Can reftagger or something similar be used on PDF files?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 10
Carla P | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 31 2013 8:44 PM

Reftagger works beautifully on my website, but I have lots of PDF files (converted from Word) on the site - full of scriptures that I need linked to popup scriptures.  How do I do that?  If it doesn't have the capability, does anyone know how I can do that through some other source?   

Posts 2861
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 11:33 AM

Carla P:

Reftagger works beautifully on my website, but I have lots of PDF files (converted from Word) on the site - full of scriptures that I need linked to popup scriptures.  How do I do that?  If it doesn't have the capability, does anyone know how I can do that through some other source?   

First, welcome to the forums, Carla.

I can't help with a software solution to your problem, but the logical solution would be, if you want to use these docs on your website, to convert them to HTML files instead of using them as PDF files. Then Reftagger should work in them if they are live on your website.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:04 PM

Carla P:
I have lots of PDF files (converted from Word) on the site - full of scriptures that I need linked to popup scriptures.

Are you hoping people will download the PDF's to view offline, or are people viewing the PDF's in a web browser? Are your viewers likely Logos users? If so, have you considered using the PBB tool?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10
Carla P | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 1:00 AM

Yes, alabama24, our users download the files.  I have figured out how to do this...but now I have another question.  I want to change the color scheme of the popup box.  How do I do that?

Posts 10
Carla P | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 1:04 AM

Thanks Doc B!  That helped a lot.  I actually had to do something slightly different, but what you suggested sent me in the right direction.  I am grateful!!!Smile

Posts 2
Daniel Webster | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 1:53 PM

What did you figure out? I would like to do to have pop-up verses in PDFs as well! 

~dw

Posts 10
Carla P | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 2:00 PM

No one has given me an answer for this.  Sorry!  Let me know if you figure something out!!!

Posts 763
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 5:53 PM

Carla P:

I don't think RefTagger can do this. Your HTML files get further processing (using JavaScript), but PDF files are static, so the content is effectively frozen.

You might be able to do something like this:

1. process the Word documents themselves to add hyperlinks to the appropriate Scripture references
  2. convert these to PDFs in a way that preserves the hyperlinks

You might be able to do #1 following these suggestions on the Logos blog. https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags shows another possibility. But i don't know about #2.

Posts 10
Carla P | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 6:55 PM

You are a genius Sean!  Thanks a million!!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS