WARNING TO LOGOS—slow down

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:48 AM

For the past 2 months I have had to dig into my savings to finance my Logos addiction, and it appears that next month will follow suit.  I try to restrict my addiction to current resources.  This will not continue.  Either the pace of publication slows down or I will start cancelling orders.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:50 AM

I have already started to cancel orders - and have had to do so for the last few months. Its really made me pick and choose what I want the most. All in all that aspect has probably been healthy; but I hate having to cancel something I gave my word to purchase.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 8:52 AM

George, I can totally relate to what you are saying. For the first time ever I began to cancel some orders this past month. I'm guessing that perhaps we are not the only ones in this predicament.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6218
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 9:19 AM

George Somsel:

For the past 2 months I have had to dig into my savings to finance my Logos addiction, and it appears that next month will follow suit.  I try to restrict my addiction to current resources.  This will not continue.  Either the pace of publication slows down or I will start cancelling orders.

Actually Logos is not the problem, you are.  They are a business and they have to sell to keep things rolling.  They will continue to sell whether you cancel orders or not.  Remember, you said it yourself is YOUR Logos ADDICTION.  Perhaps it's time for you to get some help, because Logos can, indeed, be addictive.

I personally have cancelled several community pricing and a lot of my pre-pubs to fund 3 upgrades (Anglican Silver, Reformed Silver and Spanish "Tesoro" [Treasure] Library).  I cancelled those orders being aware that some of those I really didn't need and that with the upgrades my payment plan didn't go over my monthly "book budget." I'm sure you don't need a lesson on finances because you know about your finances, but sometimes, like you said "a Logos addiction" can blind you to just keep spending and spending and the only one getting in trouble is you.

Now go get some counseling...Wink

DAL

Ps. Maybe you could resell some of the things you don't need on the facebook Logos resale page.  A few users are doing that to buy other stuff that they actually need.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 9:20 AM

abondservant:

I have already started to cancel orders - and have had to do so for the last few months. Its really made me pick and choose what I want the most. All in all that aspect has probably been healthy; but I hate having to cancel something I gave my word to purchase.

Well said! This is my situation too (especially after buying four new base packages in the last few months!)

That said, presumably Logos is rolling out resources so quickly because there are enough people to buy them. As much as it pains us to be left behind with certain resources, more overall sales for Logos means a more sustainable company - which is something we all benefit from. I guess the tension between keeping existing customers happy, whilst also trying to attract new ones, is something most businesses have to face at some level. Tongue Tied

Posts 6218
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 9:30 AM

abondservant:

but I hate having to cancel something I gave my word to purchase.

As I said to George, Logos is a business, it'll continue selling regardless of your individual purchases.  They always win.  Also, you placing an order and then cancelling does not equal to you not keeping your word because it's something that happens every day.  Now unless you told Bob, "Hey I give you my word I will purchase these items," then I think you should ask for wisdom as to when you can actually give "your word" and when not, because certainly, giving your word to purchase something that will put you in a financial bind and in turn make you a poor steward of your money is not something you should be doing or getting yourself into.  It would be a sin, not the fact that you give "your word" and then cancel your order but to buy something that will put you in financial hardship - that's not good stewardship.  God doesn't want you to do that.  So don't feel obligated to purchase something if you don't have the money to buy it just because you placed and order and then cancelled it; because that's pretty much what it is, you placing and then cancelling - it is NOT you giving your word.Smile And if you have an addiction like George, then seek help; because Logos can, indeed, be addictive.

DAL 

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 9:33 AM

I'm club President, been there done that wearing the shirt. Who wants to be V.P., Treasurer, and Secretary.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:09 AM

Several months ago I issued a warning to me: Stop!

The free market is a wonderful thing, it will produce everything the consumer will purchase. When the consumer stops purchasing, the free market automatically scales back. After slamming on the brakes, cranking down the emergency brake, and turning off the engine. I'm just glad Logos has other consumers keeping the lights on.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:20 AM

Quite obviously, a bit of maturity and discretion needs to be exercised here.

I have a friend who disciplined himself by registering and deregistering his credit card before and after every single purchase. Needless to say, that cooled him off quite a bit before hitting those buttons.

If one is to accept all the marketing and blurbs at face value, then there are a of Christians out there who aren't equipped, aren't praying powerfully, and who are missing out on God's potential or revelation one way or another. In the bigger picture, how true could that be?

Anyway, I don't think I'm in a position to hold Logos culpable. They are a business after all. They should only be held responsible for quality issues and material misrepresentations.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:34 AM

Speak for yourself, John.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:47 AM

The real issue here isn't 'self-control', normal market principles, etc.

The issue is the price AFTER the CP/PP.  Some of these are 90% 'discounted'.  I put that in quotes since the final price is quite often exhorbitant.  

I often cringe (well sort of) when I recommend a volume to someone (and then happily let him know the price I didn't pay).

Eat your wheaties now, or get a better job.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:52 AM

What cools me off is why buy stuff if it may well end up in a base package for pennies on the pound?

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:53 AM

Ive canceled three pre-pubs and one community pricing. The pre-pubs I can order again without losing out on saving  big bucks, but canceling community pricing items you actually lose out alots of savings if you cancel those. Lucky for me it was something that I can do without.

Posts 2060
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:02 AM

I wish I had better control, to only put on Pre-Pub and CP what I had money to cover. To put money on my "Logos" card at the time I place the orders. That would be smart. But I'm struggling at the moment also. I just put $200 on my card to cover the next two weeks of pre-pubs. I need to add $300 to that to cover my next payment plan deduction. And then I'll need another $250 to cover the following two weeks. I'll likely have to remove some of those.

I can't blame it on Logos as there is a practical way ensure the money is there before ordering, but I do wish they could find a way to plan the releases in a way to spread it thinly for the largest number of bidders. Although, that's not a trivial task either.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:10 AM

Randy W. Sims:

I wish I had better control, to only put on Pre-Pub and CP what I had money to cover. To put money on my "Logos" card at the time I place the orders. That would be smart. But I'm struggling at the moment also. I just put $200 on my card to cover the next two weeks of pre-pubs. I need to add $300 to that to cover my next payment plan deduction. And then I'll need another $250 to cover the following two weeks. I'll likely have to remove some of those.

I can't blame it on Logos as there is a practical way ensure the money is there before ordering, but I do wish they could find a way to plan the releases in a way to spread it thinly for the largest number of bidders. Although, that's not a trivial task either.

The problem is not with the ordering.  It is with the release.  One never knows when these will be released so it is impossible to plan to have enough on hand to cover the expense.  Some seem to sail through from first posting to publication with little time in between while others may languish in "Under Contract" for a year or more.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:13 AM

And yet, who can blame Logos for this? Only someone with a lucid mind and locus standi to boot, to be sure.

There are more protests that resources have been languishing in development. These have more merit (especially if more than one competitor already got it).

The savings of pre-pub versus the unpredictability. Sounds like a fair trade.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:30 AM

I wouldn't say its an addiction. I have an allowance from my church to spend 100$ a month on titles here. I've managed to keep the cost per title down around 1$ (1.12 to be precise), and that has been from making good use of pre-pub, community pricing and base packages.

I average about 150-200$ a month spent (50-100$ out of my own pocket). All in all I feel I've done well considering my budget (5041 titles now).

Clearer communication regarding the timeline of certain products might lower the rates of bids being canceled on ours is I think the point of the thread. Because in truth, its unrealistic to expect a company to produce less product if the market will support it.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:32 AM

NA28 apparatus anyone?

I think what's coming off the shelf at Logos might be refined a bit.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:36 AM

I have all but ceased my Logos purchases. One of the first steps toward this victory was the practice of having the money on hand when I made a purchase, and marking it "allocated" once the purchase was made. It's not mine to "borrow", No matter how long it takes to actually see the resource.

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 11:53 AM

Yep, I know how it goes. When it rains it pours!

Lots coming through in May. I look over my list carefully to see what I really want.

But, I've been waiting forever for Sophocles. And I refuse to cancel it.

Ergatees

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS