Is there a possibility that Logos may release Logos 6 this year?

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2964
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:04 AM

I am curios to know whether Logos is planning to release Logos 6 this year.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:20 AM

Even if Logos knew, and I'm not sure they do, I don't think they would share this information with us. Some on these forums have expressed that they hope this doesn't happen this year. Time will tell.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:21 AM

Tes:

I am curios to know whether Logos is planning to release Logos 6 this year?

Why?  It's just a number.  Unless they come up with a version that washes the dishes for me, I don't see much need for a higher number on the program.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:40 AM

George Somsel:
Why?  It's just a number.  Unless they come up with a version that washes the dishes for me, I don't see much need for a higher number on the program.
I would rather have it make my bed and do my laundry; I already have a dishwasher. 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:54 AM

A few minutes ago I gave advice to someone (who is on a budget and has Academic Pricing), not to buy a base-package: I would like advice on Bible software - Christianforums
... and that was based on completely other things than whether (or when) Logos will release L6.

I'm not particularly excited about L6 - I doubt anything I need will be offered. It's very unlikely I upgrade my base-packages. Upgrading to an L6 Core Datasets might be an option though if it's something I will use a lot and if it's upgradable to L7.

To be able to advise others, I wonder if it will be possible to upgrade from Core Datasets directly to an L6 Core Datasets or L6 Minimal Crossgrade? I certainly hope so.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:15 AM

I am super-excited about the stable 5.2a that just came out. Good Job, Logos!

Looking forward to Logos N (it's when they fix NOTES, finally)

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:36 AM

I've read some rumors on this subject lately... But I've seen what happens to date posters :P

The rumors are still in the same place I found them, and so I'll let you look for your self.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:51 AM

toughski:

I am not going to be holding my breath. 

Posts 10959
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 7:07 AM

tom, I had to laugh. I really wonder what new people do with notes on Logos.  I don't even use them and mine are all mixed up now (highlights).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 7:26 AM

So far windows has been working on a three year cycle. Logos 4 (2009) Logos 5 (2012). So if they continue this trend,  Logos 6 will ship in 2015.

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 8:49 AM

It's somewhat easy to tell. If you look around for those who are normally on the secret alpha/beta test team, they start posting a lot less within a few months before a major version release.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 4921
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 8:59 AM

Denise:

tom, I had to laugh. I really wonder what new people do with notes on Logos.  I don't even use them and mine are all mixed up now (highlights).

If I had to choose between being a quadriplegic or losing my L3 notes, it wouldn't even be a contest. I can pay someone to do a lot of things, but no one could recreate my notes...in a lot of ways, not even me.

Posts 4921
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 9:03 AM

toughski:

As far as I'm concerned, that is virtually impossible.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 9:11 AM

David Paul:

Denise:

If I had to choose between being a quadriplegic or losing my L3 notes, it wouldn't even be a contest. I can pay someone to do a lot of things, but no one could recreate my notes...in a lot of ways, not even me.

We're ALMOST in agreement here though I certainly wouldn't want to become a quadriplegic—I'm not sure that I would even if there were another undesirable alternative.  I once had to reconstitute many of my notes in L4, but fortunately I was able to reimport them from L3 so all that was necessary was to update them which was considerable work in itself.  In my opinion notes are muy importante.  Many use highlighting but I don't in favor of notes.  In notes I can say precisely what I want to state and never be concerned that 6 mo later I won't know what I meant.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 9:12 AM

Tes:
I am curios to know whether Logos is planning to release Logos 6 this year.

Unlikely: a) it's less than 1.5 years since the launch of L5; b) we're still only at 5.2.

And either way, they won't tell until it happens.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 9:16 AM

Who cares? They keep releasing new versions anyway. 5.1, 5.1a, 5.1b, 5.2, and now 5.2a is close to shipping. I would expect a 5.3, 5.4 and so on, to be the next releases. I'd rather they keep working on incremental additions than do a major overhaul again. Actually 4 --> 5 wasn't a big user interface overhaul like 3 --> 4 was. So as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what they call it, as long as they keep adding new features and don't disturb what we're getting familiar with.

Posts 4921
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 9:53 AM

I would bet that a main consideration in the question has less to do with the possible addition of new features, and more to do with the shuffling and reconstitution of resources that comes with new releases, particularly since taking advantage of these new resource updates can be costly. Logos has tons of irons in the fire, and many are quite pricey. It makes perfect sense for customers to take a long term look at what Logos is doing. I missed the end-of-year sales this year and so I'm going to be looking to take advantage of what comes up this year--but L6 in Nov. would probably throw a massive wrench into my plans.

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:21 PM

I don't think it will be released this year.  If I remember correctly 3 years have passed since each release:

Logos 3 - June 2006
Logos 4 - November 2009
Logos 5 - November 2012

My guess is that Logos 6 will be released November 2015.

This is important.  That means much (all?) of my 2015 book budget will go toward upgrading to get whatever fantastic books they have in the Logos 6 base packages (L5 was not as good as L3 and L4 in this regard, though).  But my money is free in 2014 to spend on sales and single products that are released (which is good since I've already used up my budget for the year - d'oh!).

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 1:13 PM

Rosie Perera:
So as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what they call it, as long as they keep adding new features and don't disturb what we're getting familiar with.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 1:56 PM

What they need to update is their website. With all the wacky stuff going on with CP and the lack of a good search engine.

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS