If you could link only one resource ...

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 11 2014 3:28 PM

If you could link only one (maybe two) resources to a Bible

to follow as you read through the text,

what would it be???

It depends on what kind of reading, I suppose, but you can include that too if you wish.

I was thinking about: if you are going through a passage in a Bible Study setting. 

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 3:33 PM

My Church's Bible Commentary and Faithlife Study Bible

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 765
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 3:40 PM

I generally read split screen on my iPad with the ESV on the left and the ESV Study Bible in the other pane. But I hide the ESV Study Bible most of the time so that I get a full two columns for the Bible text.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 4:15 PM

I link another translation in separate window so I can refer to it at a glance, or even change versions with left-right arrow keys using parallel resources.  Left arrow for paraphrastic translation, right for literal. In a tab of that window, I link study bible notes which I refer to less often. (NET notes for translators comments or ESVSB for brief commentary)

Edited.

Posts 7260
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 5:42 PM

Moody's Bible Commentary would be the one (or Baker's Illustrated Bible Commentary - one volume too).  I just wish the Moody commentary really had the capability of linking to a Bible so it will follow as you read through the text.  Over all I'm very impressed.  I think (just my opinion) this new commentary is better than the New Bible Commentary by Carson.  As a friend of mine said when he looked at the way it's outlined and explained, "This commentary will preach." 

DAL

Posts 10953
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 5:59 PM

Ron, you left out 'zero'.  Absent a follow-me linking in Logos, I don't connect commentaries; it creates a mess.

Now in Libronix .... Well, that'd be zero once again.

But in Laridian, I link the NET Notes for a nice once-over on the text.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 4919
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 6:04 PM

Denise:

Ron, you left out 'zero'.  Absent a follow-me linking in Logos, I don't connect commentaries; it creates a mess.

Now in Libronix .... Well, that'd be zero once again.

But in Laridian, I link the NET Notes for a nice once-over on the text.

Fortunately, in L3 the NET Bible is just a single left arrow away from NASB. I use it often.

Posts 1195
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 6:40 PM

Scott S:
even change versions with left-right arrow keys

Scott, this is interesting. Can you explain how you are able to use the arrow keys to change resources? This sounds like a very helpful tool!

Posts 64
Posts 5286
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 7:42 PM

DAL:

Moody's Bible Commentary would be the one (or Baker's Illustrated Bible Commentary - one volume too).  I just wish the Moody commentary really had the capability of linking to a Bible so it will follow as you read through the text.  Over all I'm very impressed.  I think (just my opinion) this new commentary is better than the New Bible Commentary by Carson.  As a friend of mine said when he looked at the way it's outlined and explained, "This commentary will preach." 

DAL

Does it show up in the passage guide? Just curious.

-Dan

Posts 522
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 8:24 PM

Ron, I would link my favorite Study Bible and my favorite one volume commentary.  For study bibles I like the Faithlife, ESV Study Bible, and the HCSB Study Bible.  For a one volume Commentary I like Bakers or The Bible Knowledge Commentary.  I would begin with prayer, read through the text several times, do my own inductive study of the text, read the text again along with the study bible notes, read though the text again along with the commentary notes. I would then seek for ways to apply what God had shown me from the text and finish my study with prayer asking God to help me to understand and apply what I had studied. 

I hope that many more people will respond to your post, you have asked a very good question.  I am excited to hear what some of the more experienced Logos users here will have to say.

Posts 2842
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:08 PM

Ron Corbett:

If you could link only one (maybe two) resources to a Bible

to follow as you read through the text,

what would it be???

It depends on what kind of reading, I suppose, but you can include that too if you wish.

I was thinking about: if you are going through a passage in a Bible Study setting. 

I keep the Bible text in one window, and BDAG and HALOT in the other window.

If I do link a commentary, it would be the NICOT/NT.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 7260
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:52 PM

Dan Francis:
]

Does it show up in the passage guide? Just curious.

-Dan

The Moody Bible Commentary doesn't appear in the Passage Guide since it's listed as a monograph and not a commentary, which is very unfortunate for such a fine one volume commentary. Sad

Posts 7260
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:56 PM

Michael Childs:

If I do link a commentary, it would be the NICOT/NT.

Well, if full commentary series/bundle count as "one" resource, then I guess I'd have the WBC or would buy NICOT/NT and then have the HALOT/BDAG bundle linked to it also.  The only bad thing is that neither WBC or NICOT/NT are complete in Logos.

DAL

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 12 2014 2:16 PM

Liam:

Scott S:
even change versions with left-right arrow keys

Scott, this is interesting. Can you explain how you are able to use the arrow keys to change resources? This sounds like a very helpful tool!

Liam,

1. Make a collection of the bibles you want to switch to with the left-right arrow keys.  Check “Show in parallel resources” option.
  2. Open one of bibles in that collection.
  3. At the top of that window, select the “Parallel resource sets” icon. Select the collection name just created. Click on that icon again to close Parallel resource sets.
  4. Click on the bible’s text to make it active. Press left or right arrow keys.
  5. You may have to fiddle with the collection a bit to get the bibles in the preferred order.

The Wiki provides additional explanation so you can be take better advantage of this feature. http://wiki.logos.com/Parallel_Resources   Mark Barnes video shows the procedure beginning at 3:35.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS