Comparing Resources folders on two computers

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:34 PM

On a lark I used a file compare utility to compare the Resources folders on the Logos 4 installations on my laptop and desktop. On both systems I did an Update Resources, synchronized, and did a Scan of my Logos 3 resources folder from my laptop (my only Logos 3 location now) first. So they *should* be identical?

Here is what I found -- out of about 4100 files, I have 24 files that on my laptop are .lbxlls, and on my desktop are .logos4 extensions.

The laptop version 4 was created by installing it, and I assume it scanned my Logos 3 resource folder to create. It has the .lbxlls versions.

The desktop version was created by using the installer, then synchronizing. I did a scan of the Logos 3 laptop resources folder through the network, but no way to tell what it found since it may have gotten everything through the server sync.  It has all .logos4 extensions.

So it's like the laptop ver 4 saw a licensed lbxlls file, and used it. When the desktop version was installed, the server said this book was licensed, and sent it a logos4-extension version. It never sent the logos4-extension version to the laptop on syncs because it already had the resource, even though it's old version 3 format. I wonder if that's a bug...

I would think I want these files to use logos4 versions? I can easily replace the lbxlls's with logos4's and rebuild index, do you think I should? ANy theories or explanations of what's going on?

Merry Christmas!

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:45 PM

Some time ago I read of someone having a similar result after rescanning their Logos3 directory - ie it replaced some newer .Logos4 books with books it found there. That would be a bug if it's still happening, but basically you should never have to scan your Logos3 directory once L4 is up and running...

Try doing update resources again on the laptop and see if it fixes it...

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 5:16 PM

Jon Rumble:

Try doing update resources again on the laptop and see if it fixes it...

I just did another Update Resources on my laptop, and a Sync, and it still has about 24 .lbxlls files when logos4 extension files exist on the other system. It is not updating with the logos4 versions.

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 7:37 PM

I had this problem also. Or I think I still have it because I haven't been able to double check it after I had my old lbx files replaced with the new ones.

The thing was this: I have logos 4 installed and updated. On a friend's notebook I saw that he had a couple of logos4 format resources that I also have but in the old lbx format.

Now, no matter if I did update now or update resources, it never downloaded the newer version logos4 format resources into my system and replacing the old lbx ones.

I did get them into my system after I copied those new resources over into an external hd and then did a scan on it. I still have no idea why it never wanted to download them from the logos servers or why it never saw that I had the old lbx files while there were newer logos4 versions available.

So you can say I sort of bypassed this problem for now, but It's probably not fixed yet. As I said I can't double check right now, because I don't know if there are other available logos4 versions of my old lbx files. I only stumbled on this "bug" because I physically saw a few of these newer files on my friend's notebook.

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 9:21 PM

Dominick Sela:
I just did another Update Resources on my laptop, and a Sync, and it still has about 24 .lbxlls files when logos4 extension files exist on the other system. It is not updating with the logos4 versions.

The Sync command is not for resources just your user documents like notes, clippings, collections, etc. Update Now or, as a last resort, Update Resources should work for this situation unless there is a problem (still) with the L4 server. As a workaround try the scan command in L4:

scan <desktop resource folder>

and restart L4. The <desktop resource folder> could be a removable drive with just the missing logos4 resources.

If that does not work, please let me know but delete (to the recycle bin) the 24 *.lbxlls files in the laptop and try again!

Note: The standard resources path is:-

XP -> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\{random}\ResourceManager\Resources

Vista/Win7 -> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\{random}\ResourceManager\Resources

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 5:56 AM

Thanks for your help Dave, this is really weird - wait till you read this! Here is what I did (remember laptop has the 24 lbxlls-extension files, desktop has logos4 extension files):

1. Last night, overnight, I rebuilt the index on the laptop just to make sure everything was good. It was done when I woke up this morning.

2. I tried your first suggesziton - I created a drive map to the resources folder on the desktop, and did a scan of it. Scan worked fine, but the lbxlls-extension files were still on the laptop.

3. So then, I used my file compare utility, saved the 24 lbxlls-extension files to a folder, aznd deleted them. I then copied the 24 logos4-extension files to their own folder, and did a Scan on them. That worked, as I could watch the progress messages in the System tray saying how new resources were being copied in.

4. Copying finishes, so then I run my file compare utility to see how the two resources folders look - the lbxlls-extension files are back!!!!!

Is that weird or what?  I'll wait to hear what you think, but now I am thinking about deleting the lbxlls files again, COPYING in the logos4 files, delete the index database, and then run Logos4 - forcing a very clean reindex of everything. What do you think? I have backup Geeked

It does make one think there may be other resources on both computers in lbxlls format that should be in logos4 format but are not...

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 5:58 AM

Oh I almost forgot - in case it matters or is a clue, here are the 24 files:

10/29/2009  01:42 PM        39,202,027 APLGSTDYBBL.logos4
10/29/2009  01:43 PM           775,784 APOCNTHONE.logos4
10/29/2009  01:43 PM         1,247,915 APOCNTJAMES.logos4
10/29/2009  01:43 PM         1,425,320 ARMPPRY5TH.logos4
10/29/2009  02:02 PM         3,465,198 BRENTONLXXEN.logos4
10/29/2009  02:06 PM        10,283,444 COLLINSTHESBBL.logos4
10/29/2009  02:37 PM         1,843,304 FRESHSERMS.logos4
10/29/2009  02:37 PM           471,753 FRESHSTDEV.logos4
10/29/2009  02:38 PM         5,493,343 GGNTLHR.logos4
10/29/2009  02:38 PM         5,832,275 GNB.logos4
10/29/2009  02:51 PM           554,408 HWRTNARSRM.logos4
10/31/2009  07:14 PM         2,425,189 INTBIBINT.logos4
10/27/2009  12:15 AM        21,214,239 KJV1900.logos4
10/29/2009  03:03 PM         1,151,320 LEB.logos4
10/29/2009  03:04 PM         5,608,451 LOGOSWH.logos4
12/03/2009  05:44 PM           215,729 OTGRKSWETEALT.logos4
10/29/2009  03:13 PM           124,657 OTGRKSWETEAPP.logos4
10/29/2009  03:13 PM           216,113 OTGRKSWETETXT.logos4
10/29/2009  03:13 PM           484,517 PHILORYLE.logos4
10/29/2009  03:13 PM           244,590 PHILORYLEAPP.logos4
10/29/2009  03:20 PM           369,189 SUMMBBLNT.logos4
10/29/2009  03:20 PM           889,701 SUMMBBLOT.logos4
10/29/2009  03:22 PM         5,874,920 TISCHCAPP3.logos4
10/27/2009  12:20 AM         3,259,167 TISCHNT.logos4

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 7:17 AM

How does logos4 or the logos servers know when it should download or send updates? It probably doesn't work all the time.

I also have those files that Dominick listed but on my computer some of them have older and some of them have newer dates. I really think the guys at Logos should look into this because they already stated that to minimize the problems they had in the past, that they now want everybody to have the same versions of their resources but it's not working quite right.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 11:43 AM

OK my experiment worked, I:

(1) made sure everything was sync'd

(2) deleted the xblls-extension resources on my laptop

(3) copied over the logos4 extensions on the laptop

(4) deleted the index database and reindexed

Now all sync up, at least for now - read on.

I think at least one problem is this - updates on the ftp server do not always match the server Logos uses to synchronize. Doing some experimentation with downloading from the ftp server, sync'ing vs. scanning a Logos 3 directory, I have seen this to be true. A file updated to Logos 3 from the ftp server, which gets into one Logos 4 directory via Scan, then gets to the other Logos 4 folder via Update resources, and the two are not the same!

This really needs to get cleaned up. There will be multiple versions and it will be hard to tell what's current and what is not - and the latest don't sync up always.

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:45 PM

But how do I fix the fact that for example this file "HWRTNARSRM.logos4" from Dominick is dated "10/29/2009" and mine is dated "10/26/2009"

Another example is this file "INTBIBINT.logos4" dated "10/31/2009" and mine is dated "11/01/2009"

In my case I don't have to update the 2nd file because mine is newer, but how do I update the 1st one seeing that there IS a newer version available.

The same goes for some of the others that has been listed also. Logos4 always say that there are no available updates with "update now" and "update resources". I think the only time I had update messages was when I first installed, a few weeks ago when a lot of people posted having updates available (this update did replace some of my older .logos4 files with newer ones) , when I reinstalled and when 4.0a became available.

So I think the only times that I get updates is when I Install new and when updates are pushed out to everyone. But a lot of my .logos4 files are still in the "10/26/2009" date

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 5:55 PM

I did a little experimenting with my logos installation. If I hide and unhide the old resources they will download the newer version. I guess I can use this method to force an update if I know about the updated books.

I think there also is another bug between lbx and logos4 format resources. I moved some of my logos4 format files away to another folder. After some restarts Logos4 told me that some of the books were missing but is not giving any popups to download them again. I didn't do update resources because I think that will find the missing files and allow me to download them. Instead, I used the scan command to scan the folder were I moved those files to. The strange thing here is that after scanning it found the missing files, but it copied the ones from my libronix3 folder over. I checked the files and they were in lbxlls formats. Checking the dates on the .lbx files I noticed that they were newer than the .logos4 versions that I had in the other folder. I did the scan command again a few times. It never again picked up my .logos4 version files.

So, the bug that replaced .logos4 files with .lbx files was fixed. But I think we have another one in reverse. If an .lbx version file is in the resources folder it won't get replaced with the .logos4 version if the date of the .lbx file is newer.

I have no idea if others will be able to duplicate this problem or maybe it's just my installation acting crazy.

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 10:45 PM

Henry Finkle:
So, the bug that replaced .logos4 files with .lbx files was fixed. But I think we have another one in reverse. If an .lbx version file is in the resources folder it won't get replaced with the .logos4 version if the date of the .lbx file is newer.

Henry and Dominick,

I agree! See bug report I created on the wiki yesterday  http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_L4_not_updating_$2a.lbxlls_files_with_$2a.logos4_files

What you have to be careful about is using  date modified from Explorer, because that does not reflect the actual version. L4 stores resources using your current date and time; which is useful for picking the latest resources it downloaded. It is more variable with L3 depending how the resources were put into the folder!

To get the actual versions:

• With resource open in L3 go to Help | About this resource (or select it after a right-click on the resource title in My Library); you'll see Version timestamp with its location and filename.
  • in L4 open the resource and select Resource Information (i icon); you'll see the Version timestamp at the bottom.

It would be useful if you could use this information to compare the versions of the lbxlls files vs their logos4 cousins!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 11:04 PM

Dominick Sela:

OK my experiment worked, I:

(1) made sure everything was sync'd

(2) deleted the xblls-extension resources on my laptop

(3) copied over the logos4 extensions on the laptop

(4) deleted the index database and reindexed

That was obviously effective in stopping L4 replacing the resources!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:21 AM

Dave Hooton:

That was obviously effective in stopping L4 replacing the resources!

I tried update resources, scans, rebuilt indexes, many restarts, waiting awhile, and everything I could think of before I tried this, and the lbxlls files were not being replaced by logos4 files for those 24. I think others have seen this problem too haven't they? What else could I have tried? Is there something I should do at this point?

Posts 570
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 9:51 AM

I think some of this can only be sorted out by Logos rebuilding all their files into L4 format. All third party resources are in the lbxlls format and as we have seen with Galaxie, their newest update to work with L4 is still using the lbxlls file format. But a problem seems to accure when the third party publisher puts out files newer than what's on the Logos update server.

When Logos put the journal files on their server, the Logos file date was older that the rebuilt files that Galaxie first put out in early December. Logos 4 kept trying to update the newer Galaxie files with their older files! Finally with the last batch of files that Galaxie put out in mid and late December and the release of L4.0a this problem has now gone away!

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:15 PM

Dominick Sela:
I tried update resources, scans, rebuilt indexes, many restarts, waiting awhile, and everything I could think of before I tried this, and the lbxlls files were not being replaced by logos4 files for those 24. I think others have seen this problem too haven't they? What else could I have tried? Is there something I should do at this point?

You could list the file versions as I requested above, but this thread is referenced in a bug report that I created on the wiki -  just wait for Logos' response.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 98
Henry Finkle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 6:51 PM

Although I didn't note down the file versions (I read the post from Dave after I checked the files) I can confirm that the lbx files that aren't being replaced do have a date on them that are newer than the .logos4 versions. I've checked the dates within logos4 itself when I clicked on that "i" icon.

When I do a scan command, for example "scan d:\testl4books", I notice in the log file that it first scans that folder and finds the files but after that it automatically scans my libronix3 folders and then finds those new lbx files and copies those over. If I want L4 to pick those files from the "testl4books" I have to rename my libronix3 resource folders first.

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 4:42 AM

Henry Finkle:

Although I didn't note down the file versions (I read the post from Dave after I checked the files) I can confirm that the lbx files that aren't being replaced do have a date on them that are newer than the .logos4 versions. I've checked the dates within logos4 itself when I clicked on that "i" icon.

When I do a scan command, for example "scan d:\testl4books", I notice in the log file that it first scans that folder and finds the files but after that it automatically scans my libronix3 folders and then finds those new lbx files and copies those over. If I want L4 to pick those files from the "testl4books" I have to rename my libronix3 resource folders first.

Thanks, Henry.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS