Suggestion to make user-defined Syntax Search more flexible

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 24 2013 10:08 AM

I was looking at the thread http://community.logos.com/forums/t/22721.aspx and found the attached search...It would be great if we had the capability to place a "holder" into this search for a word (like θεος) that would make it more generic and more easily modifiable in case one was looking for a different noun...

In other words, perhaps a pointer box where the user could "alias" a noun as "NOUN1" (or something) and set NOUN1=θεος in only one place rather than in multiples...then if you wanted to change the noun, you could change it in one place rather than three.

Programatically, this should be an easy to implement, and would enhance the flexibility of the Syntax Search.

If it's already a capability I'm somehow missing, I'd love if someone could point out my oversight!

Mike

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 10:39 AM

Hi Mike, welcome. I may not understand completely what you are asking, but I think I do what you are asking ll the time. You can easily change a lemma within a saved syntax search, see this picture; you just save it with a name that you'll remember what it is when you go into Documents/Syntax search, click on the box that shows the lemma name, and as the arrow points out, you can then type or paste anew lemma in and regenerate a new search. Is this what you mean?

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:04 PM

Don - thanks for responding!

In your example υιος only shows up in one of the boxes.  In the picture I attached (didn't see how to put it into the main body) the word appears in three different boxes.  To change the word in my example, I'd have to change it in three different places instead of one.

For your example, I completely agree - but I think if "Lemma" could be set to some sort of holder and then the Lemma in each individual term could point to that holder, a change could be made one time instead of three.

Does this clear up what I'm suggesting?  Do you know of a way to do this?

Mike

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 25 2013 5:10 AM

I see your point, you would have to modify in all three places.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 25 2013 6:57 AM

Mike Hogue:
To change the word in my example, I'd have to change it in three different places instead of one.

Agreement may be able to reduce number of changes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2013 8:41 AM

For some reason when I tried this by taking the first "phrase 1" and making the lemma disagree with "phrase 2" in my pic (how do I insert a screen shot?) , it returned zero results instead of 360...not sure why, but it didn't seem to work.

Help?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2013 6:55 PM

Mike Hogue:

how do I insert a screen shot?

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Using_the_Forum#Adding_a_picture_to_a_Post with screen shots showing use of paper clip to insert a JPG or PNG file.

Mike Hogue:
For some reason when I tried this by taking the first "phrase 1" and making the lemma disagree with "phrase 2" in my pic , it returned zero results instead of 360...not sure why, but it didn't seem to work.

Replicated zero results so posted Logos Desktop Beta thread => Bug: 5.2a Beta 1 Syntax Search - Agreement Rule has disagreeable results

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS