Logos March Madness Bruce Waltke

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 64
JFritschJr | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 9 2014 7:58 PM

In the same vein as some other posts, I would encourage people to vote for Bruce Waltke in March Madness. He is currently neck and neck with Warren Wiersbe, and there is still time. Waltke has a number of very helpful works which are rarely discounted, including his commentary on Genesis which T. Longman lists as the best available in his opinion.

Posts 5092
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 8:13 PM

Waltke was comfortably ahead of Wiersbe up until I checked a few hours ago. I don't want to start a firestorm, but I'm 100% certain that the voting process isn't 100% secure. 

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, 64gb 3600 RAM, 2tb m.2 EVO Pro Plus SSD (x2), 12tb Seagate Barracuda (x2)...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 7743
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 8:55 PM

David Paul:

I don't want to start a firestorm, but I'm 100% certain that the voting process isn't 100% secure. 

I'm afraid that may be the case or else why in the world would Piper beat Craig Evans or why in the world all of the sudden David Jeremiah, (yes David Jeremiah) is catching up with Daniel Wallace? Or why in the world would Sproul beat Schreiner?

Piper goes on sale too many times and in my opinion is "canned food" material (i.e. you can borrow his sermons and preach 'em to your church), same goes for Sproul which is another "canned food" material type of guy.  I mean, I've learned a few things from them, but I'd benefit more from Craig Evans, Wallace and Schreiner.  Those are top scholars who help you do exegesis whereas Piper, Sproul or Jeremiah they're just expositors for lay people (you don't dig deeper with them, though I'm sure they know more than I ever will in my entire life, but you get the point).  Anyway, I'm still looking forward to some good deals from other authors if the ones I'm rooting for fall through the cracks.

DAL

Posts 5092
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:12 PM

Well, I think the plain and simple reason is that Piper is much more popular than Evans is--that's just the way it is. Piper has been ahead from the get-go. Now, whether that's the way it ought to be is another issue altogether...

The reason is that people vote for two primary reasons...one is name recognition. I think on some level you hit on the other one...simple utility of sermon-ready material. I have to admit though that when I went through the brackets a few hours ago I was shocked at some of the sudden reversals. The one with Wiersbe really surprised me, but there were others too. I'm pretty much done with MM, at least for this year.

The thematic concept (brackets similar to college B-ball) was novel a few years back, but I think Logos would do better sales if they just offered customers two components: 1) a list of approved authors not unlike what is offered during MM but much broader in scope, and 2) a series of percentage-off choices (again, similar to the current MM options) that could be applied by customers to the authors of their choice.

In this way, every customer could craft their own sales--satisfaction would go way up, acrimony would go way down. I could apply my 75% to Walter Brueggemann to my great glee, thus actually getting to spend some money to Logos's great glee, while some slow-poke who hasn't already picked up Carson's or Wright's stuff for whatever reason can buy those author's until they're coming out their ears and noses.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, 64gb 3600 RAM, 2tb m.2 EVO Pro Plus SSD (x2), 12tb Seagate Barracuda (x2)...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 19123
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:20 PM

David Paul:

The thematic concept (brackets similar to college B-ball) was novel a few years back, but I think Logos would do better sales if they just offered customers two components: 1) a list of approved authors not unlike what is offered during MM but much broader in scope, and 2) a series of percentage-off choices (again, similar to the current MM options) that could be applied by customers to the authors of their choice.

In this way, every customer could craft their own sales--satisfaction would go way up, acrimony would go way down. I could apply my 75% to Walter Brueggemann to my great glee, thus actually getting to spend some money to Logos's great glee, while some slow-poke who hasn't already picked up Carson's or Wright's stuff for whatever reason can buy those author's until they're coming out their ears and noses.

I like that idea. Better than forcing everyone to go with what the majority votes for. I probably already own, or don't want any books by, all the authors that would be on any "approved authors" list, however I think this scheme would work for most people.

Posts 5092
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:31 PM

By "approved authors" I'm just referring to the comments from Logos in one of the other threads (the one about the lack of women in the MM brackets, I think) that pointed out that they have certain criteria they apply when picking authors, the main one being they have to have publisher approval for the deep discount offering. But in the scenario I'm suggesting, whether an author has a ton of resources in Logos isn't a big deal since each customer is going to hold the cards in how and with which authors they want to apply their best sale percentages. If somebody with limited resources is happy applying their 75% to a single resource from an author with only one offering, it's no skin off anyone's nose.

The one addition Logos could add is the possibility of offering a few approved collections or series as well. That would be awesome in my financially-strapped world.

Posts 19123
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:49 PM

David Paul:
By "approved authors" I'm just referring to the comments from Logos in one of the other threads (the one about the lack of women in the MM brackets, I think) that pointed out that they have certain criteria they apply when picking authors, the main one being they have to have publisher approval for the deep discount offering.

I know. I just meant that their list of such approved authors for sales is pretty predictable by now. It is a superset of the list of authors in this year's MM, all of which are either authors I already own all the books by (N.T. Wright), or authors I don't care for and wouldn't buy any of their books even at 75% off. I might accept a freebie by some (such as John Piper), but would never pay for any them. My point was not to ask you to refine your excellent suggestion, which would be great for most people, but just to say I wouldn't likely take advantage of any sale they offer these days, because I already own pretty much everything in their back catalog that I'd ever want to buy.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS