Jonathan Edwards' Second Favorite Book in The World!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 3 2014 8:15 AM

Peter Van Mastricht wrote a systematic Theology called "Theoretica-Practica Theologia" that Jonathan Edwards refers to in a letter to a friend, as the second best book in the world: 

"This book is much better than any other book in the world, excepting the Bible, in my opinion." (See the full letter here)

In light of this it's strange that this book is so rarely heard of. I did some reading on this, and found that the reason it's so unfamiliar to most people is because it was never translated into English (save one chapter). The book exists in the Dutch language and also in Latin (I found that there is a translation project going on here). This would be a great and worthy translation project for Logos!

Would anyone else be interested in getting this great old puritan systematic theology in English? Please post a reply if you'd be interested in this great work!

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 7:00 PM

Very interesting. Will definitely look into this.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 7:45 AM

Awesome! Thanks Christian!

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 8:02 AM

Liam Walsh:

Would anyone else be interested in getting this great old puritan systematic theology in English? Please post a reply if you'd be interested in this great work!

Oh, yes! Big Smile

Posts 3897
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 10:51 AM

Yep :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio.

Posts 94
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 3:44 AM

I'm in!

Posts 16
Luke Ture | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2014 9:52 AM

Yes!

Posts 1021
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2014 11:09 AM

I'd love to have this in Logos. Thanks for pointing it out, Liam.

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2014 5:34 PM

Yeah, as Liam said, this translation is already underway. So, the best think to do is probably to wait for that to be finished and then license it to create a Logos resource.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2014 6:18 PM

Christian Locatell:

Yeah, as Liam said, this translation is already underway. So, the best think to do is probably to wait for that to be finished and then license it to create a Logos resource.

Thanks for checking up on this Christian! I found some more info on the translation project here. It seems Joel Beeke is helping in the project. It would be nice if we knew a projected completion date of some kind! Does anyone else have any info on this?

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2014 6:49 PM

This Jan 2009 post says that it could be 3-5 years away. So, hopefully really soon.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 7:24 PM

Wow! Weeks away from the five year mark! Perfect timing!
It looks like just the first volume will be ready... So it sounds like it'll be a ten year wait for the entire thing. Woah!

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 8:36 PM

I found these 2 works of Van Mastricht's on Amazon. A Treatise on Regeneration is the chapter (referred to above) in his systematic theology that has been translated into English. The Best Method of Preaching appears to be a work in it's own right that was recently translated. Both would be great to get in Logos on their own as well! 

While we're on the topic of Edwards' thinking on systematic theology, I happened to spot this! It's praised by some of the best Edwards Scholars including George Marsden! Also would be great in Logos format! ......

Any chance?

.. and it's published by Oxford University Press who already does business with Logos!

Posts 566
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 8:24 AM

Vol 1 has just been published by Reformation Heritage Books

Posts 2614
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 9:24 AM

Liam:
While we're on the topic of Edwards' thinking on systematic theology, I happened to spot this! It's praised by some of the best Edwards Scholars including George Marsden! Also would be great in Logos format! ......

Excellent. https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Jonathan-Edwards-Michael-McClymond/dp/0199791600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532794824&sr=8-1&keywords=Theology-Jonathan-Edwards-Michael-McClymond

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 8:13 AM
Ted Hans:

Liam:

Excellent. https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Jonathan-Edwards-Michael-McClymond/dp/0199791600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532794824&sr=8-1&keywords=Theology-Jonathan-Edwards-Michael-McClymond

Haven't had the chance to get to this one yet, but excited to eventually dive in!

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 8:23 AM

Not sure what ever happened to the Theoretica-Practica Theologia translation project. It appears that the site is now locked down from those who aren't members of the society. It's way beyond the due date though that's for sure. That is, if it's even still being pursued.

Posts 206
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 8:42 PM

Liam:

Not sure what ever happened to the Theoretica-Practica Theologia translation project. It appears that the site is now locked down from those who aren't members of the society. It's way beyond the due date though that's for sure. That is, if it's even still being pursued.

Reformation Heritage has got it!

https://www.heritagebooks.org/products/theoretical-practical-theology-volume-1-prolegomena-van-mastricht.html

Blessings,

Kevin 

Posts 1093
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 6:04 AM

Wow! Excellent Kevin! Thank you! Any one know how many volumes are planned In this?

Posts 566
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 7:41 AM

Back in 2009 they were thinking 4

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS