Large Resource Update on or after Sept. 23 2013

Page 1 of 4 (64 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:38 AM

Hi Folks

We have been working on a fairly large resource update that will occur on either Monday (Sept 23) or Tues (Sept 24) or, if it doesn't quite get ready in time, the update will occur the following week (Mon Sept 30 or Tues Oct 1).

This update involves the Lexham Hebrew Bible, the SBL Greek New Testament, and resources that derive from them. This means that most reverse interlinear Bibles are updated as well as OT & NT interlinears and NT syntax databases that use this material.

The size of the update will be around 2 gigabytes.

We are purposely not releasing this resource update late in the week so as to not adversely affect sermon prep and whatnot with unexpected downloads and indexing during crunch time. And, barring something unexpected, we do not anticipate another resource update of Hebrew & Greek material of this magnitude in the near term future.

If you have concerns about controlling the timing of updates on your system, please make sure to switch the Automatically Download Updates preference to No. (Thanks to Dave Hooton for this advice).

I will respond to this thread when I know more about the exact timing of the update. 

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1435
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:41 AM

Thank you for doing so much work Big SmileYes

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1850
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:06 AM

Thanks Rick, 

This gives time to plan.

Posts 778
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 12:26 PM

Nice of you to let people know in advance but wouldn't you reach far more people if this announcement were placed in the Homepage of the software ... maybe even as a popup? 

Just a thought not a criticism.  Smile

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 2353
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 12:37 PM

Sounds like  a good use of the homepage.

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 1:25 PM

JRS:
Nice of you to let people know in advance but wouldn't you reach far more people if this announcement were placed in the Homepage of the software ... maybe even as a popup? 

I've passed your suggestion along to the folks who manage that communication channel. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 3:13 PM

Rick the suggestion to put it on the home page gave me another idea. Start a folder for important Logos announcements, (only staff can post to it) and the latest one always stays at the top. Once they have out lived their usefulness (in this case a week or so) move them. In that way persons will always know where to look for important information.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 3:31 PM

Tuesday morning or afternoon seems to be the best landing spot for this sort of batch updates.

Just make sure it does not coincide with MS Patch Tuesday! Smile

Posts 9009
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 7:44 PM

Mine is updating right now.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 87
Pinoy Preacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:53 PM

Yes

Posts 250
Edwin Sully PAYET | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:53 PM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
... This update involves the Lexham Hebrew Bible, ...
just for curiosity,

will that update make some complex Hebrew searches more accurate?

see here for example: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/75323/527274.aspx#527274

Posts 25103
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 1:33 AM

Edwin Sully PAYET:

just for curiosity, will that update make some complex Hebrew searches more accurate?

see here for example: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/75323/527274.aspx#527274

"more accurate" is always relative to the morphology. In this instance there have been some changes/updates to the morphology in the Lexham Hebrew Bible (LHB), and there have also been some corrections to the way that particular word instances are addressed (this also applies to the SBLGNT). In particular, reverse interlinear alignment will be directly affected.

The particular query @V BEFORE 0 words: @RS in LHB may be affected as well as the same query in the ESV (both using Logos Hebrew Morphology). The results may be "more accurate" but will continue to differ from other Hebrew morphologies (BHS, SESB, etc). ESV and other reverse interlinears will always give different results due to word order and the splitting of Hebrew words; both to accomodate alignment to the English translation.

EDIT: Yes, I have some "inside" information from Rick!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10319
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 7:50 AM

2 gigabytes? I don't think my paid library is that large. Looks like I'll be sitting out on Logos purchases for a while to hold on to bandwidth.

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 8:57 AM

Denise:
2 gigabytes?

Hi Denise

The complete size of updated resources is around 2 gigs. This does not mean every user will get a 2 gig download; only resources licensed will be downloaded.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 9:51 AM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
I will respond to this thread when I know more about the exact timing of the update. 

Hi Folks.

It looks like the update will be today (Tuesday, Sept 24) though there is still a slight chance it will slip to next week. I will confirm the timing once I know it.

Thanks.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 10:54 AM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
It looks like the update will be today (Tuesday, Sept 24) though there is still a slight chance it will slip to next week. I will confirm the timing once I know it.

Yes, the update will commence sometime this afternoon (Tues Sept 24, 2013, PDT), barring some last-minute surprise.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 5565
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:03 AM

Rick Brannan (Logos):

Rick Brannan (Logos):

Yes, the update will commence sometime this afternoon (Tues Sept 24, 2013, PDT), barring some last-minute surprise.

Are you rolling this out incrementally to your userbase over the next few days, or will it hit everyone at once (hope the servers can handle it!)?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:07 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
Are you rolling this out incrementally to your userbase over the next few days, or will it hit everyone at once (hope the servers can handle it!)?

All at once.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 22093
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:18 AM

Hi Rick

Rick Brannan (Logos):

It looks as though there are some other updates happening this afternoon as well - I have just received these

Just hoping to avoid confusion if people see a smaller update (I think is was about 84MB) and think this is what you were referring to

Graham 

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:25 AM

Thanks, Graham.

The folks managing the update may have flushed the resource update queue before they start queuing up the resources. If one has not updated the resources you list here, then (as I understand it) the list will be consolidated/appended as new resource updates become available.

Thanks again for the note.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Page 1 of 4 (64 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS