CP Works of Charles Taze Russell

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1059
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 17 2014 1:12 PM

I know these kinds of discussions come up all the time and everyone has their perspective  [Example here. I agree with Phil and enjoyed the discussion], but I was wondering what the community thought about the Charles Taze Russell works.

I want to be clear: I am not opposed to having JW works in Logos. I see tremendous benefit to having these things available for research, and so I'm glad that we can buy them and get the benefits of Logos on resources like these.

However, JW is not Christianity. Yet I feel like the product summary page gives it legitimacy, as if JW is within the historic stream of the faith. Perhaps I'm the only one, so that's why I ask. But from my perspective, given Logos' association with biblical Christianity, offering up this product without any description about the heterodox nature of the material seems like it could trip some people up. It reads like someone who just had a slightly different theological angle, not someone who denied the bodily resurrection of Jesus and the biblical divinity of Christ.

Perhaps it's time to bring up the tagging suggestion again.

Posts 6491
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 1:33 PM

William, the customer must beware before they buy. Logos customers cannot even agree on what is Orthodox or acceptable. 

One persons lemon is another persons orange. Not interested in that price, but if it goes lower, I will jump on board.

If it mentions the Bible, or helps with Bible study, (JW use the Bible, even if their own translation) then it belongs in Logos. 

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6491
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 1:36 PM

Put in an order for Thirty dollars. My interest was stimulated.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 2:48 PM

I'm not sure where to draw the line for that should be "Bible Study" worthy, but from another perspective, having access to the primary documents would be helpful for apologetics.  In that aspect I am interested, but I think that $30 is still more than I care to pay for what would be a cursory reading and they occasional reference (like once every 5 years).  

That being said, I don't like having what seems like anything in Logos.  Dracula to Poe to whatever other there is out there.  But I don't have to buy any and they don't have to be in my library, so its not too big a deal.

Posts 3310
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 2:55 PM

William.

You raise a valid point regarding a Logos disclaimer. It would be nice to have a section of non-orthodox resources, but I can see that being quite dissentious. Who calls what what?

I have been associated with the Witnesses for over thirty years now. My first remembrances go back to when I would follow them around my neighbourhood and knock on the doors just after they did. I would tell the home-owner about the Watch Tower and Tract Society (WT) and share with them the 'real' Jesus. I remember the Witnesses driving by me glaring and saying to me I was a 'goat' as opposed to the sheep class.

What I have found out was using "OLD" material to witness to the witness was not very helpful. If you can get your hands on any of their current CD's that have their material on it, that would be very helpful.

However, in saying that old material is not useful, it does give you a firm foundation and past teachings that you can use to show a Witness how the WT has changed over the years etc.

mm.

mm.

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 3:33 PM

Milkman:
It would be nice to have a section of non-orthodox resources

I thought we had a very large section - everything Western after the Great SchismWink My point is that there is no common definition of "orthodoxy". I find some trinitarian groups more offensive than the JW. I don't believe that Logos could add disclaimers in a manner that didn't offend a significant portion of their clientele. But I am one who would be offended if I walked into a bookstore that didn't believe I was smart enough to choose books for myself. A few staff recommendation cards are as far as I want them to go.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 17 2014 3:37 PM

Caveat emptor

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10651
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 18 2014 3:27 AM

Milkman:
However, in saying that old material is not useful, it does give you a firm foundation and past teachings that you can use to show a Witness how the WT has changed over the years etc.

Don't remember now which resource, but one of those in this collection Jehovah’s Witness thought and theology was written by a former Jehovah's Witness (David Reed, I believe). He argued that the best tactic for dealing with them was to point out the changes that have taken place in their doctrine over time.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 18 2014 6:35 PM

Milkman:
I have been associated with the Witnesses for over thirty years now. My first remembrances go back to when I would follow them around my neighbourhood and knock on the doors just after they did. I would tell the home-owner about the Watch Tower and Tract Society (WT) and share with them the 'real' Jesus.

Bravo

Posts 231
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 18 2014 7:15 PM

Milkman:
I have been associated with the Witnesses for over thirty years now. My first remembrances go back to when I would follow them around my neighbourhood and knock on the doors just after they did. I would tell the home-owner about the Watch Tower and Tract Society (WT) and share with them the 'real' Jesus.

What a creative way to share Jesus. Yes

Posts 117
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 19 2014 6:32 AM

Jack Caviness:
He argued that the best tactic for dealing with them was to point out the changes that have taken place in their doctrine over time.
Have you ever been able to point out anything to a JW?

Posts 10651
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 19 2014 8:45 AM

Paul C:

Jack Caviness:
He argued that the best tactic for dealing with them was to point out the changes that have taken place in their doctrine over time.
Have you ever been able to point out anything to a JW?

Once or twice, I believed I may have planted a seed. All we can do is proclaim the truth. The application of that truth is the ministry of God the Spirit.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS