Personal books from pdf?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 19 2013 1:30 AM

Is logos planning to make it possible to create personal books from pdfs and not just Word documents?

Posts 27027
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2013 1:34 AM

Not that they've mentioned.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18758
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2013 1:38 AM

Philip E. Sumpter:
Is logos planning to make it possible to create personal books from pdfs and not just Word documents?

It's not likely, given the special tagging that is required in the input document for a Personal Book compiler. PDFs are almost by definition for reading and printing, not for editing. So it would be impossible to do the markup directly in the PDF file that you'd need to make a Personal Book fully useful. Granted, if it were just the vanilla text you cared about, theoretically you might want Logos to be able to read that in directly from a PDF and figure out the heading stuff itself. However that's a relatively difficult problem to code up, and others have done it already very well in their own proprietary ways. Logos is not likely to want to reinvent the wheel.

In addition to several high-end pieces of software which you probably don't own and wouldn't want to buy, Microsoft Word (which you might already have on your computer anyway) can now open PDF files directly and convert them to .docx format pretty seamlessly (I think this is as of version 2010, but definitely 2013). Does that give you what you'd like?

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2013 3:48 AM

Thank you, both of you. I'll have a look at the third party programmes and see what they can offer me.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2013 6:02 AM

the best PDF to Word converter that I found was BCL easy converter

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS