Logos 'hangs' Windows 7

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
David Maxwell | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:43 AM

I am running Logos 5 on two platforms with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. On my laptop, no problems whatsoever. However, on my desktop PC, whenever I run Logos 5, within a few minutes, my computer hangs. I can run Office, Outlook, IE, or whatever I want else; I can leave my PC running for days at a time without any issues, but when I run Logos, it will ultimately 'freeze' up and require a reboot. Very frustrating when trying to prepare sermons and do studies.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Posts 8980
LogosEmployee

On a modern OS, it's usually extremely difficult for a normal program to freeze the whole computer. (Preventing that is one of the operating system's jobs.)

I suspect that something more low-level is wrong. First off, I'd recommend checking to see if you have the latest video drivers installed.

Posts 4
David Maxwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:06 PM

If it happened with other programs as well, I'd agree, but it only happens when I run Logos... Video drivers are up to date...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 12:26 PM

David Maxwell:
However, on my desktop PC, whenever I run Logos 5, within a few minutes, my computer hangs.

Welcome Big Smile

Please elaborate a bit more about desktop PC, especially curious about free disk space on C:, RAM installed, and memory usage.

Windows event viewer and/or Logos diagnostic log files may have hang cause.  Logos Support has logging information => https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/windows/problem

Wonder if Logos indexing is complete on desktop PC ?  

Note: when Logos 5 is running, thousands of handles are open, including many files.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
David Maxwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:09 PM

I have a 1Tb Hard drive with 700 Gb free. Processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor (3.2 GHz) with 8Gb of RAM. The CPU runs between 2 and 17% normally. Memory runs around 25-28% normally. With Logos running, this does not change much. The CPU Spikes occasionally to over 30% and memory runs around 32%.

I doubt it's an issue with the hardware, as that is robust in all other programs that I run. My experience with computer lock-up's like this are either software related, but in the smallest of cases, it was video card related.

If it was to occur with other programs as well, I would immediately suspect the video card, however because it's only with Logos, I suspect something with the program... (at present).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS