Logos speaking selection

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 7 2014 1:29 PM

I'm using Logos 5 with Mountain Lion on a Mac (all latest version) - I'm trying to get some things down, so I'd like Logos to read a few articles to me.

I've tried several times, selecting text or a tab - and using Start Speaking. Nothing happens...

Has anyone experience with this? Any suggestions?

thanks

Posts 5505
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 2:36 PM

Jacques:

I'm using Logos 5 with Mountain Lion on a Mac (all latest version) - I'm trying to get some things down, so I'd like Logos to read a few articles to me.

I've tried several times, selecting text or a tab - and using Start Speaking. Nothing happens...

thanks

Jacques I don't have Mac version but with PC version it does not work by reading a portion of text you highlight it, rather it simply start's reading from the place you are in the text and stops when you press pause or stop on the audio toolbar that displays at the top of the screen.  For PC it can be activated from the book menu or by pressing Ctrl-R.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 3:33 PM

Jacques:

thanks

I just gave it a try on a Macbook Pro with Mavericks and it worked fine on the NRSV. All I did was:

1. Open the NRSV
  2. cmd+R

I did notice that it's not enabled for the 2011 NIV. If you click on the image of the cover of the resource to bring up the resource menu, it will offer you the option if it's enabled, and will say "disabled for this resource" if it's not. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 7:33 AM

Jacques:

I'd like Logos to read a few articles to me.

Jacques,

The rest have point you to how to get the article to be read.  See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/83212.aspx for some Bugs or issues I raised with ReadAloud.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 10:52 AM

Why is 'Start Speech' broken? Why is it even there, if it doesn't start speech?

Thanks for Command R tip, that works - but no pause I can find. No 'go back a few moments' feature when I miss something, no speed up speech (I use this in podcasts quite a bit) - this feature is certainly not thought out very well. 

But at least it does speak a bit! Hope to see big improvements here...

thanks everyone

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 10:58 AM

Shortcuts like Command R, mentioned here, in other Mac apps are always in the Menubar of the app. Although Speech is mentioned in the Menubar, it doesn't work at all nor has a working shortcut assigned. This shortcut that works to start and stop speech isn't listed anywhere in the Menubar listings...

Isn't this basic app principal? Why not eliminate these hoops to jump through? Why did I have to even ask in the forums how to have the Mac read me text?

Shouldn't this sort of thing be obvious?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS