Sometimes Logos makes me sad...

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 11:35 PM

Whilst I agree with the others that I shouldn't need to call in to get good pricing, my experience has been pretty positive. The last items I purchased in this manner got me discounts of 47% (on $75), 24% (on $800) and 27% (on $300). The only time I've failed to get discounts is when they're already on sale and already discounted. The 47% discount was just a few days ago.

That said, it seems to me that the publisher sets a minimum and maximum price. I've noticed that I'm more likely to get good discounts on some publishers than others.

Finally, as I'm outside the US, I've never phoned to get a price. I've always emailed, and I don't think that's affected my negotiating position.

Posts 8974
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 4:34 AM

Mark Barnes:
I've always emailed, and I don't think that's affected my negotiating position.

I can imagine that is true.

The conclusion of this is that, even if we don't want to, we should always phone or email before we purchase a product if we want to get the best price on items that are not currently on sale. That's just the way it is.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1838
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 4:52 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I can imagine that is true.

The conclusion of this is that, even if we don't want to, we should always phone or email before we purchase a product if we want to get the best price on items that are not currently on sale. That's just the way it is.

not unless you have academic discount. It always have the lowest price (though it still a wee high & unaffordable for students) :)

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 7:05 AM

Cadallac, James, Cadallac.   Within days of L4's introduction I had compared it to the Jag you leave in the garage when you go for groceries.  

But Logos self-identified as a Cadallac and continues to do so.  I suppose in England Rolls parts are not an issue. But we see Rolls on the large wrecker trucks going down to Phoenix ... can't go very far without the right parts.

I don't think Cadallac salemen 'deal' a lot.  Certainly not like the VW guys.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 7:53 AM

Mark Barnes:
That said, it seems to me that the publisher sets a minimum and maximum price.

Seems true when you look at the ebook market in general, but it's pretty much 100% the inverse when it comes to Logos.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 7:57 AM

Denise:
I don't think Cadallac salemen 'deal' a lot.  Certainly not like the VW guys.

That's an interesting point that I never thought of Denise. Logos is often compared to the car dealer where most of the time the buyer comes in, opens their wallet, and says "Take what you want"...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 8:50 AM

mike:
not unless you have academic discount. It always have the lowest price (though it still a wee high & unaffordable for students) :)

Remember that not all products qualify for academic pricing (though almost all do). (Very) occasionally you might find a salesman willing to discount these products for you. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 9:26 AM

mike:
not unless you have academic discount. It always have the lowest price

I would generally agree with you but just yesterday I got a phone call from an ambitious young man in sales who offered me a deal lower than the academic price. It was on the Baker Exegetical Commentary. He beat it by $8.

I did not bite.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 9:31 AM

I wouldn't either. That series is too conservative and not critical enough:

Super.Tramp:
It was on the Baker Exegetical Commentary. He beat it by $8.

I did not bite.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS