Good Works On Conjunctions In Romans

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:02 PM

I'm studing Romans and Arcing my way through it. I have a few works that highlight conjunctions in it (mostly just BEC, plus a couple NT Commentaries that do (Alford & Schaff)), but I'm looking for more. Does anyone know which resources on Romans (commentaries or others) have a focus on conjunctions? Also does anyone know which (if any) works in the Classic Commentaries On Romans do this? 

Thank you!

Posts 13403
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:12 PM

I did a "by count" search for the word conjunction in many of my Romans commentaries, excluding the phrase "in conjunction". Presumably those that mention conjunctions most will be the ones that will be most useful to you.

The Exegetical Summaries are essential for your task, I would say. Here's a screenshot (from Romans 9:6) to give you an idea:

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:29 PM

Mark this is an excellent list! Thank you! I didn't even think of searching the word "conjunction". I didn't know the Exegetical Summaries were so comprehensive!

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:37 PM

Mark, I see there's one from the Classic Commentaries on your list. It says it's volume 2. It looks like It's the one by Charles Gore, but none of the titles on the Classic Commentary page match exactly. Any chance you remember which one? 

Thanks again! This is really helpful!

Posts 437
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:45 PM

Hi, Liam. You might also try expanding Mark's search to include the word connective.

Posts 553
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:50 PM

Liam Walsh:
Any chance you remember which one? 

Liam, I was recreating the search for myself when you asked this. I belive the book you are referring to is:

Godet, Frédéric Louis, and Alexander Cusin. Commentary on St. Paul’s Epistle to the Romans. Vol. 2. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1890.

Posts 2143
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 6:14 PM

have you done a visual filter on all morphed text for conjunctions (@C)?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 9:59 PM

I would recommend Steve Runge's book

Runge, Steven E. Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2010.

Of course, it is not geared simply to Romans and does not therefore deal with each instance, but his comments regarding the usage of each is instructive.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 25 2014 5:23 AM

David P. Moore:

I belive the book you are referring to is:

Godet, Frédéric Louis, and Alexander Cusin. Commentary on St. Paul’s Epistle to the Romans. Vol. 2. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1890.

Thanks David, yeah the cover looks extremely similar to the classic commentaries, but it isn't one. Thank you!

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 25 2014 5:26 AM

David Thomas thanks for the suggestion. Yeah I have tried that. Visual filters make it much easier thanks! 

George thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into Runge!

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 25 2014 6:10 AM

George Somsel:

I would recommend Steve Runge's book

Runge, Steven E. Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2010.

Of course, it is not geared simply to Romans and does not therefore deal with each instance, but his comments regarding the usage of each is instructive.

Yes Runge's Discourse Grammar is a good place to start. His upcoming Handbook on Romans may also suit your needs.

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 5:17 AM

Lee:
His upcoming Handbook on Romans may also suit your needs.

Thanks Lee, I've been eagerly awaiting this one!!!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS