Answering Jewish Objections is missing a volume

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 13 2013 11:10 PM

It seems very strange to me that Answering Jewish Objections by Dr. Michael Brown is incomplete.  There are only four volumes available through Logos, but it is a 5 volume set; Logos is missing the 5th Volume which is such an important book.

It is such a great shame that this book has been left out of the series. It is like buying an encyclopaedia only to find that X-Z is missing or owning the EBC without Hebrews-Revelation.  Please please please would you complete this set and make Volume 5 available through Logos?

Many thanks!

Michael

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 11:23 PM

I see that Volume 5 (Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Traditional Jewish Objections) was not published in the print edition until 2010. I don't know when the 4-volume set was first offered in Logos as a pre-pub, but I know I didn't buy it until April 2011, so it had probably already been around in Logos for a while at that time. Which means they probably first acquired the rights to produce it digitally before the 5th volume was available. That would be why they only did the first four volumes at that time.

Mind you, that's only an explanation for the status quo, not a vote for keeping the status quo!

I agree that it would be great to have the fifth volume available in Logos too. So, Logos, could you see about acquiring the rights to that fifth volume at your earliest convenience. Thanks!

Yes

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2013 5:30 AM

It's been asked for since [at least] February 2011: Suggestion: Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, Volume 5.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2013 6:04 AM

fgh:

It's been asked for since [at least] February 2011: Suggestion: Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, Volume 5.

Wow!!  That is a surprise to me; not that the book has been asked for, but that Logos have said nothing since 2011 about making it available.

I purchased volumes 1-4 in October 2010 and I understand that maybe Volume 5 was not published when the set was originally offered, but nevertheless, this is worrying for me.  I have just purchased volumes 1 & 2 of a four volume set on Acts - how can I be sure that volumes 3 & 4 will be made available through Logos when they are published?

Would someone at Logos please do us the courtesy of replying?

Many thanks,

Michael

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2013 5:25 PM

I think this has been pointed out before: Vol 5 has another publisher: Pomegranate Productions whereas the other books were published by Baker

I suppose this is the reason

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 7:51 AM

Perhaps if I get in touch with them, they will tell me what the situation is? Why has Logos not answered any of these people?

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:06 AM

Because they virtually never answer questions about suggested books.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:45 AM

That may well be for the odd book here and there, but when the book is part of a series that is already available through Logos, it should be a done deal. It is like buying a book only to find that the last chapter has been ripped out!!

I have already sent the publisher a message and I will also get in touch with Dr. Brown, but if Logos can't be bothered, what it the point?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:54 AM

Michael Fordham:
...if Logos can't be bothered, what it the point?

You and I have no idea what Logos is doing behind the scenes to get this resource for us. To do that they need to have an agreement with the publisher and the copyright holder. These negotiations can be difficult. Disclosing any details during a period of negotiation, even the fact that they are negotiating, can complicate matters.

Given the fact that the series was published in its entirety (that is, with every volume available at the time) when Logos first published it, and the series has since been updated, but with a different publisher, I think it's appropriate to encourage Logos to get the volume. It's not appropriate to assume a lack of response in these forums is any indication of their lack of effort to do so.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 9:28 AM

Perhaps you have a point... I readily confess that I don't know anything about negotiating with publishers, but find it hard to believe that giving some assurance that they are doing their utmost to make the book available would make things difficult. Surely we are all on the same side and want these books to be available?

At the time the series was made available on Logos, I believe it was already known that there would be a 5th volume because it had been spoken about for some time before it was published in 2010. I bought the paperback at that time but having it on Logos with links to the references is invaluable to me. I no longer have the paperback because I lent it to someone and it was never returned, sadly.

I do hope and pray that Logos are pursuing this book... it is already 3 years since it was published. It is not available on Kindle either, which I have also requested.

Blessings,

Michael

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:08 AM

fgh:

Because they virtually never answer questions about suggested books.

And on one level, I can understand why. It takes expensive personnel resources to handle these sorts of concerns, and these sorts of concerns have a tendency to quite resemble Whack-A-Mole. Also, there is the concern about feeding the monster (yes, I am speaking of you and me), which of course simply causes the monster to grow ever larger with concordantly ever increasing demands (WHY can't I get Logos 5 to serve me breakfast in bed!?!?!). But this is simply one of those nasty little facts of life where tapping the nail flush on one side just causes it to stick out on the other. The problem with refusing to play Whack-A-Mole is that before long you find yourself playing Whack-A-Rhino, which can soon enough become Whack-A-Dino. Most of the Logos-related brouhahas I have seen turn into conflagrations could have been nipped in the bud if someone had been standing around with a hammer waiting for that head to pop out. Still, in all, I consider Logos's customer responsiveness to be not just exceptional, but probably the most responsive I have ever personally encountered. Only a true Scrooge could claim otherwise. But...I do think they could improve their generally sterling performance if they simply had (at least) a one-man fire brigade with a garden hose to put out the odd customer-ignited match that runs amok. He or she could be the official Logos Mole Whacker and Match Dowser.

I know how to turn on a faucet and I've used a hammer before, so I nominate me. Smile

(I'm really trying to figure out a way to get on the Logos ping pong team. Stick out tongue  Plus, employee discounts! Whoot!! Big Smile )

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:33 AM

David Paul:

WHY can't I get Logos 5 to serve me breakfast in bed!?!?!

Hi David,

I'm not asking for anything more than a final book to complete an incomplete series and will gladly make my own breakfast in bed once it is available. Meanwhile, it seems that people have been asking about this for at least 2 years and I am only asking to know the status, e.g. "Sorry, but the publisher won't make it available" or just "We acknowledge your suggestion, it is in process and we will update you once we have more news".  I have no problem with Logos Customer Service which I also think is excellent!

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:52 AM

Michael Fordham:

David Paul:

WHY can't I get Logos 5 to serve me breakfast in bed!?!?!

...and will gladly make my own breakfast in bed once it is available.

Just be careful not to set your bed on fire! Surprise

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 11:16 AM

Wink

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 12:47 AM

Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, vol. 5 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5903
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 1:53 AM

Michael Fordham:
Meanwhile, it seems that people have been asking about this for at least 2 years and I am only asking to know the status

Understand your wanting to know, I'd like to know too but Logos don't provide these sort of updates and I respect it is not practical for many reasons for them to do so both from a business to business negotiation perspective and for logistical reasons. For every one of my suggestions I'd like them to acknowledge and provide an update there are thousands of other people with multiple requests also wanting the same sort of updates.  It would take a team of people to do this and very easy for misinformation to be given out somewhere along the way.

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 4:58 AM

fgh:

Halleluyah!!! I am very happy about this!! Big Smile

Posts 1691
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 6:13 AM

Yes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 125
Michael Fordham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 11:54 PM

May I encourage people to order Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, vol. 5 which is now available in Pre Pub; the whole set is a very valuable resource for anyone involved in Jewish apologetics and in fact also for anyone who isn't!

Blessings,

Michael

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 6:29 PM

Michael Fordham:

May I encourage people to order Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, vol. 5 which is now available in Pre Pub; the whole set is a very valuable resource for anyone involved in Jewish apologetics and in fact also for anyone who isn't!

Blessings,

Michael

Yes

Please help this last volume of the set to be published.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS