How Do You Use Logos?

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 8 2014 11:29 AM

We're starting a new blog series about how people are using Logos 5 for their passion projects and other interesting endeavors. 

If Logos Bible Software plays an important part in the work you do, we want to hear about it. Leave us a comment in this thread about how you're using Logos.

Perhaps we'll feature you in the How Do You Use Logos blog series!

You can check out the first post in this series here: How Do You Use Logos: Jeffrey Kranz

Posts 2
Carolyn M Hudler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 2:13 PM

I am currently writing a Book/Bible Study on the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.  The Passage Guide and the Exegetical Guide have been instrumental in the research for this book

Posts 15676
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 3:23 PM

I use it for a variety of needs. Sporadically (once or twice a year) I use it to prepare a sermon. A few times a year I use it to plan a worship service. The rest of the time I use it to do devotional scripture reading, read books, or research things I'm curious about.

Posts 2509
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 3:43 PM

Like Rosie for me it it mostly devotional reading, but also the occasional book i am reading that I have got in the Logos ecosystem. Occasionally if it have it open i will use it to trace the original greek or hebrew word behind the english. I am seriously considering using Logos to help me learn the original languages better, I can muddle through transliterating in my mind greek but Hebrew is greek to me to make a bad joke.

-Dan

Posts 310
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 5:28 PM

For reading, and even note taking, I prefer to use Logos and Vyrso on my iPad.

For research when I teach classes I first start by creating a Favorites category for that class.  Then I launch searches of my library and accumulate the resources and articles as links in my Favorites.  This usually leads to sub-categories in the Favorites like "To Investigate".  Just setting up Favorites for research can take several hours. 

In recent research efforts I have created a special "clippings" file just for that topic where I can accumulate snippets of information gleaned from the searches.  Sometimes specific class session topics get their own "clippings" files; e.g., Ordo Salutis.  The clippings contents can be used to create slide ware.  (However, I have recently been using Freemind mind mapping software for presentations instead of slides.) By keeping clippings and notes files limited to specific topics, they can be reused more easily.

Posts 66
David Beard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 6:20 PM

I use it to prepare Sunday School lessons--I have over 1,150 note sets for many different studies I have done...I also use it as a resource to create Biblical Thinking Maps...Click here for example https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67576060/Heb1%205thru14.jpg or visit Biblion Study Group on faithlife.com to see many more...David Beard

Posts 4038
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 6:22 PM

I do almost all of my Bible study, sermon prep and research using it and most of my reading unless a book is not available in Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2
Hilary Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 9:54 PM

I've been using Logos since the 2.0 days (Level 4).  I've used it for devotional reading, bible study or just reading.  More currently however, I've added another use.  I've been serving with Youth With A Mission in Ukraine for the past 13 years.  Teaching is a big part of what I do.  I've taught in a handful of countries in the region in Discipleship Schools.  My Logos 5 is ideal for this.  I have all my teaching material in my note field on the left.  To the right I have my NASB95 on the top and the Russian Bible below.  All my scripture references are hot linked to my Bibles which are linked together.  This is especially handy for my translator who can simply look at my screen to see the Russian version (which is identically marked with highlights and underlines etc).  Particularly handy is the fact that Logos 5 automatically adjusts for the differences in Bible verses.  In Psalms some books are different.  For example Ps 53:1 in English is Ps 52:2 in Russian.  Logos 5 accounts for that and adjusts accordingly.  GOTTA love it!!  Looking up additional verses, using the information window, maps - all of it is right there a click away, which makes teaching SO nice.  I don't ever teach without my Logos.

Posts 15676
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 10:02 PM

Hilary Lind:
I've been serving with Youth With A Mission in Ukraine for the past 13 years.

Wow, I hope you're in a safe part of Ukraine. It's been frightening watching what's happening to that country. But also heartening to see Christians holding fast to their faith in the midst of uncertainty.

Posts 10068
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 8 2014 11:28 PM

I use Logos for a wide range of activities:

• For personal devotional reading 
  • For general background study (normally have four-five books on the go in various reading plans)
  • For regular sermon prep using the desktop
  • For notes when preaching using my iPad
  • For accessing and following Bible readings and sermons in church when I am not preaching (iPad)
  • For preparation and delivery for other ministry tasks - children's talks, adult groups, etc
  • For study associated with my Master's degree

Similar to others it is very rare that I use a physical book anymore.

Posts 87
Pinoy Preacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:36 AM

I do use Logos on a lot of things. Among them are:

a) Sermon Preparation for each Sunday Worship Service

b) Reading eBooks during long hours of travel which I often do (Android App)

c) Lesson preparation for subjects I teach on our informal Modular Bible Courses

d) As reference to the two articles I have written for our organization's official organ which is the Philippine Pentecostal Herald.

Posts 34
John Fallahee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:20 AM

Over four years ago, I started www.LearnLogos.com. The goal was simple: Equip individuals to study the Bible for themselves with Logos Bible Software.

Several times a month, I provide free live training and Q&A over the internet on various topics like forgiveness, the Millennium Kingdom, Greek and Hebrew, Theology, and so much more. Over 100+ topic based videos have been created. Additionally, there is the 3 DVD training bundle, that is the most comprehensive, affordable training for Logos Bible Software on the planet. With 500+ videos/21+ hours of training, we take you from basics to the advanced. This training is transforming the way individuals, teachers, and preachers study, teach, and preach the Word. My four-fold approach to training is as follows: (1) Overview the features of Logos (2) Connect those features to Bible study tasks (3) Organize those tasks into a systematic Bible study approach (4) Reveal how to use key books for each step of the Bible study process. 

There is no easier way, more affordable way to get trained, than with www.LearnLogos.com.

John Fallahee, MBA, M.Div.

Posts 1
Paul D. Nitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:32 AM

χαίρετε φίλοι,  

My first Logos was on floppy.  For years, I only used it as one would expect a pastor to use Logos: exegesis.  About 8 years ago, I started to use it more in helping me to teach Greek, mainly through the Kairos book, digital grammars, vocabulary lists, and looking up examples in the GNT of grammatical constructions I would be teaching.

A couple of years ago, my use of Logos increased hugely.  I found a better way for my African ministerial students to learn Greek.  I teach via communicative methods such as Total Physical Response, Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling, and "WhereAreYourKeys" language learning game.  Teaching via the communicative approach means I need to be the fluent speaker of Koine.  That, in turn, leads me into very specific studies of Koine.  

Is it correct to say "his name"  ὄνομα αὐτοῦ or is the default ὄνομα αὐτῷ ?  

If I tell someone to "stop!" should that be in the Active (παύσον) or Middle (παύσαι)?  

A recent search had me asking, "When you use a ὥστε + Infinitive + Acc + Adjective, what case should the Adjective be in?"  (Answer: Nom - ὥστε γενέσθαι αὐτὸν ὀξύς).

Part and parcel of teaching via a communicative approach is composing simple Greek stories.  I just gave my students a study sheet for their Term test.  The sheets were simple 28 stories (4000 words) in Greek that I had composed this year to teach Greek constructions.  In composing Greek stories, Logos has been indispensable.  

I have a Logos layout specially set up for this.  For example, six Greek dictionaries are in one Link Set so that when I look up a word in one, all display the same word.  

I often do reverse seaches of Greek dictionaries.  So, I have a search panel set up to search for English words in Middle Liddel.  If I want to know theword for "kitchen" in Greek, I can easily find τὸ ὀπτάνιον.  

I use Logos to research forms and how they are used in Koine.  A more recent resource that downloaded has been particularly helpful, Lexham Analytical Lexicon.  It very conveniently lists all forms of a word as used in the GNT.

See a little video I made showing Logos as one of three ways to check forms when composing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkduA-SyJVc&list=PLpxcmJ23ymcVIuZMjt5jyQQ8zt07628B1&index=3 

[BTW, I have tried many times unsuccessfully to use the very promising Syntax Search to help me find examples of constructions.  Where are comprehensive and comprehensible directions for Syntax Search.  Logos help has not been helpful here.   I've failed at even the simplest search, such as finding του + Infinitive constructions in the NT.  Instead, I waste time searching for τοῦ and skimming through all the "Next Context" results for infinitives.]

Posts 1115
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:42 AM

Jayson Bradley:
Leave us a comment in this thread about how you're using Logos.

I just posted a short blog entry on what I learned from the new "Most Used" data in Logos: http:/bit.ly/Q1LcQm

-Donnie

Posts 1220
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:42 AM

I'm very much a mood reader which means that whatever mood I'm in for that day(s) I'll read or study. For instance, I may feel like reading Baptist history. So I have my "layout" designated "Baptist History" open with all my baptist history books spread out on my monitors. I just dig in and study. On another day/week I may feel like reading about about Genesis or the Reformation. I open my Reformation layout and continue on from the last time I was there. 

And then there's my Random Readings layout. In it I have tons of books that I just go "blonde" on. Can't decide which book to read? Try this one on the Nephilim, No? Ok try reading OT theology. Not working either? Let's go to stewardship. What about this one?.... Not in the mood today? Ok later. At that point I usually end up closing Logos and do something else, like walk my buddy, or turn on the golf channel and veg for a bit.

Also, I'm witnessing to a Jehovah's Witness friend so I'll have open the Witness CD with all their studies/books/magazines open, along with Logos and any Kindle books that I may have. I'll have One Note open as well and do my research that way.

Although not like the old days when we would have 5,10,15 paper books 'layered' on our desks for sermon prep., I do still have one or two open if I don't have a Logos replacement. Funny sometimes I miss holding (and for those who do it as well) smelling an actual book in my hands.

mm.

Posts 750
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:11 AM

1.  Personal devotions.  I have reading plans that take me through the scriptures with the Read Aloud feature enabled.  Highly recommended! Additionally, there are a tone of daily devotional resources to enhance my time with the Lord. 

2.  Personal study.  Similar to others, I use specific layouts to do topical studies, as well as inductive book-by-book studies.

3.  Teaching and Preaching lesson/sermon preparation.  There is no other application I've seen that brings together all the resources, features, and data mining/manipulation tools needed to immerse a learner in the Word like Logos.  Incidentally, I endorse both John Fallahee's excellent LearnLogos.com free webinars and CDs, and Morris Proctor's seminars.  I don't believe that the average Logos customer can become a functional user without these third party resources.

4.  Research.  Yes, Google returns great fuzzy logic results, but Logos is my goto resource for in depth theological digging.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 617
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:22 AM

1. Sermon Prep: I do all of my sermon preparation with Logos now. I type the pericope into the input box on the home page. Then I start with the passage guide. I read several of my commentaries on my iPad, which syncs my highlights with my laptop. I then dig into exegetical issues that I noticed in the reading. I also created a palette for marking my Bible. It is made up of outline boxes, large fonts, and bright colors. I use it to mark up the passage for my sermon. It really helps me visualize the structure of the text. 

2. Academic research: I read, use highlights, and clippings. The most useful feature in Logos for research is the ability to search my entire library. 

3. Personal devotion: I read books on my iPad. 

Posts 1220
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 8:18 AM

Donnie Hale? I get this when I click on your link.

Posts 62
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:05 PM

I like to use Logos while I am doing a John Fallahee webinar.Big Smile

Logos has also helped me to learn more about following Christ, improve my Greek, and is irreplaceable for my sermon prep.

Posts 6404
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:13 PM

@Milkman ... did you get chosen for the beta test for the new Logos Mood Ring?  Selects your resources based on your mood (along with some great moody emails).

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS