5.2a RC1 (Win): Feels like a bug

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:10 AM

This is probably just "designed behavior with lack of forethought" rather than a bug per se, but it feels like a bug to me.

• Have a resource open with its table of contents pane open, somewhere in the resource but not at the end, with the focus in the resource pane.
  • Click the double-chevron icon to close the TOC pane.
  • Now hit Page Down.

Result: Nothing happens.

Expect: the resource to scroll down a page.

The reason this is happening is that when you click on the double-chevron icon, the focus goes there, so it's lost from the resource pane itself. The Page Down key thus disappears down into a black hole and is not processed by the window you expect to process it.

Solution: set the focus back to the resource pane whenever someone clicks on the double-chevron icon to open or close the TOC. Leaving the focus on an icon that does not process most keyboard input (except Enter and Spacebar) seems kind of pointless.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:32 AM

I agree

EDIT: I experienced the same Logos behavior. Also, if after the 3 steps Rosie described one hit spacebar, the TOC returns. I did not know that spacebar functioned as a "undo" button!

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:39 AM

toughski:

I agree

EDIT: I experienced the same Logos behavior. Also, if after the 3 steps Rosie described one hit spacebar, the TOC returns. I did not know that spacebar functioned as a "undo" button!

It doesn't function as an "undo" button. It functions as a "click on the control that has the focus" operation. You can do it in any Windows dialog box. Tab around to move the focus highlight to different fields or buttons in the dialog. Spacebar will check or uncheck the currently highlighted item in the dialog if it is a checkbox. It will click a button if that's the thing with the focus.

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 8:12 AM

Rosie Perera:
The reason this is happening is that when you click on the double-chevron icon, the focus goes there, so it's lost from the resource pane itself. The Page Down key thus disappears down into a black hole and is not processed by the window you expect to process it.

I can reproduce this and I will create a case for Development to investigate this issue.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 11:09 AM

Rosie Perera:
This is probably just "designed behavior with lack of forethought" rather than a bug per se, but it feels like a bug to me.

Good news: it works on Mac, so it is a bug.Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:24 PM

fgh:

Rosie Perera:

Good news: it works on Mac, so it is a bug.Smile

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS