Typo Repair in the WBC

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 10547
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2014 4:39 AM

David J. Wilson:
On a more serious note: given the practice of leaving the authors original "potential" typos to avoid removing a possibly intended ambiguity, what do you think might have been the impact of such "typos" in the original Greek ? Surely Greek in NT times was no more uniform than our English of today, and subsequent scribes copying the originals would have done what if they came across a spelling that seemed to them a little "odd" ? Perhaps a cause for some of the differences that exist between ancient manuscript copies, is the same as we experience today when dealing with real or apparent English "typos"

Believe Metzger discusses some of these in A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament

David J. Wilson:
And then there are those of us who read "Southern American English" to mean that spoken with an Latin American accent by those from south of Panama....

True, but my Canadian friends also call the US American, so I gave up trying to tell people that we arrogant residents of the US are not the only people who can truly call themselves American.

David J. Wilson:
did you mean southern Maine or northern Maine ?

All my experiences with Mainers have been in the southern portions of the state, having lived in Kittery and then in Rochester, NH. Later, in the early 80's preached in York—still southern.

BTW: I was informed that Main-er was preferable to Main-iac Big Smile

Posts 1
Johnnie Ray Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2014 9:09 AM

I wish I had another lifetime to use Logos I'd be a much more informed preacher and teacher.  I've been with you guys from the beginning you have sure blessed my life.   

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2014 10:36 AM

Ayuh*, Johnnie, we sure have been gifted as blessings to each other.

*A conventional "spelling" of a Maine assent from one who grew up south of the Kennebec.

Posts 48
Chris Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 16 2014 7:25 AM

Jack Caviness:

RayDeck3:
You’d be surprised how many typo reports we get from users in the U.K. who think we’ve misspelled “center.”

Perhaps they need to learn American English Big Smile

I'd like to say it's "our" language Smile but we got it from the French/German/Nordic etc etc.So I guess we'll have to be good neighbours and not let the centre ground be coloured by our personal judgements Devil

PS Maybe we should send Logos this link? http://www.tysto.com/uk-us-spelling-list.html Big Smile

Posts 2
Emlyn Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 7:22 AM

And vice versa Jack Smile

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 7:46 AM

I spent two years in Jackson, MS for seminary and the most important thing I learned about Southern English is that y'all is the second person singular personal pronoun............all-y'all is the plural!

Posts 10547
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 11:41 AM

Emlyn Williams:

And vice versa Jack Smile

You are assuming that I remember what I said previously. Big Smile

Posts 1
Phillip Kohlmeyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 6:29 PM

Thanks for your faithfulness and persistence in correcting and improving Logos.

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 7:30 PM

Phillip Kohlmeyer:

Thanks for your faithfulness and persistence in correcting and improving Logos.

+1 Yes

And welcome to the forums, by the way. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS