Free Vyrso book - 19 Jan: "What Did Jesus Really Mean When He Said Follow Me?" by David Platt

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:52 AM

Thanks Daniel.  Looks good!

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 8:42 AM

FYI - This is a "sampler" eBook.

Actually, I am not quite sure. It might be a stand alone booklet. (Often these kinds of eBooks are a sample chapter out of a larger work).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 9:19 AM

Here's a screenshot of the contents - it's the intro plus three chapters:

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 10:13 AM

Paul-C:
Here's a screenshot of the contents - it's the intro plus three chapters:

Here is a screen shot of the TOC from Follow Me. (I grabbed it from the Vyrso website... I don't own it). I am still unsure about the overlap. 

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 10:42 AM

This resource has been offered for free in the past so I picked it up last time.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1835
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 12:11 PM

thanks for posting about this

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 3:47 PM

on page 2 it says:   "This book is adapted from Follow Me: A Call to Die, A Call to Live, copyright 2013 by David Platt."

65 pages - audio is 45 minutes. One of this year's resolutions is to complete a book every week. I can read this one during the week I start a real long book Smile

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 4:43 PM

Robert Harner:
One of this year's resolutions is to complete a book every week.

That is an admirable goal.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 5:48 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Robert Harner:

That is an admirable goal.

He forgot the word "let" so he meant "booklet" LOL Stick out tongue

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 6:16 PM

DAL:

Cool  If that is what it takes to keep the numbers going . . .  the problem is i have 15 or so books laying around partially finished.

I'm finished starting books until I start finishing them. The goal is a way to encourage it.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 6:43 PM

Robert Harner:

Robert, if you are willing to also write brief reviews, feel free to contact me at "floydhj at outlook dot com" for details on how to get some of the newest books for free.  See http://pastor-patrick.blogspot.com for examples of what is available either as Kindle, etc., e-books or, in some cases, as paper books.  Sorry, no LOGOS books that I have seen.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:13 PM

Robert Harner:

DAL:

Cool  If that is what it takes to keep the numbers going . . .  the problem is i have 15 or so books laying around partially finished.

I'm finished starting books until I start finishing them. The goal is a way to encourage it.

Don't feel so bad, it's happened to me before; especially when reading N.T. Wright.  Sometimes he makes me yell at his books the following words: "GET TO THE POINT!" LOL Stick out tongue He's good, but in small doses, though.  I'm still trying to finish Justification: God's Plan and Paul's Vision but sometimes too many stories in between.  Now imagine when I get to Paul: Fresh Perspectives and the other books in the Christian Origins series.  I already have a headache just thinking about it.  Anyway, good luck with your goals!

DAL

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:15 PM

Floyd, writing reviews is something I've been contemplating for a while. I have a Wordpress blog reserved. Used to have a blogspot with one little post but looks like it is not there now. Writing . . .

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:49 PM

DAL:

. . .  Sometimes he makes me yell at his books the following words: "GET TO THE POINT!"  . . .

DAL

Late last year I bought a set of 14 hard back books for $100. After 37 pages of the first volume (unfortunately not at one sitting) I thought to myself, "Self, has he said anything yet?"

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 8:38 AM

Hi everyone,

Should I add this to my collection?  I am curious as I think a person should have a personal relationship with Jesus.

One of the chapter titles seems to suggest otherwise.  I honestly would not have time for anyone who disagreed.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:09 AM

JoshInRI:
Should I add this to my collection?

I don't know. I am downloading it to see if it is just hyperbole or serious. 

I have a lunch date with my wife so it may be this afternoon before I have an answer.

*Do you pass on all books you disagree with?*

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 2:37 PM

Super.Tramp:
*Do you pass on all books you disagree with?*

I was wondering the same thing. I purposefully try to have a selection of many perspectives within my library and not just the ones that fit my view.

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 3:29 PM

JoshInRI:
One of the chapter titles seems to suggest otherwise.

How do you know if you haven't read it? Huh?

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 3:45 PM

JoshInRI:

Hi everyone,

Should I add this to my collection?  I am curious as I think a person should have a personal relationship with Jesus.

One of the chapter titles seems to suggest otherwise.  I honestly would not have time for anyone who disagreed.

Why not download it and read for yourself; after all, it's free.  If you don't like it you can always hide it or even return it.  The chapter in question may just have a "catchy title" and that's all.  I've seen some headings in other books that are kind of catchy but when I read them it's a total different thing.

DAL

Ps. I don't think he passes on everything he disagrees, because it's impossible to agree with everything every book you own says.  If he did so (pass on everything he disagrees on) he'd be 100% inconsistent (which we all are to some degree or another).

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS