My Protestant base-package upgrade choice (from OLL)

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 18 2014 1:40 PM

See this post by me today March 18. 2014: Features only purchase and/or new package set for egalitarian/ecumenical Protestants.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 4:18 PM

bump!

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 4:45 PM

OK, so why did you bump this? Were you desperate for an answer? It seemed like in that other thread you were just reporting something you'd done already that you were pleased with. It doesn't seem to warrant any reply.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 5:10 PM

I just mean that I have a hard time recommending any other base-package. Verbum Foundations+ International which I also have can be worth something if You need the Church Fathers, it's a tremendous improvement over the previous Edition. Starter and Silver are two of the most worthless base-packages if not talking about Diamond which is even worse. The Reformed base-packages are bad choices, the only good thing about them is that Exegetical Summaries can be received for a smaller charge than the regular base-packages, but on the other hand I've only seen the purchase of just 1 one volume from it as necessary (Jude).

No base-package or Logos 5 Core Datasets are excellent options.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 8:21 AM

bump!

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:46 PM

Why do you keep bumping this?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:49 PM

Because so many new base-packages are on an introductory sale right now, I don't recommend them.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:54 PM

Unix:

Because so many new base-packages are on an introductory sale right now, I don't recommend them.

One individual's lemon is an orange to someone else. To each their own. That is the beauty of Logos Bible software. They provide the tools for you to choose.

Think of it as a buffet, you get to pick and choose based on your taste. Right now I am having a fiesta.  Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 12:59 PM

Unix:

OK, so you've said your piece. If people didn't see it the first time, when they see you "bumping" it they're going to think you are impatient for an answer. That is what "bump" usually means. If you are trying to convince people not to buy things that are currently on sale from Logos, then you are working against the company's best interests and they probably don't appreciate your use of the forums for that.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 1:06 PM

I wouldn't say that, the left over money from not buying, can be used on individual titles, collections, and pre-pubs. Trying to afford both big base-packages and additional purchases can be difficult. If You sink all Your money into a big base-package You have little choice left unless You are going to spend many thousands of $ during a lifetime:

Rosie Perera:
If you are trying to convince people not to buy things that are currently on sale from Logos, then you are working against the company's best interests and they probably don't appreciate your use of the forums for that.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 1:12 PM

OK, fair enough, but to just keep bumping your thread because you feel it's too important to be overlooked is kind of rude. There are hundreds of posts every day and yours isn't any more important than all the others.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 1:24 PM

I will compensate by not posting at all during some periods.

A lament: there doesn't seem to be any Logos 5 specific book and package discussion forum. This forum has a lot of bug-reports but not much else. The General forum can be about any version.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 51
Richard Labelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 2:41 PM

Lynden is having a "fiesta" so let me respond to that: Yes, Logos has some software issues to deal with but look at what they have done already! I believe it's nothing more than amazing ... and Lynden is absolutely right, with Logos you have the choice to "pick and choose". To me, Logos Bible Software is a real blessing. I don't look at what is or might be wrong but concentrate on what is done right - and there's plenty around - for that, I am very grateful for such an amazing software. Thank you Logos. Keep up the excellent work! I am looking forward for what you have for us in the future. God bless you!

... pursuing excellence in Christ Jesus!

Posts 26282
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 5:04 PM

Unix:
A lament: there doesn't seem to be any Logos 5 specific book and package discussion forum.

To me, this is a positive - not a negative. First, the Logos community is large and diverse. Books I think are trash are other peoples' gems. And books I think are critical to get into Logos formats others can't believe one would read by choice. Not knowing what others perfer keeps me honest - I don't judge them by the books they keep.

I know you both seek and offer advice - that's fine. That's part of the diversity of the community. But that doesn't mean I really want to read the same message from you over-and-over which is what a bump causes. If on the other hand, you have gone through the packages in detail and want to show why a particular package is unlikely to be useful to the general user/pastor and provide the supporting evidence, I'd be glad to read the posts.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 5:53 PM

Have you reviewed the Anglican, SDA and Reformed Base Packages?

And there are others coming.  [[Hope they find something that you like]]

Unix:

And Yes, ordering individual resources makes it a sure bet that you just might use everything in your Library.  

But where is the fun if you know that all of your searches will agree with you?  Angry

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:29 PM

MJ. Smith:
If on the other hand, you have gone through the packages in detail and want to show why a particular package is unlikely to be useful to the general user/pastor and provide the supporting evidence, I'd be glad to read the posts.

I am afraid that you have opened up a can of worms.  I expect many detailed posts to follow!  Stick out tongue

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 4:25 AM

The Anglican base-packages had not been released when I posted.
I'll see if I can find a bit of time to write some details. (A demanding hermeneutics class is soon starting but I don't yet have all the books for it as they gave the list only a week in advance.)

EDIT: my review of the Catholic base-packages has been posted on my profile since about mid-December 2013, it says that I value Verbum Foundations+ $160 beyond ECFs.

EDIT2: now I saw there are two new Lutheran base-packages. But those won't be interesting as I don't attend the liberal Lutheran Church just across the street.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:23 AM

The currency-exchange rate is rather bad at the moment, or else I might take L5 Anglican Bronze on a test-run. I'll see if it miraculously gets better before the sale ends. A better option still would be to wait for L6 Anglican Bronze. I'm curious about Goldingay's 1-2 Chron -volume in the Old Testament for Everyone -series. I see that a volume containing Proverbs and a couple of more books is coming out later, might want to pre-order that at AZ as printed matter. Pre-ordering the Old Testament for Everyone -series from Logos seems a bit expensive and would contain uninteresting volumes such as 1-2 Kings. So waiting for it to be split up is an option. What I don't like about L5 Anglican Bronze is having to pay for the New Testament for Everyone -series by N. T. Wright - I'm really not pleased how he promotes the New Pauline Perspective in it:

MJ. Smith:
If on the other hand, you have gone through the packages in detail and want to show why a particular package is unlikely to be useful to the general user/pastor and provide the supporting evidence, I'd be glad to read the posts.

In: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/82787/580324.aspx#580324:

abondservant:

Unix my friend, you're running the risk of becoming a trumpet only capable of sounding one note. We get it. You don't like base packages. Its ok. Many of us do :). We borrow an expression from the french: C'est la vie. Such is life.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:52 AM

Unix:
What I don't like about L5 Anglican Bronze is having to pay for the New Testament for Everyone -series by N. T. Wright - I'm really not pleased how he promotes the New Pauline Perspective in it

Unix, anyone who writes a scholarly book about Paul today will have to interact with Wright and the New Perspective, so you too should be able to voice the arguments on both sides.  It's just like when we talked about the Continental Genesis volumes, certainly there is more there than just the Documentary Hypothesis, but you refuse to read it because of that one aspect.  N.T. Wright's works have so much more to offer than just promotion of the NPP.  You will never know that because you refuse to read anything that has any element with which you disagree, and you are going to miss out on some wonderful literature.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:58 AM

Even Wright has moved beyond the NPP recently. I don't have the time or energy to study every theory, perspective and theology. Studying Paul is complicated enough as it is, I don't need to complicate the study further:

Joseph Turner:
N.T. Wright's works have so much more to offer than just promotion of the NPP.  You will never know that because you refuse to read anything that has any element with which you disagree, and you are going to miss out on some wonderful literature.

EDIT: I don't understand the value of adding this perspective, it would mean more costs by purchasing more books - most of them expensive.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS