CRASH: 5.2a Beta 1 Entry into Library Selection field

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 19 2013 3:35 AM

Clicked on a tag in the Info window. Library selection field became my tag:ToRead—Nice. Deleted tag for one resource. Oops, meant to change to Read. Typed title: in Library Selection Field, with tag field still selected in the Info window. Crash

Are these useful? 5611.Apple Crash Report.rtf

6567.LogosLogs.jackcav.20131219-063518.zip

Sent automatic crash report upon restart—but forgot to describe the crash Embarrassed

Restart. Changed the tag that I was attempting to change in previous crash. Then attempted to change the rating from 5 to 1. While trying to find a way to accomplish this, the suggested tags popped up, and Logos crashed again.

2451.LogosLogs.jackcav.20131219-063857.zip

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2013 3:52 AM

Replying to my own post, because not sure that this crash is the same. After changing the rating and tag in the previously mentioned resource, completed another operation of two in the Library window and clicked into an open resource. Logos went away again. This is much more fun than a sharp stick in the eye Geeked

6180.LogosLogs.jackcav.20131219-064814.zip

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2013 8:14 AM

Thanks Jack for reporting. I'll take a look at this.

Tom

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 25653
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 6:33 PM

Jack Caviness:
Clicked on a tag in the Info window. Library selection field became my tag:ToRead—Nice.

That's nice for Mac users, but it is obvious that the new functionality for Tags is not settled, so I won't get too excitedSmile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 4:38 AM

Tom Philpot (Logos):

Thanks Jack for reporting. I'll take a look at this.

Thanks, Tom. Do you have an answer for my previous question? Are Apple Crash Reports useful to Logos? They are not difficult to collect and post, but if you do not get anything useful from them, I won't clutter bug reports with them.

Posts 25653
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 2:58 PM

Jack Caviness:
Are Apple Crash Reports useful to Logos?

They may be useful if the Logos app does not create any crash logs e.g. if Logos crashes without creating a crash log, the Windows Event log will identify the faulting module.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 7:03 PM

Dave Hooton:
They may be useful if the Logos app does not create any crash logs e.g. if Logos crashes without creating a crash log

The opportunity to save the Apple Crash Log is prior to learning whether or not Logos created a crash log. It's a small thing to include it in the bug report, so I will continue to do so when the OS generates one.

Dave Hooton:
the Windows Event log

Remember, Dave, Mac user here Wink

Posts 25653
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 3:54 AM

Jack Caviness:

Dave Hooton:
the Windows Event log

Remember, Dave, Mac user here Wink

That was included to illustrate the usefulness of the Windows Event Log when there is no crash log (in Windows). I'm not certain the Apple Crash Log is that useful.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 4:28 AM

Dave Hooton:
I'm not certain the Apple Crash Log is that useful.

Hence the reason for my question to Tom.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 7:57 AM

Jack,

I haven't been ignoring you. I've been on the road to Texas to visit family for Christmas the last two days.

In this case I was able to narrow down your crash reported by the Logos Mac crash reporter dialog, which does include the Apple crash report if it's available. Because the crash was in the Mac native code (not in the shared Windows/Mac code), the Apple log was helpful this time. But in general, more information is aways better. So if you're willing to add the Apple crash report when you post logs here, we appreciate it.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 12:36 PM

Tom Philpot (Logos):
I haven't been ignoring you. I've been on the road to Texas to visit family for Christmas the last two days.

Didn't really think you were. Have fun in Texas.

Tom Philpot (Logos):
So if you're willing to add the Apple crash report when you post logs here, we appreciate it.

Will do.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 3:12 PM

Jack Caviness:
The opportunity to save the Apple Crash Log is prior to learning whether or not Logos created a crash log.

I'll check next time I have a crash, but I believe it's sending the log that's prior. Saving it, I believe happens automatically.

Tom Philpot (Logos):
in general, more information is aways better. So if you're willing to add the Apple crash report when you post logs here, we appreciate it.

Thanks for giving a clear answer to that. I've wondered as well. When you say "add ... when you post logs here", do you mean you want it posted here, or just that you want us to click the 'send' button? I do the latter, but I've only done the former when Logos hasn't produced any crash log of its own.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 4:51 PM

are we speaking of the same automatic crash report? My question related to the one created by the Mac OS, not the one that Logos requests upon restart.

fgh:

Jack Caviness:
The opportunity to save the Apple Crash Log is prior to learning whether or not Logos created a crash log.

I'll check next time I have a crash, but I believe it's sending the log that's prior. Saving it, I believe happens automatically.

If the OS saves the Apple Crash log, I am not aware of it. I usually select all and copy it to a Text Edit file and save it that way.

fgh:
do you mean you want it posted here, or just that you want us to click the 'send' button?

Believe Tom mean post it on the forum. Clicking Send sends the report to Apple, not Logos.

Posts 68
Tom Philpot | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 6:23 AM

Jack Caviness:
If the OS saves the Apple Crash log, I am not aware of it. I usually select all and copy it to a Text Edit file and save it that way.

You can see them in Console (see screenshot).

If you post it in the forum, and QA creates a case for Development, having the Apple Crash log might be helpful.

Posts 68
Tom Philpot | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 6:34 AM

Jack,

Also, the crash should be fixed in the next beta.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 6:34 AM

Jack Caviness:
If the OS saves the Apple Crash log, I am not aware of it.

Go to your user account and look in Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (at least that's where they are in 10.6).

(For once it's not just Logos and AppleWorks in there.Big Smile)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 10:48 AM

Tom Philpot:

Jack Caviness:

You can see them in Console (see screenshot).

Is this the same crash report that appears with the send to Apple dialog?

fgh:

Go to your user account and look in Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (at least that's where they are in 10.6).

Thanks for the educational post.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 12:43 PM

Jack Caviness:
Clicked on a tag in the Info window. Library selection field became my tag:ToRead—Nice.

Could you expand? Because the way I understand you, it doesn't sound nice at all.

[/quote user="ugh"]

Glad you changed that.Big Smile

Tom Philpot:
If you post it in the forum, and QA creates a case for Development, having the Apple Crash log might be helpful.

Good to know. That said, I spend such an incredible amount of time on bug reports as it is, so I'm not sure I'm willing to do that extra step on a regular basis, when it only might be helpful for certain kinds of crashes.

However, feel free to come back and ask for it when it would be helpful. Apple saves their logs longer than Logos does.

Or you could tweak the Logging Utility to get it automatically.

Btw, it's nice to have you back on the Mac team. You were on Proclaim for quite a while, weren't you? And Merry Christmas!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 1:39 PM

fgh:

[/quote user="ugh"]

Glad you changed that.Big Smile

I like spell checkers, but detest those which insist on correcting my spelling even when it is what I intended to type. Apple apparently does not believe that fgh is a real word Big Smile

fgh:

Jack Caviness:

Could you expand? Because the way I understand you, it doesn't sound nice at all.

Here is the original configuration

If I click the Edit link, I get this

Rabbit Trail—Unfortunately,  If there is a simple typo, I cannot just edit the tag. I must delete it and type a new one. Hope they change this.

In the first screenshot, if I click the tag (Expository in this case) that becomes the library selection criteria

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Seemed nice to me, but YMMV Geeked

Hope this all makes some semblance of sense.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 2:31 PM

Jack Caviness:
I like spell checkers, but detest those which insist on correcting my spelling even when it is what I intended to type.

And I who thought it was a Freudian slip that revealed what you really thought about me.Stick out tongue

Jack Caviness:
In the first screenshot, if I click the tag (Expository in this case) that becomes the library selection criteria

That's what I suspected you meant.

If I'm tagging, I don't want the books that remain to be tagged to suddenly disappear from view!

But I guess it has its uses -- once I've programmed myself to click Edit, and not the tag name like I do now.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS