Purchasing individual books

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 952
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 23 2013 2:38 AM

I'm wondering if someone from Logos can comment on the way book bundles are decided upon? I would like to buy on book from https://www.logos.com/product/32713/zondervan-biblical-languages-collection but I don't have the cash to buy a whole bundle right now. If I did have the money, I would not buy books which are aimed at a previous years study. I understand that a bundle is great for a deal but why not sell the books separately too. Surely this is hurting sales? I will have to go elsewhere to get the book I want...

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 3:00 AM

The publishers like bundles, because it helps them sift books that might not otherwise sell. Most bundles eventually get broken down into individual volumes after a year or so. Bob has previously likened it to the model of films that move from Theatre -> Rental -> Purchase -> TV, and get more accessible (and, you could argue, better value) over time.

So whilst it does no doubt hurt sales of individual books, I guess Logos must think it improves overall revenue.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 5:49 AM
John Goodman:

I'm wondering if someone from Logos can comment on the way book bundles are decided upon? I would like to buy on book from https://www.logos.com/product/32713/zondervan-biblical-languages-collection but I don't have the cash to buy a whole bundle right now. If I did have the money, I would not buy books which are aimed at a previous years study. I understand that a bundle is great for a deal but why not sell the books separately too. Surely this is hurting sales? I will have to go elsewhere to get the book I want...

I've found that when bundles are unbundled so that I can purchase individual volumes the price of an individual volume is not infrequently greater than the cost of the entire bundle (or not much less). This may not be universally true, but it happens often enough to be aware of the fact. When looking at an individual volume, I would recommend looking at the column on the right where you might see "This title is included …" You might find it worth your while to buy the entire collection.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:12 AM

Mark Barnes:
Bob has previously likened it to the model of films that move from Theatre -> Rental -> Purchase -> TV, and get more accessible (and, you could argue, better value) over time.

Do you know where that thread is? (Don't put yourself out looking for it... just wondering. I don't think I have read that before).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 952
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:15 AM

Does that mean that the books will likely be unbundled soon?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 27450
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:28 AM

John Goodman:

I think it would be better for your sanity to think: "These books <might> be unbundled in the <nearish> future."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:29 AM

John Goodman:

The bundle you mention in your OP seems to be one of the most popular "unbundle" requests on the forums.  

I think the honest answer is, we just don't know when it will be unbundled...

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:40 AM

I don't know if this is the book you're looking for, but Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics has been unbundled from the Biblical languages collection. 

https://www.logos.com/product/34167/greek-grammar-beyond-the-basics

Posts 952
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:48 AM

I was interested in the graded hebrew reader but that looks interesting. Is it good? I already have Robertson in logos and some others on my shelf, black, brooks and winbery, duff.

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:55 AM

I have not used Wallace much myself, but I need it for an exegesis project in seminary and have heard that is is good.  

There is quite a bit of noise on the forums to break up the Biblical languages collection. I hope it happens soon.   

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 7:03 AM

alabama24:
Do you know where that thread is? (Don't put yourself out looking for it... just wondering. I don't think I have read that before).

I think I was misremembering this: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58026/413892.aspx#413892 - which is not actually addressing this question, although it's very possible that the same principle applies.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS