alphabetizing Hebrew

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:45 PM

I have a couple of excel spreadsheets with Hebrew in them.  Each file has like 6 columns of data.  The Hebrew word, the plural form, the unit it is found, the part of speech, and the "translation".  Is there a way to sort the vocabulary.  I am able to sort the file by unit or part of speech no problem....how about the Hebrew I would not care about the vowel pointing's.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:53 PM

I am guessing since no response here...this task is not possible.

I am guessing without a Hebrew computer system this kind of sorting is not possible.

I have been running this through my head and am thinking there is a way that I might make something work.  It will be a work around...but it might help.

William

Posts 9697
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 7:54 AM

I don't know a way of doing what you want but I am interested if you discover something that might work.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:36 AM

Bruce

Since no one was able to help....I just thought about the filter tool in Excel.  It only works with no blanks in the file but with a vocab list that will not happen. 

Anyway I added a column to my vocabulary list and I just added an (a) for any word that started with alef, and if there was a bunch of them added an (am) for the second half of the words. 

I have clipped a little file for an example.  open the spreadsheet then click the filter tool and select unit 1 unclick all others.....then only those records with unit 1  will be shown. 

2352.example.xls

Maybe it wont show my file.  just put a filter to show words as they come in the order you want.  Just send a note if you need a bit more info on this method 

Posts 9697
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 4:29 AM

Thanks. I think that I understand your workaround. I see why you would like to do a similar thing in Logos. Hope it works for you.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS