Hebrew Spacing with maqqeph

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 19
DLS | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 25 2014 8:33 PM

It looks like the maqqeph is causing problems with the spacing of Hebrew characters (in BHS SESB 2.0 and BHW 4.18 on OSX). The example below is from Jer 48:22. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Posts 25846
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 1:54 AM

Spacing is fine in BHW 4.18 (version 2013-10-29T21:58:22Z) with either Ezra SIL or SBL Hebrew fonts - all I have.

Have you tried different fonts? What version of Logos?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 4:02 AM

Using Ezra SIL with LHB, BHS and BHW 4.18 in 5.2a Beta 4 Mac, I see no spacing problems. {Don't want to switch to SBL Hebrew as MS Office for Mac does not play pretty with that font.}

Posts 19
DLS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:33 AM

I'm working with Logos 5.2 SR-6. You're right, the problem is the font SBLBibLit. 

I'm sure someone wrote on this elsewhere but I couldn't find it—is there a way to add different fonts? I have numerous Heb fonts, including Ezra SIL, but I only have two options (see below). 

Too bad with SBLBibLit, the spacing with SBL is huge even with "tight" line spacing.

SBLHeb "tight"

SBLBibLit with regular spacing 

Hebrew font options

Posts 19
DLS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:39 AM

PS. Jack, you use Hebrew in MS word on a Mac... and it doesn't act like it's demon possessed?! What is your secret?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 8:02 AM

David Sobey:
I'm working with Logos 5.2 SR-6. You're right, the problem is the font SBLBibLit. 

I haven't tried that one, but SBL Hebrew seems to work just fine.

22 וְעַל־דִּיב֣וֹן וְעַל־נְב֔וֹ וְעַל־בֵּ֖ית דִּבְלָתָֽיִם׃

You seem to have a worse problem than spacing around the maqqeph.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 9:14 AM

David Sobey:
PS. Jack, you use Hebrew in MS word on a Mac... and it doesn't act like it's demon possessed?! What is your secret?

MS Office for Mac 2011. This seems to be an unannounced—or an overlooked announcement—in this last version.

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 9:21 AM

David Sobey:
is there a way to add different fonts? I have numerous Heb fonts, including Ezra SIL, but I only have two options (see below). 

Is Ezra SIL in your System Fonts Folder? Previously, Logos included an older version of Ezra SIL which would sporadically create a conflict with the system-installed version.

Ezra SIL font comes and goes in my Preferences

BUG: 5.2a Beta 2 Mac fails to recognize installed fonts Especially see the last 3 posts in this thread. If you are on the stable version, you may have to wait for 5.2 to be released to get this fix Sad 

Posts 19
DLS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 9:33 AM

Hmm, I'm working on Word 2011. According to a quick search around the interweb MS Word does not support RtoL text. Here's hoping to Mac Word 2014. Mellel is too meh for my taste. 

I suppose this isn't the right forum to complain about Microsoft products!

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 12:32 PM

David Sobey:
Hmm, I'm working on Word 2011. According to a quick search around the interweb MS Word does not support RtoL text.

In the past, MS has always blamed this lack of support on Apple. Word 2011 is not ideal for Hebrew, but it can be made to work. Mixing English and Hebrew on the same line requires a bit of forethought and manipulation. This screenshot shows some notes I made in Word 2011.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 2:03 PM

David Sobey:

Hebrew font options

This is the same issue that Jack mentioned. 5.2a will fix this (currently in beta) issue and allow SBL BibLit, SBL Hebrew, Ezra SIL or Ezra SIL SR to be used as your Hebrew font if you have those fonts installed.

To work around the issue, you can temporarily uninstall Ezra SIL from Font Book on your Mac to make it appear in Logos, although it won't be available to any other app. Once 5.2a is out of beta, you can reinstall Ezra SIL and Ezra SIL SR.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 25846
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 2:06 PM

George Somsel:

My SBL Hebrew doesn't put the verse number on the leftSmile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2014 2:50 PM

Dave Hooton:

George Somsel:

My SBL Hebrew doesn't put the verse number on the leftSmile

Yeah, I don't know why that happens, but it always has—even on other computers with other iterations of Windows.  No big deal.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS