Question on citations

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
Rick Cabral | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 12 2014 7:52 AM

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but I was wondering on the citations and when I pull that up or quote it cite it automatically as a footnote. Well I was wondering if I actually needed a page number as part of my citation like it's the real book thats sitting right in front of me, how can I get the page number as part of my citation? I hope that made sense. Thanks. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:16 AM

Yes, you will need to cite page numbers. There are a couple of ways to do this. First in the dialog box at the top of the resource you can select to display location by page number. For example:

Second, you can select from the filters to display page numbers in the body of the text. For example:

Notice the page number now shows up in orange with brackets:

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:19 AM

You can click on the screen shots to open them separately if you are having trouble viewing them.  

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:25 AM

I also wanted to make sure you were aware that you can copy the citation information from the resource information page. For example, notice the mouse in the upper right hand corner of the resource:

Posts 10604
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 9:51 AM

Rick Cabral:
how can I get the page number as part of my citation?

In addition to the good information Kevin has provided, please note that not all Logos resources are formatted with page numbers. In that case, you will need to consult appropriate style manuals on ways to reference electronic sources.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:20 AM

Also, if you are referencing a word in a lexicon you do not need a page number, because it is considered reasonable for the reader to be able to locate the entry in the lexicon. 

Jack Caviness:
you will need to consult appropriate style manuals on ways to reference electronic sources.
I have no idea how to reference a Logos book without a page number, so if you have information from a style manual please share it on the forum. 

Posts 10604
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:36 AM

Kevin Maples:
Jack Caviness:
you will need to consult appropriate style manuals on ways to reference electronic sources.
I have no idea how to reference a Logos book without a page number, so if you have information from a style manual please share it on the forum. 

Have not been in a academic setting for some time now. The best information I could find is http://shsulibraryguides.org/content.php?pid=138772&sid=1581463 

If you have access to Turabian, formatting information for electronic sources in found in section 15.4—That may only be for web pages, however. There is plenty of information for internet sources, but very little for electronic books. Guess the style gurus have not yet entered the twenty-first century Big Smile

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:57 AM

Jack Caviness:
Guess the style gurus have not yet entered the twenty-first century Big Smile
No, I don't believe they have figured it out yet. I just go find a print version in the library and use the page number out of it, because I don't want to have to deal with finding a style for an ebook. 

Posts 10604
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:16 AM

Kevin Maples:
I don't want to have to deal with finding a style for an ebook. 

Then, you would also need to have your institution agree to accept that style Roll Eyes

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:21 AM

all useful info.  I am a student and I have to cite.  my .02 is that this is really tough in Kindle books which sometimes insist upon giving ONLY a location.  Folks in here have offered great examples of good ways to cite.  Just be sure to turn Turabian on.  There are some places online that will help you preformat Turabian too and even some Kindle purchased Turabian Style Handbooks that are more up to date with electronic resources.  Also be careful the Turabian format or stylesheet in Office 365 is (to be a kind) a joke and requires extensive reformatting all the time.  I would love an Office template in Office 365 or latest office that knew how to properly format footnotes.  It kinda works but needs massive improvement, as do most Microsoft products these days.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:27 AM

JoshInRI:
my .02 is that this is really tough in Kindle books which sometimes insist upon giving ONLY a location.
Do Logos books have locations or something similar?  

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:48 AM

Kevin Maples:

Jack Caviness:
Guess the style gurus have not yet entered the twenty-first century Big Smile
No, I don't believe they have figured it out yet. I just go find a print version in the library and use the page number out of it, because I don't want to have to deal with finding a style for an ebook. 

The 8th edition of Turabian states that one can "cite by chapter or another numbered division" or "by chapter or section" if page numbers or locations are absent in an electronic book. See Turabian 17.1.10 on page 181. 

Posts 10604
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:01 PM

Kevin Maples:

JoshInRI:
my .02 is that this is really tough in Kindle books which sometimes insist upon giving ONLY a location.
Do Logos books have locations or something similar?  

Just tried all four options under the resource menu (URL HTML WIKI RL). They will only work if the one checking your sources has Logos and that particular resource.

URL— logosres:988c91a9506f90329c53829d4687974a;art=r8;off=19292

This is one sample for "How the Bible Came to Be (eBook Short)" at a random paragraph. Not sure this resource has a paper edition.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 2:59 PM

_:
The 8th edition of Turabian states that one can "cite by chapter or another numbered division" or "by chapter or section" if page numbers or locations are absent in an electronic book. See Turabian 17.1.10 on page 181. 
Good to know. My school follows Harvard style, so I haven't looked at Turabian in a few years and I haven't seen the 8th edition. Thanks for the info. 

Posts 19
Rick Cabral | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 5:08 PM

Thx guys for the help!! Gonna try and do it now. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS