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:35 AM

Hi Martin

Interesting - I have that resource but I don't get the "keys" returned in an image search - what version of Logos 5 are you running? I have 5.1b Beta 1.

I do get some other "less than helpful hits" as shown below (this is page 14)

So I doubt it Logos will start removing individual resources from these searches as it would be difficult to know which to go for.

Does restricting the search to something less than "All Images" help at all?

Graham 

Posts 1081
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:43 AM

Good idea! ... I have not even noticed that menu before Embarrassed

I am not sure what to exclude though ... and in the mean time I found another option ... adding the resource to my list of 'Hidden Resources'. I could try to find it again and restore it ... but that list is a little full of Perseus and Targums!

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:52 AM

Martin Folley:
I am not sure what to exclude though

That is a fair pointSmile

Martin Folley:
and in the mean time I found another option ... adding the resource to my list of 'Hidden Resources'.

that is a good option if it isn't actually a resource you want to reference

Posts 1770
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:00 AM

I wonder if it has anything to do with prioritization? Do you have the Word Study Bible prioritized in one of the higher spots?

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:05 AM

Rick:
Do you have the Word Study Bible prioritized in one of the higher spots?

No, I don't have it prioritised at all - but I scanned through the complete set of pages returned and the images you showed weren't included.

So I'm a little confused!

Posts 1081
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:50 PM

Martin Folley:
am not sure what to exclude though

If nothing is selected (the default state) then my search produces this:

Notice the icons towards the bottom ... another resource with similar issues; notice also the 3093 hits.

If I tick ALL the boxes (not excluding any particular type) then I see this:

Far more useful ... but with 'only' 1342 hits. My presumption is that these images have also been internally tagged by Logos with a marker that matches the menu list. It is now not just a raw search but a collated list of images that have significant content. The content might not be what I am after, but the icons have gone. Other images may not be collated as yet, but 1342 hits should give reasonable choice. 

I presume this is a by product of the tagging for the Bible Facts tool. 

I think I will keep it on at all times, and then expand my search if needed.

Thank you Logos for the background work that makes this so much more than a search engine. Big Smile

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:47 AM

Graham Criddle:
So I doubt it Logos will start removing individual resources from these searches as it would be difficult to know which to go for.

Nowadays, Logos doesn't tag "decorative embellishments" as images, to ensure they don't get returned in searches. This doesn't apply to older resources, however, which is the cause of the problem here.

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:56 AM

Mark Barnes:

Graham Criddle:

Nowadays, Logos doesn't tag "decorative embellishments" as images, to ensure they don't get returned in searches. This doesn't apply to older resources, however, which is the cause of the problem here.

Thanks Mark

That's useful insight

Graham 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS