Running lg4 or parallels?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Richard Porter | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 3:52 PM

I have been running lg 3 on parallels and have purchased lg 4.  After reading some of the problems encountered by some on this site, I think I would like to load the new books I have purchased into lg 3 and then once they are in my library, try to load lg 4 and see what happens.  Has anyone had any problems loading lg4 into parallels?  Is it better to upgrade on line or by disk?  Are there any adjustments to Parallels that have to be made to run lg 4?  Thanks

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 4:59 PM

Hi Richard

I run Logos 4 in Parallels 5, using Windows 7 with no problems at all. I did it online, and would have preferred to do it via a disk (I live in Australia, and the bandwidth here is expensive and slower than in North America). I use the standard settings for Parallels, but I do turn the Windows 7 Aero enhancements off.

As a general guide, you might find this post on the Parallels site useful. It gives some 'power user' tips for configuring Parallels 5.

Hope that helps.

Colin

Posts 11
Richard Porter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:44 PM

Thanks Colin.  I have windows XP, so I don't know if I will have to upgrade to Windows 7

Posts 6
John Moyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:34 PM

Colin, hi. I just recently purchased Logos 4 and Parallels 5 and things are working wonderfully offline. However, when I attempt go online from Logos 4 in Parallels 5 the Windows 7 OS doesn't see any hardware to facilitate a connection. Yes, obviously (haha), I can connect online from the OS X. Any solutions to this inconsistency? 

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:53 PM

John Moyer:
Colin, hi. I just recently purchased Logos 4 and Parallels 5 and things are working wonderfully offline. However, when I attempt go online from Logos 4 in Parallels 5 the Windows 7 OS doesn't see any hardware to facilitate a connection. Yes, obviously (haha), I can connect online from the OS X. Any solutions to this inconsistency? 

I don't run Parallels 5 (I've got Fusion 3), but from what I have read on these forums, one of the things you have to do with Parallels 5 is get the internet connection going in it.  Jack, who is often on these forums, uses Parallels. He might be able to help you.  I don't think it is a difficult thing to do, so you should be able to sort this easily.

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:54 PM

RichardPorter:
Thanks Colin.  I have windows XP, so I don't know if I will have to upgrade to Windows 7

I am running Logos 4 Windows on Windows XP Pro and it works fine. There are others who are doing it as well, so you shouldn't have to upgrade to Windows 7 unless you really want to for other reasons.

Posts 11
Richard Porter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 3:04 AM

Thanks Donovan for the assurance.  I will give it a try.

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 4:26 AM

RichardPorter:

Richard

I am running L4 on Parallels 5 and XP Pro. I am getting very good performance with this configuration. I don't know that Windows 7 would make that much difference with Logos. But then, I have never used Win 7.

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 4:29 AM

John Moyer:

John

With Parallels 5, when you configure the VM, go to the Hardware tab and select "Network Adapter". The "Type" drop down menu will give you several choice for the type of connection. "Built-in Ethernet 2" worked for me. I had to try several different selections before I hit this one. Everything now works very well. If all this is not clear, just let me know, and I will provide some more details. Id not not find the Parallels 5 manual to be very helpful in this area.

Welcome to the Forum and to Logos 4.

Posts 6
John Moyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:56 PM

Much thanks... I'll give it a go see what sticks.

Posts 6
John Moyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:19 PM

Took all of 5 min. Thanks a bunch and PRAISE THE LORD!  LOL. Thanks to Rich, Colin, and Jack. God bless and Merry Christmas!

Posts 44
Johnny Sewell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:03 PM

Merry Christmas Donovan (and everyone),

I am using XP in Parallels also, but on my MacBook Pro I only have 3GB of ram.  I am allocating 1GB to the VM in the configuration page.  And things run s l o w l y.  I was wondering how much ram you have given to XP?

Thanks,

Johnny

Johnny

MacBook Pro | iMac | OS X Mountain Lion | iPad | iPhone 4s |Logos Bible Software 5.0a SR-4 (5.0.1.0291) Gold |

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 11:48 PM

Johnny Sewell:
I am using XP in Parallels also, but on my MacBook Pro I only have 3GB of ram.  I am allocating 1GB to the VM in the configuration page.  And things run s l o w l y.  I was wondering how much ram you have given to XP?

I would definitely try 1.5 GB.  I have 2gb of my total of 4gb allocated on Fusion and it seems to work pretty well.

Posts 91
Rick Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 3:24 PM

Jack, are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of win 7? 

WHat are your settings? I was told to give no more then 2 gb of ram to it, or it will slow down. (My machine has 8 gb of RAM.)

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 6:05 PM

Rick Smith:
Jack, are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of win 7? 

As I said in the post to which you replied, I have never used Win 7. I am using XP Pro Sp 3.

Rick Smith:
WHat are your settings? I was told to give no more then 2 gb of ram to it, or it will slow down. (My machine has 8 gb of RAM.)

I have been giving Parallels 5 4GB of RAM, but I just read a post in another forum that the Parallels support team reports that VMs slow down if given over 2GB. 

I just tried reducing the RAM setting, and they may be right. It does seem faster. See the link in my signature for some good information of using Parallels 5 by John Fidel

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS