Renaming tabs

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3395
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 16 2014 11:38 AM

Is there any way to rename tabs. In Chrome you can rename your saved bookmarks so you display more along the ribbon. In L5 you can not do this. Renaming would be helpful, especially if you have numerous tabs open, but are crowded too closely to see the actual tab name.

mm.

mm.

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 12:31 PM

I assume you're want interactive re-naming (since the user can manage the tab label using the short resource description; what I do).

Interactive is nice where you have several of the same resource open, or several search panels. 

Unbelievably OT, but it'd be nice if the iOS version used the user-edited short descriptions.  I don't know how many times I'm reading a book I can't tell which it is in iOS Logos.  AQMZ3 page 5!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3395
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 12:33 PM

So how can we do this?

mm.

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 12:37 PM

How can we do what? (ie suggest to Logos interactive tab labels, supply user tab labels,etc?). I'm just confused as usual.

If it's user supplied tab labels, one goes to their library, clicks on the resource to get the info box. And then clicks on either the resource title, or the smaller short label.

Logos uses the user-edited title if there's enough tab space; else the user-edited short title.  I have both edited for my most used resources, especially where small tabs are the rule in my layouts.

If one edits the title (instead of the short title), remember the edited title is also used in all the various menus.  So you get several 'bangs' for your buck by careful editing, to fit tabs, menus, and so forth.

Posts 3395
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 12:58 PM

Ok real simple. Can a tab be renamed when you have a book open? What I want to do is have all my tabs at the top of my study window in a shortform name so the "tabs" don't take up so much room at the top of the window.

mm.

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 16 2014 1:03 PM

Yes, any renaming of the resource updates the layout immediately.  That'd seem like the hard way (vs your suggestion) but on the other hand, the custom label remains for as long as you want (multiple layouts, and so forth).

Posts 5
Howard Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 10:53 AM

Exactly my question (many years later). Did you ever get an answer that works?

Posts 25724
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 1:30 PM

Howard,

6 years later, with Logos 8, the inactive tab size is invariably the book/tool/document icon plus space for the + delete icon. With fewer tabs, you may also see a short book title or a tool/document title. The active tab will display its icon, short title and + delete icon. Tab size is dynamic as you open different tabs. Beware of documents that are created automatically as their long title will be used e.g. passage list, merged passage list.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5
Howard Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 1:33 PM

I sure appreciate you responding. What I was trying to ask is whether I can rename a tab, say from "Search" to "S:Secessionists" 

Posts 29087
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 1:49 PM

No, but you can rename resources including abbreviated title giving you some control over the tabs.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25724
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 1:55 PM

Howard Lewis:
What I was trying to ask is whether I can rename a tab, say from "Search" to "S:Secessionists" 

You can't rename a tab as its contents in Logos 8 are variable. If a tab contains a book you can give the book a Short Title (or rename its Short Title!), but you can't rename a Search tool or any other tool.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5
Howard Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 2:19 PM

I see. Thank you very much. I hope this helps others, too. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS