Computer recommendation for Logos

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 13 2013 6:38 AM

Anyone running Logos 5 on the Dell XPS 12 Convertible? Am considering either purchasing that or a Surface Pro 2 primarily for Logos.

I think the size of the screen and the fact that one can quickly switch from ultrabook to keyboard and mouse pad might be an advantage for the XPS Convertible, given that Logos is not really designed for touch. The XPS is stronger as an ultrabook than a tablet, per reviews. Also the Dell has a fourth generation i7 processor. Both would have 8 GB RAM and at least a 256 GB HD.

The Surface Pro 2's strength would be as a tablet, but it can function with a keyboard and mouse pad also. It's other advantage is weight. It weighs 2 lb without keyboard, while the Dell weighs 3.3 lb with keyboard. Just using the tablet portion of the Surface Pro 2 would be nice for reading, not as nice for deeper study. I am looking for some way to combine both. The Surface Pro 2 would have a fourth generation i5 processor.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience using Logos 5 on either, and your recommendations.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 12:20 PM
I haven't used the XPS Convertible 12 with Logos, but I did get hands on with a demo unit at Best Buy (full disclosure: I am a part-time BB employee). I have owned the Surface since March 2013. Switching the screen from laptop mode to tablet mode on the convertible seemed a little awkward to me. It may improve with use and become 2nd nature. My personal opinion is that kicking in the kickstand and flipping the typecover on the Surface was more natural (after owning an ipad and flipping the magnetic cover behind the iPad). You will have to decide if the extra weight of the Convertible is worth the extra screen real estate. Since I use an external monitor when doing "heavy lifting" with the Surface, the extra screen real estate on the device is not important to me.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 231
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 2:55 PM

Hi David,

I'm looking at getting the Surface Pro 2 and my primary use will be for Logos so I can have full use of it while teaching Bible Study and studying while I am away from my home computer.  What specs would you suggest?

Thanks

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 7:01 PM
I have the 128 SSD with 4 Mb RAM. I use an external Hard Drive and archive most media to the external. I can see where the 256 SSD would be a good idea. The 8 meg RAM may be useful, but I don't believe my 4 has created a major bottleneck.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 231
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 7:05 PM

Thanks.

Posts 5127
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 9:17 PM

Don't know if this will help, but I run L5 (simultaneously with L3) on an XPS1530 that is 5 1/2 years old. It's probably a generation or two before the i5. I added 2GBs of RAM to make 6 and I have no performance issues at all. As I've mentioned before, I keep at least 40-60 windows open in both programs at all times, while also using Word and surfing the internet, which often means I've got 10-20 web pages open too. Smooth sailing. I'm gonna miss this computer when I move on, but I will probably get another XPS. Only problem is that the screen went out, so I have to use an external.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3739
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 11:59 PM

Computer recommendation for Logos

Everytime I see the subject of this thread, I want to post a non-helpful answer, so here goes ...

I would recommend you get a black one or a white one.  I would absolutely avoid getting one of those polka-dotted green ones.

Come to think of it, maybe helpful if anybody gets a laugh.  And if not, I, at least, have been helped, by getting it out of my system.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 7:58 AM

Thanks for all the responses which are helpful to me.  Even the suggestion of not getting the Polka Dot one. Big Smile

A number of Logos users are considering a move to a windows 8 tablet that can run L5, and unsure of what the best options are.  I know that is true for me.  So there is likely to be more such discussions. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 231
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2013 8:26 PM

Thanks Floyd!! Big Smile

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 16 2013 5:45 AM

Floyd Johnson:
I would recommend you get a black one or a white one.  I would absolutely avoid getting one of those polka-dotted green ones.

Floyd, I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Thanks so much! Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS