March Madness is too easy to cheat :((((

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1434
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 10 2014 9:14 AM

March Madness web is to easy to hack and some people seems to me take full advantage of it. As Paul mentioned yesterday:

David Paul:

Waltke was comfortably ahead of Wiersbe up until I checked a few hours ago. I don't want to start a firestorm, but I'm 100% certain that the voting process isn't 100% secure. 

I tried to see how would the voting would work under " New incognito Window", to my shock, its possible to place votes as much as someone wants. This makes the whole game nonsense because many people could or have cheated already... Logos please restrict it to users only. 

PS: If only logged in users would be able to vote, this would stop all dishonesty. Anyway only registered users are able to buy something. Why not to restrict the web in order to protect the votes Wink

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 9:47 AM

Wild Eagle:

March Madness web is to easy to hack and some people seems to me take full advantage of it. As Paul mentioned yesterday:

David Paul:

Waltke was comfortably ahead of Wiersbe up until I checked a few hours ago. I don't want to start a firestorm, but I'm 100% certain that the voting process isn't 100% secure. 

This has happened before in a previous tournament. There was an astronomical jump closer to the deadline...'Technically' I don't think the rules state you can only vote once. I could be wrong. Although the spirit of it is not to have someone vote 500 times.

However, it's a bummer to see Waltke get pipped by Wiersbe...

Wild Eagle:

I tried to see how would the voting would work under " New incognito Window", to my shock, its possible to place votes as much as someone wants. This makes whole the game nonsense because many people could or have cheated already... Logos please restrict it to users only. 

PS: If only logged in users would be able to vote, this would stop all dishonesty. Anyway only registered users are able to buy something. Why not to restrict the web in order to protect the votes Wink

The user idea is a good one. However, I think that if Logos wants to draw business and interest from non-users to casual users then they'll probably just keep it an 'open' competition.

Cheers,

ChelseaFC

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 9:50 AM

Wild Eagle:
March Madness web is to easy to hack

Logos should take into consideration who the voters are and make it more difficult to cheat. (tongue-in-cheek)

I bet your guys are losing the vote, right?  Mine are. I am afraid the March Madness Sale has become a personality based popularity contest. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10214
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 10:12 AM

Hmmm ... now who would actually 'need' to cheat.  I know I usually select books on whether the author is cute or not  (since they're all guys).  Good personality?  Maybe.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 10:19 AM

With these Broken Heart concerns being voiced, why not take a look at my suggestion for revamping the March sale here. A few thumb-ups would help the cause.

YesYesYes

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 10:49 AM

Denise:

Hmmm ... now who would actually 'need' to cheat.  I know I usually select books on whether the author is cute or not  (since they're all guys).  Good personality?  Maybe.

LOL. Denise thanks for the best laugh that I've had all day!!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 12:53 PM

Wild Eagle:

David Paul:

I tried to see how would the voting would work under " New incognito Window", to my shock, its possible to place votes as much as someone wants. This makes the whole game nonsense because many people could or have cheated already... Logos please restrict it to users only. 

This topic gets brought up every year.

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 5:24 PM

We really appreciate all the interest and ideas around how to run a better March Madness promotion.  Please know we’re looking at all of it and making our choices very carefully.

While the suggestion of only allowing logged in users to vote is a good one, we elected to not pass user information beyond the walls of www.logos.com.  We are considering building it entirely on www.logos.com for next year which would allow us to do this.

In the past, we only allowed one vote per IP address, but this limited the number of voters significantly.  It wouldn't allow two users from a single household to vote. 

We’re still looking for the perfect solution, so keep the suggestions coming.

In the meantime, we’re leaving this in your hands.  

Perhaps we could shift the conversation from “cheating” to “campaigning”. . . Let’s not be voting until our fingers are sore.  Let’s get our friends, families, and communities engaged and voting too. 

Let’s use those share buttons to get the votes you want!

Good luck to everyone!

Posts 8971
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 5:26 PM

Glenn Airoldi:
Perhaps we could shift the conversation from “cheating” to “campaigning”

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 6:11 PM

Glenn Airoldi:

We really appreciate all the interest and ideas around how to run a better March Madness promotion.  Please know we’re looking at all of it and making our choices very carefully.

While the suggestion of only allowing logged in users to vote is a good one, we elected to not pass user information beyond the walls of www.logos.com.  We are considering building it entirely on www.logos.com for next year which would allow us to do this.

I'm glad to hear that Logos is listening to suggestions! Thanks.

Cheers,

ChelseaFC

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 6:19 PM

You can make it pretty easy to get a Logos account for those who don't have one (with no need to make a purchase) and then require membership to vote. Or you can have people log in via Facebook and have one vote per Facebook account. Facebook will give you their email address, so you can verify that someone is not voting once via their Logos account and once via their Facebook account. And if people don't want to sign up via Facebook they can still vote just through their Logos account.

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:11 PM

I would hope that people would have enough integrity not to vote twice.  We are all suppose to be followers of Christ.

-Dan

Posts 1838
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:19 PM

Dan Francis:

I would hope that people would have enough integrity not to vote twice.  We are all suppose to be followers of Christ.

-Dan

Are you serious??

if we voted twice, we're not the followers of Christ?

great

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:36 PM

Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil. Is what Jesus tells us. 

It is implied by the contest one should vote once, if you do otherwise you are not abiding by the rules.

But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast in God and know his will and approve what is excellent, because you are instructed from the law; and if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law. For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you. Is what St. Paul tells us.

Do what you see to be right, but it seems a slippery slop. People of God for me should try to adhere to their oaths, not steal be it a dollar or a million dollars, if your word is not good in a simple contest with a more than less meaningless result, how can anyone entrust you with anything.

-Dan

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:41 PM

I could be wrong, but I think he's baiting you, Dan.  ;)

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:49 PM

I bet in an hour a computer smart kid, and a borrowed script could have made Jimmy Swaggart win this year :/

Not that I want to see Swaggart win...

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1434
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 8:13 PM

Thank you Glenn Airoldi. It is really not nice to see one user with a hundred clicks to control thousands of votes. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 513
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 8:20 PM

abondservant:
I bet in an hour a computer smart kid, and a borrowed script could have made Jimmy Swaggart win this year

Thanks for that laugh. Most hilarious thing I've read all day!

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 8:25 PM

Paul Strickert:

I sincerely hope so... but was just wanting to make sure an ends justifying the means, or this really doesn't matter attitude was not what he was going for. 

-Dan

Posts 1838
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 10 2014 8:30 PM

Paul Strickert:

This man got it. Yes

anywho, since Dan took it seriously.. I want Dan to show me where under MarchMadness' AMERICAN LEGAL/ BYLAWS/ Terms & Agreements page that it said we MUST only vote ONCE. 

maybe I didn't look hard enough 

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS